TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Lawapplication

Standard Member
Jan 29, 2024
Do recruitment teams change each year or do they remain with the same people for some period of time? I applied for something last year, but I completely underperformed in the final stage/my interview (it objectively was horrific on my part!) and I would like to reapply this year but I feel embarrassed to- because I’m worried that they’ll remember how bad I was.

It sounds egotistical to think they would remember me, but I really was such a mess that it was laughable. I’m just a bit worried about it : (
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! : )

midnightsky990422

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica, i had a telephone interview yesterday and I don’t know if I’m overthinking but, at the end of the interview I was not asked if I had any questions. I was wondering if that’s probably a common thing to happen since phone interviews are short and should stick to the allotted time, or if I should have spoken up before the interviewer ended the call and asked questions either way

VS for me.
I heard last Friday for VS

Reactions: sm99

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    Hey guys I still haven’t heard back post-AC from White & Case. I wanna send them an email asking for an update but I’m not sure if they’re open tomorrow (or for half day) as it’s Good Friday. Do you think it’s worth sending an email tomorrow or should I wait after the Easter break?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys I still haven’t heard back post-AC from White & Case. I wanna send them an email asking for an update but I’m not sure if they’re open tomorrow (or for half day) as it’s Good Friday. Do you think it’s worth sending an email tomorrow or should I wait after the Easter break?
    No one will be back until Tuesday 2 April at the earliest now.

Reactions: jasonbourne

BrunoLevi

Aug 7, 2023
    My assessment score

Above Average x 4 and Average x1
    I have an AC next week and had average x4 and above average x1. A friend of mine did better than me in that same test, similar score to you, but didn't get through either. From what I've gathered they didn't care about your grade so long as you passed their minimum benchmark. It was entirely dependent on your answers to the scenarios and if it correlated with what they wanted to see in a trainee.

Reactions: safari3

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    I have an AC next week and had average x4 and above average x1. A friend of mine did better than me in that same test, similar score to you, but didn't get through either. From what I've gathered they didn't care about your grade so long as you passed their minimum benchmark. It was entirely dependent on your answers to the scenarios and if it correlated with what they wanted to see in a trainee.
    I didn’t even make the job sim though

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Just a question for some advice.

I'm going to be spending a week with a law firm completing an internship. They have a training contract deadline coming up soon before I start. Do you think it is worth applying the TC?

I didn't apply for a Vac Scheme because the type of firm was not on my radar - in terms of their practice focus, location and academic expectations. I never thought I would have a competitive application as I am a non-law graduate who has around average/above average grades with only volunteer experience and part-time work in hospitality. I think what works in my favour is perhaps diversity and social mobility but again the weighting on that is not something to rely on a lot.

I know one week is not a substantial amount of time so I have a lot of hesitancy applying after considering this. But seeing as I have made it this far, do you think I should keep on pushing?

I just feel unprepared for what the TC is demanding and my application is perhaps not as competitive. My academics are decent but by no means stellar. Based on their previous A - level requirements I am 1 grade off what they desired. However, all they ask for now is a "good academic history and a 2:1". As I said before, I lack legal experience, but this is changing with the internship I will complete with them.

These are just my concerns at the minute. I know the query can only be answered with sending an application in but I'm thinking maybe it is better to apply after completing a formal vac scheme with them? (this is dependent on me securing one of course!) Or should I at least apply after having a legal job for a substantial amount of time, such as an admin assistant for a law firm?

Interested in any thoughts!

Reactions: tcla888

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Just a question for some advice.

I'm going to be spending a week with a law firm completing an internship. They have a training contract deadline coming up soon before I start. Do you think it is worth applying the TC?

I didn't apply for a Vac Scheme because the type of firm was not on my radar - in terms of their practice focus, location and academic expectations. I never thought I would have a competitive application as I am a non-law graduate who has around average/above average grades with only volunteer experience and part-time work in hospitality. I think what works in my favour is perhaps diversity and social mobility but again the weighting on that is not something to rely on a lot.

I know one week is not a substantial amount of time so I have a lot of hesitancy applying after considering this. But seeing as I have made it this far, do you think I should keep on pushing?

I just feel unprepared for what the TC is demanding and my application is perhaps not as competitive. My academics are decent but by no means stellar. Based on their previous A - level requirements I am 1 grade off what they desired. However, all they ask for now is a "good academic history and a 2:1". As I said before, I lack legal experience, but this is changing with the internship I will complete with them.

These are just my concerns at the minute. I know the query can only be answered with sending an application in but I'm thinking maybe it is better to apply after completing a formal vac scheme with them? (this is dependent on me securing one of course!) Or should I at least apply after having a legal job for a substantial amount of time, such as an admin assistant for a law firm?

Interested in any thoughts!
    Just apply you have nothing to lose

Nine

Standard Member
    Feb 15, 2024
    Has anyone heard back from GB yet? I’ve emailed them at the start of the week and I’ve had no response? It’s surprising because I have not seen a load of offers on LinkedIn either and someone on this thread said the Dubai office hasn’t responded either, but if anyone has had previous experience with them please let me know :)

midnightsky990422

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 10, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre I had my Browne Jacobson telephone interview yesterday and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and it’s safe to say that today… the wheels have fallen off the wagon, if you get me 😭😭 I gave good detailed answers for why law and I listed 4 skills and elaborated on them for the attributes of a solicitor, but it was just a couple of the other questions I’m not sure if my answers had enough depth and confidence… I don’t know if I’m overthinking it as my interview actually was 23 minutes instead of 15 as the interviewer said they didn’t have another slot straight after me so we didn’t have to rush, so maybe my answers would have been ok given that it was meant to be shorter anyway. I’m just gutted as I’ve thought of better things to say since and I really love Browne Jacobson as a firm… worried I’ve blown this one 😭😭😭

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.