TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
I feel like that's worse? Firms will want to train you up there. No good firm is gonna hire me as an NQ that way.
The word “good” explains what the system was trying to achieve.

The idea is that the good firms fund anyway and the self finders get the rest of the firms who save on SQE costs but lose out on training.

It creates a weird scenario where qualifying can become a negative if you have big firm ambitions but had bad application cycles and only widens the two tier gap

desperateTCseeker1998

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Can you get postgrad student finance for the SQE? I won't be getting any financial support from my parents and the grants from firms will probably only just cover rent lol
My understanding is that you can if it's a LLM SQE course, so on that note does anyone have a list of firms where the SQE course they put you through is a LLM lol
yet another reason it's funny to hear the SQE be called more accessible

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Yes but then I dont get why do they progress the application to the VI, if they have to review the form again.
For some firms the VI is automatic so it is necessary for them to consider both. For others they might refer to what you’ve said in the application when reviewing your VI responses (e.g. to check you haven’t just read the same answer). For others they might only skim the application form to check you’re eligible etc. before sending out VIs and then check the application form more thoroughly post-VI…etc. There are a whole range of reasons and each firm will have its own approach.

Reactions: hopefulforatc

humbledlawyer

Feb 8, 2024
I am in a v privileged position to have two vac schemes for the summer but they unfortunately clash - one of the schemes has two dates. How would I word an email to GR about moving my vacation scheme to the earlier date without it sounding as if I am prioritising the other scheme or the wrong tone etc

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am in a v privileged position to have two vac schemes for the summer but they unfortunately clash - one of the schemes has two dates. How would I word an email to GR about moving my vacation scheme to the earlier date without it sounding as if I am prioritising the other scheme or the wrong tone etc
Just explain the other scheme has no flexibility with dates, and therefore you wondered if you could move to their other scheme as this looks to be the only opportunity to do both schemes.

They will have experienced this many times over, and will not see it as an issue - they will just give you a yes or no answer. If the answer is no, then you’ll just have to work out which firm to accept/decline.

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica, i had a telephone interview yesterday and I don’t know if I’m overthinking but, at the end of the interview I was not asked if I had any questions. I was wondering if that’s probably a common thing to happen since phone interviews are short and should stick to the allotted time, or if I should have spoken up before the interviewer ended the call and asked questions either way

• 🏆
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica, i had a telephone interview yesterday and I don’t know if I’m overthinking but, at the end of the interview I was not asked if I had any questions. I was wondering if that’s probably a common thing to happen since phone interviews are short and should stick to the allotted time, or if I should have spoken up before the interviewer ended the call and asked questions either way
Yes, this is more common in telephone interviews and especially if they are tight on time. Sometimes telephone interviews are outsourced too, so the person interviewing you might not have been able to answer any questions anyway.

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
Tell the firm in the email that you have sent this to both firms (even if you have not)

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Has anyone heard from SH summer scheme post-app? it has been a while now.
I think SH just doesn't send a PFO email if they don't consider your app. I applied back in October and selected all three schemes (winter, spring and summer) and haven't heard anything, not even a holding email. That being said, I have seen SH send test/interview invites in April/May so I wouldn't lose hope completely. Just for those that applied 6 months ago, it's pretty poor communication from the firm imo.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.