Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
if they have started giving out for summer they would have given out for spring already I think
Nope I don’t think that’s the case dude! Because, two of my friends applied to the summer scheme and were invited at the beginning of January, and I’m aware spring scheme they have just started to issue out ACs? So odd though I must say!

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Slightly frustrating that out of my two ACs over the last week, which were meant to accomodate for non-law students, both involved two case studies over contracts and in-depth discussion of clauses/indemnities etc.. I know some law will be involved, just feel that its a lot harder being non-law sometimes

I feel exactly the same, I’m a penultimate year biochemist and managed to get an AC with HSF, was really passionate about working for a prestigious firm with a strong pharmaceutical IP team, got rejected because I wasn’t as strong on clauses and economical impacts of the contract. Beyond gutted, as I know I’d of worked my heart off to understand it should I of known.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I feel exactly the same, I’m a penultimate year biochemist and managed to get an AC with HSF, was really passionate about working for a prestigious firm with a strong pharmaceutical IP team, got rejected because I wasn’t as strong on clauses and economical impacts of the contract. Beyond gutted, as I know I’d of worked my heart off to understand it should I of known.
The HSF case study is really tough and their whole assessment day is actually very tricky I think so please don’t feel down about it just try to reflect and take it forwards. Loads of firms have strong pharma and IP practices such as A&O and Bird & Bird and Kirkland is fab for pharma too so they’re not the be all and end all even though I appreciate a firm can make you feel that way when you’re really invested with them emotionally. Wishing you well and please reach out if you want to speak to someone as I empathise entirely with the upset as I was very keen on them too

• 🤝
Reactions: M0723 and James Kitching

ithw3064

Jan 6, 2020

I completely agree about HSF! Had the same issue as I did the AC when I was a third year English student....I remember them asking me “is this legally binding” and of course I didn’t have a clue back then. Totally sympathise!

Reactions: M0723

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
The HSF case study is really tough and their whole assessment day is actually very tricky I think so please don’t feel down about it just try to reflect and take it forwards. Loads of firms have strong pharma and IP practices such as A&O and Bird & Bird and Kirkland is fab for pharma too so they’re not the be all and end all even though I appreciate a firm can make you feel that way when you’re really invested with them emotionally. Wishing you well and please reach out if you want to speak to someone as I empathise entirely with the upset as I was very keen on them too
Thank you :)

Reactions: Alice G

mserwaah1

Star Member
Jun 9, 2019
Slightly frustrating that out of my two ACs over the last week, which were meant to accomodate for non-law students, both involved two case studies over contracts and in-depth discussion of clauses/indemnities etc.. I know some law will be involved, just feel that its a lot harder being non-law sometimes

so sorry to hear this... can i ask what firm this was for? I'm in the same boat

Serah O

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Two amazing news today! Got through to White & Case VI and received an invite to Macfarlanes' AC. This would be my 2nd AC this year. I'm so happy because I've never had more than one AC in a recruitment cycle before! :D
Massive thank you to Jaysen for reviewing my application.

• 🏆
Reactions: ZH, TCAS, Zoo and 18 others
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.