TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Had an interview last Wednesday and they said they’d get back to me end of the week/ beginning of this week. Still nothing, should I send an email to ask, or would this be too pushy?
I would wait until next week as they might be really busy and with the holidays coming up they might not be as responsive. Send an email after the 8th of April if you do not hear anything before then.

Reactions: Tcla555

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
Why are we getting so many law firms saying they got unprecedented number of apps? Just off my head, I can remember that SH, Akin, Cooley, Dechert all said this. Are they being nice to not hurt applicants feeling, are some firms just getting more visibility or is the number of career seeker in the legal industry increasing in general? Genuine curiosity🧐

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
With online presence rising I think more people find out about firms they have never heard of or considered. With application forms being online and more sites like this one listing and prompting people students are just more aware of firms. With the cost of living in London more are applying to highly paid firms. More people who may end up working in regions apply to London and think if I can do that for 5 years I can buy a house outright if I move back home then.

Lostlawstudent

Mar 26, 2024
Why are we getting so many law firms saying they got unprecedented number of apps? Just off my head, I can remember that SH, Akin, Cooley, Dechert all said this. Are they being nice to not hurt applicants feeling, are some firms just getting more visibility or is the number of career seeker in the legal industry increasing in general? Genuine curiosity🧐
From my experience it’s unprecedented every time! That word is so overused. I remember getting told that when applying for entry level legal jobs in Australia like 5 years ago. Never changes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
AI is partly to blame (apparantly) as more people are resorting to it to churn out applications.

But I think it’s also something that firms have been saying for a long time now when they get more applications than they need.

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
As others have mentioned I think it’s just something firms say, partly as a justification for the inevitable follow-up sentence ‘we are unable to provide feedback…’

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2023
It's probably true! Everyone wants to be a lawyer these days

hopefulforatc

Star Member
Mar 3, 2024
yes all the firms say this. I wonder know when will SH get back.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.