TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre I had my Browne Jacobson telephone interview yesterday and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it and it’s safe to say that today… the wheels have fallen off the wagon, if you get me 😭😭 I gave good detailed answers for why law and I listed 4 skills and elaborated on them for the attributes of a solicitor, but it was just a couple of the other questions I’m not sure if my answers had enough depth and confidence… I don’t know if I’m overthinking it as my interview actually was 23 minutes instead of 15 as the interviewer said they didn’t have another slot straight after me so we didn’t have to rush, so maybe my answers would have been ok given that it was meant to be shorter anyway. I’m just gutted as I’ve thought of better things to say since and I really love Browne Jacobson as a firm… worried I’ve blown this one 😭😭😭
Hey @midnightsky990422,

I totally understand your feelings as it is so natural to feel this way after an interview. However, you should always bear in mind that this is normal and many, me included, feel this way after an interview. This does not in the slightest reflect how your interviewers saw you or evaluated you. From what you said it seems that the interview went well anyway so I think that there is nothing to worry about! I know it is easier said than done but whenever I felt that way, I always thought about how whatever happens now it is out of your control, so it is just a matter of waiting to hear back. Focus on the positive aspects of the situation, such as you got to be interviewed by your favourite firm, you passed so many stages and hurdles to be in this position.

I hope it works out for you and I am sure it will, good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Why are we getting so many law firms saying they got unprecedented number of apps? Just off my head, I can remember that SH, Akin, Cooley, Dechert all said this. Are they being nice to not hurt applicants feeling, are some firms just getting more visibility or is the number of career seeker in the legal industry increasing in general? Genuine curiosity🧐
It might be a mix of the two things, I am imagining that more people are applying, or it does feel this way anyway, but at the same time it highlights the reason why they are taking a long time to go through all the applications and struggling to make decisions as to who to give offers to or not.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Taylor Wessing PFO post AC :(

Absolutely gutted, was my favourite firm.
I am so sorry for this, I can imagine this not being the outcome you were hoping for but I am sure that if you ask for feedback, you will be able to understand the reason for the rejection as well as how to improve from now on, which is the whole point of a rejection anyway. I am sure that you will learn a lot from this experience and it should only fuel your goal of being a lawyer and work even harder to achieve it.

I shared a post some time ago about how to deal with rejections which you might find useful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ons-discussion-thread-2023-4.8038/post-170058

Good luck with everything!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ahahaha not being funny this is my therapist's response to all of my negative thoughts/anxieties about future. It's all about the mindset 🤯
I think it’s all about balance really - if someone only focused on positive outcomes they probably wouldn’t anticipate potential issues/challenges and then think about how to deal with them.

But I do think constant negative thinking and assuming negative outcomes is just as unhelpful. it won’t help people leverage their strengths.

One of the most important qualities in trainees is self awareness, and the most vital aspect of self awareness is being able to recognise the good and the bad and then utilise the good to make the bad a little less negative!

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I think it’s all about balance really - if someone only focused on positive outcomes they probably wouldn’t anticipate potential issues/challenges and then think about how to deal with them.

But I do think constant negative thinking and assuming negative outcomes is just as unhelpful. it won’t help people leverage their strengths.

One of the most important qualities in trainees is self awareness, and the most vital aspect of self awareness is being able to recognise the good and the bad and then utilise the good to make the bad a little less negative!
So, so true. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    If during a work placement the lawyers were QCs as it was a few years ago now, but one has now retired (when he was a QC) and the other is a KC, do you put blah blah QC and blah blah QC or blah blah QC and blah blah KC, or Blah Blah QC (Retired) and Blah Blah KC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If during a work placement the lawyers were QCs as it was a few years ago now, but one has now retired (when he was a QC) and the other is a KC, do you put blah blah QC and blah blah QC or blah blah QC and blah blah KC, or Blah Blah QC (Retired) and Blah Blah KC?
    You put the job titles they were in at the time.

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
    Think they said it would be after they’d finished them all at my AC and believe the last ones were only last week so hopefully soon!
    still waiting on irwin mitchell after the ac!
    We were told they were giving themselves until the very end of April to let us know outcomes, so just to put your mind at rest if you don't hear anything for a while :) Good luck to both of you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.