TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lookingforaTC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2024
The benefit of self funding SQE is that paralegal work you may later get or even have already completed counts towards the qualifying work experience so you can qualify as a solicitor having never done a training contract if you never get one but use just qwe instead.
I feel like that's worse? Firms will want to train you up there. No good firm is gonna hire me as an NQ that way.

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Do firms review the application again after the VI stage? or getting an AC depends just on the VI.
No single answer for this - it is entirely firm-dependent. I would say the latter is more common but there are also many firms who view the VI/application form in conjunction, possibly alongside other tests as well, when making AC decisions.

It’s one of those frustrating things where you really just have to look at how each individual firm conducts their recruitment process.

Reactions: hopefulforatc

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
I feel like that's worse? Firms will want to train you up there. No good firm is gonna hire me as an NQ that way.
You would be surprised. Many of the larger firms are now taking interns, then keeping them on when they are NQ and indeed the qwe is all relevant to their practice area rather than 6 months in 4 different areas. Thus they are better at that area than a NQ trainee. Same as FILEX solicitors always were.

And indeed sometimes interns who have SQE behind them are switched by firms who like them onto their training contracts.

hopefulforatc

Star Member
Mar 3, 2024
No single answer for this - it is entirely firm-dependent. I would say the latter is more common but there are also many firms who view the VI/application form in conjunction, possibly alongside other tests as well, when making AC decisions.

It’s one of those frustrating things where you really just have to look at how each individual firm conducts their recruitment process.
Yes but then I dont get why do they progress the application to the VI, if they have to review the form again.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.