Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
Slightly frustrating that out of my two ACs over the last week, which were meant to accomodate for non-law students, both involved two case studies over contracts and in-depth discussion of clauses/indemnities etc.. I know some law will be involved, just feel that its a lot harder being non-law sometimes

I would agree with you, but to be blunt, you need to know what these entail because eventually you might work in the legal profession. It's like I'm a law student, want to work in financial regulation at the BoE/ECB, but cannot explain how monetary policy works. The degree studied shouldn't be an excuse for the questions asked during an interview, and the legal questions you might encounter can come up on Google; then, you can research them by yourself. Clauses/indemnities are Y1 courses from the first semester, they're not asking details about specific things, e.g. if the UK regime is too favourable for hostile takeovers - which tbh, I wouldn't know how to answer that question had I not studied corporate finance at uni.

Reactions: Serah O, Jade and Alaw96

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
Is anyone still waiting to hear from these firms?
  • Linklaters (summer)
  • Norton Rose Fulbright (spring)
  • Baker McKenzie (summer)
  • Morrison & Foerster (summer)
At what point is it appropriate to call (or perhaps email?) graduate recruitment to ask about when we should expect to hear back by? I know that Bakers said we would receive a test invite by Jan 30th, but I haven't had anything but a confirmation email from the rest, which I submitted towards the beginning of the month. This is my first time ever applying and I'm a non-law student, so I'm a bit unsure!

Well done everyone on successes so far!

xxk97DE

Jan 24, 2020
Just got off the phone with HSF, they said they’ve given out all their AC offers for the spring vac scheme and anyone who hasn’t heard back as of yet will probs be getting that rejection email in a few weeks :(

Oh really that sucks, its a shame they can't just consider people instead for the summer scheme. I guess that's the way how some of these things work :(

Jay-Lo

Distinguished Member
Jan 21, 2019
Just got off the phone with HSF, they said they’ve given out all their AC offers for the spring vac scheme and anyone who hasn’t heard back as of yet will probs be getting that rejection email in a few weeks :(

Are you sure? Because I received an email from them this morning saying they are still reviewing applications. They would of sent everyone rejections instantly if that was the case.

Reactions: Ar2016 and w2719a

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
  • Linklaters (summer)
At what point is it appropriate to call (or perhaps email?) graduate recruitment to ask about when we should expect to hear back by? I know that Bakers said we would receive a test invite by Jan 30th, but I haven't had anything but a confirmation email from the rest, which I submitted towards the beginning of the month. This is my first time ever applying and I'm a non-law student, so I'm a bit unsure!

I still haven’t heard anything from linklaters yet, except the standard ‘under review’ email this morning :(

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
If I had an AC on Tuesday and haven't heard anything back by now through a phone call, it's a rejection right? just put me out my misery.

Nope. Some firms are quick and get back to you the next day, whereas others usually respond the next week or two. I've heard stories of people hearing back after 4-6 weeks, this is rare though.

It's only a rejection if they tell you it's a rejection! Otherwise, no news is good news :) Good luck!

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
I haven't even got one of those yet! When did you apply, and did you apply for the Spring or Summer scheme?

I submitted my seat preferences today and was told that I probably won’t know until March when all places have been filled which seat I’ll be in. So from the sounds of it they are doing interviews for at least another 8 weeks, so I really wouldn’t worry about it at this stage. They’ve only been doing ACs for like 3 weeks!

• 🤝
Reactions: EEE

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
I submitted my seat preferences today and was told that I probably won’t know until March when all places have been filled which seat I’ll be in. So from the sounds of it they are doing interviews for at least another 8 weeks, so I really wouldn’t worry about it at this stage. They’ve only been doing ACs for like 3 weeks!
I know for the winter vac scheme they didnt do that many ACs! It was two max so I thought if I hadn’t heard by now that’d be bad news

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019

Amazing, very useful to know - thank you!

Reactions: PhoebeL

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
I know for the winter vac scheme they didnt do that many ACs! It was two max so I thought if I hadn’t heard by now that’d be bad news

they do have 75 places to fill though and they are seeing max 12 people per day on 3 days per week, so unless every single person has been offered a place which seems unlikely they will definitely still be meeting people. But I obviously don’t know...

Reactions: Legal_rawn

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
  • Linklaters (summer)

I'm in the same boat with Baker McKenzie

Reactions: EEE
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.