Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What are some of the ways that grad recruitment handle the volume of applications they receive? For example, is it really just a case of going through them in date order, or do some ‘group’ them into yes/no/maybes and then send out invites to the next stage in batches?

no set answer on this.

depends on whether it is rolling recruitment or not.

depends on how many people are screening

depends on the process (how many stages before screening/how many stages afterwards).

depends on how thoroughly they screen (linked to the above).

They could also do both things you are suggesting.

There’s little point trying to second guess the process though!

Reactions: Lumree

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

Would it be possible that Freshfields provides a positive response post-AC which is longer than 2 working days? (Vac scheme)

If it is possible, may I kindly ask - why would it take longer than a person who have heard back the next day, or even the day itself.

PS: This question is motivated by pure anxiety, fear and paranoia due to a one-day response being seen as quite common these days.

Thank you so much! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

Would it be possible that Freshfields provides a positive response post-AC which is longer than 2 working days? (Vac scheme)

If it is possible, may I kindly ask - why would it take longer than a person who have heard back the next day, or even the day itself.

PS: This question is motivated by pure anxiety, fear and paranoia due to a one-day response being seen as quite common these days.

Thank you so much! :D

yes - it’s actually quite reasonable that it takes more than two working days.

out of the 101 reasons why:

1) one of your interviewers works part time
    2) one of your interviewers is off sick
    3) the are waiting for a reference before making a decision
    4) interview notes haven’t got back to the GR team yet (multitude of reasons why this can happen in itself)
    5) they need to arrange a call with all of your assessors to discuss (and getting time with all of them is difficult)
    6) they aren’t in a rush to make a decision

just because some people hear back the same or next day, does not mean it’s common nor normal.

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203, Jaysen and PEN1

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!!

Could you advice on how do I structure my answer to a strength-based question during an interview?

Is it STAR format?

Thank you so much

No...

STAR/CAR format is only appropriate for competency based questions - e.g. "tell me about a time you have worked in a team/tell me about a time you have developed your communication skills".

Strengths based questions are a whole range of questions, so there isn't a set format of answering them.

Al1793

Star Member
    Feb 7, 2020
    yes - it’s actually quite reasonable that it takes more than two working days.

out of the 101 reasons why:

1) one of your interviewers works part time
    2) one of your interviewers is off sick
    3) the are waiting for a reference before making a decision
    4) interview notes haven’t got back to the GR team yet (multitude of reasons why this can happen in itself)
    5) they need to arrange a call with all of your assessors to discuss (and getting time with all of them is difficult)
    6) they aren’t in a rush to make a decision

just because some people hear back the same or next day, does not mean it’s common nor normal.
    Not if much use as was for a direct TC, but Freshfields took around a month to get back to me post AC last cycle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not if much use as was for a direct TC, but Freshfields took around a month to get back to me post AC last cycle

It’s rare for them to take that long but I did happen to me a couple of times when I was there and circumstances meant it took a little longer to come to a decision (usually references are to blame in this instance).

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    It’s rare for them to take that long but I did happen to me a couple of times when I was there and circumstances meant it took a little longer to come to a decision (usually references are to blame in this instance).
    Thank you! Would references need to be contacted first before a vac scheme offer is made?
    Also, is it common for candidates to turn down vacation scheme offers after a while or become "no-shows"?

Last edited:

Al1793

Star Member
    Feb 7, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I would really value some advice regarding reapplying to law firms. This is my second year of applying and last year went relatively well in that I did 8 very focused applications, was only rejected from 1 outright, and attended 3 ACs at my top 3 firms. Although ultimately unsuccessful, I felt I had come very close and that this cycle would be easier given my experiences and feedback from last round. However, although I've secured a summer vac scheme, I find I'm getting far more rejections this round, and all the firms I've reapplied to have rejected me, despite the fact my applications were improved versions of ones they previously progressed.

When reapplying to firms, would you recommend substantially altering an application, even if it was previously successful? Otherwise, can you think of any other factors which may account for the reduced hit rate? I'm also unsure if putting my upcoming vac scheme on applications has put firms off rather than strengthening my apps.

Any advice would be very welcome, feel I'm somehow further from securing a TC then I was last round and to say it's disheartening would be an understatement.

Thank you!

Reactions: Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! Would references need to be contacted first before a vac scheme offer is made?
    Also, is it common for candidates to turn down vacation scheme offers after a while or become "no-shows"?

sometimes, yes.

sometimes, yes. Offered candidates can get other offers from other firms and therefore renege on their first offer, or realise that law isn’t for them. Some have changes with their personal circumstances or academics which mean they can no longer attend.

I’ve only ever had one no-show though, and ultimately a firm will just have a missing place - they are unlikely to back fill a role once the scheme has started.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I would really value some advice regarding reapplying to law firms. This is my second year of applying and last year went relatively well in that I did 8 very focused applications, was only rejected from 1 outright, and attended 3 ACs at my top 3 firms. Although ultimately unsuccessful, I felt I had come very close and that this cycle would be easier given my experiences and feedback from last round. However, although I've secured a summer vac scheme, I find I'm getting far more rejections this round, and all the firms I've reapplied to have rejected me, despite the fact my applications were improved versions of ones they previously progressed.

When reapplying to firms, would you recommend substantially altering an application, even if it was previously successful? Otherwise, can you think of any other factors which may account for the reduced hit rate? I'm also unsure if putting my upcoming vac scheme on applications has put firms off rather than strengthening my apps.

Any advice would be very welcome, feel I'm somehow further from securing a TC then I was last round and to say it's disheartening would be an understatement.

Thank you!

An application needs updating. If it looks very similar and the content is near identical, then there is a question around has this person really developed anything since their last application.

An upcoming vac scheme is unlikely to put firms off unless it is with a very different type of firm (eg vac scheme is with a small, niche US firm and you are applying to a large national firm).

Alaw96

Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I am worried about a hypothetical situation. I have a summer vacation scheme in July, and I have an AC coming up for a vac scheme at another firm. However, If I was to get on this particular firm's vac scheme, I would have to choose their easter date as their summer date clashes with the scheme that I have already accepted. Now, say I was offered a training contract from the easter scheme, would I be able to undertake the summer scheme at the other firm? Or would I be pressured to accept within four weeks? Could I potentially convince a firm to let me finish my summer scheme before deciding to accept?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou!!

Reactions: CL20

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am worried about a hypothetical situation. I have a summer vacation scheme in July, and I have an AC coming up for a vac scheme at another firm. However, If I was to get on this particular firm's vac scheme, I would have to choose their easter date as their summer date clashes with the scheme that I have already accepted. Now, say I was offered a training contract from the easter scheme, would I be able to undertake the summer scheme at the other firm? Or would I be pressured to accept within four weeks? Could I potentially convince a firm to let me finish my summer scheme before deciding to accept?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou!!

There’s too many variables here to give you a straight answer.

depends what year you are in
    Depends if the firm abides by the code of best practice
    Depends on if your offer letter/contracts forbids you from working at another law firm before joining
    Depends on the summer vac schemes policy on not accepting people who already have accepted a TC

if the Easter firm do pressure you into accepting, there is no harm in asking for an extension. But if they are pressurising you’ll to make a decision, there’s a reason for that.

personally, I wouldn’t waste worrying about these things until you are in these situations and faces with the actual unique circumstances rather than trying to second guess it now

Alaw96

Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    There’s too many variables here to give you a straight answer.

depends what year you are in
    Depends if the firm abides by the code of best practice
    Depends on if your offer letter/contracts forbids you from working at another law firm before joining
    Depends on the summer vac schemes policy on not accepting people who already have accepted a TC

if the Easter firm do pressure you into accepting, there is no harm in asking for an extension. But if they are pressurising you’ll to make a decision, there’s a reason for that.

personally, I wouldn’t waste worrying about these things until you are in these situations and faces with the actual unique circumstances rather than trying to second guess it now

Thank-you Jessica, this is helpful! I agree, I'll wait to see if I am actually in this situation before worrying!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Jessica

When it comes to decisions on VS candidates for TC offers, in your experience does everyone's opinion on said candidate have equal weighting? I know how important it is to be a fit and to be considered the right person for the trainee role but I was wondering if it is a ultimately a group design including Grad Recruitment, associates etc. Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

When it comes to decisions on VS candidates for TC offers, in your experience does everyone's opinion on said candidate have equal weighting? I know how important it is to be a fit and to be considered the right person for the trainee role but I was wondering if it is a ultimately a group design including Grad Recruitment, associates etc. Thank you.

depends on the firm - some will put more weighting on other aspects/people’s opinion than others.

It’s why it is important to see everything as part of your probation period. Everything is up for consideration so ensure you are giving everything your all.

Last edited:

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well.

I secured a vacation scheme and they require me to confirm the scheme I want by Wednesday. However, I have also had other final interviews. I received an email a couple of days ago from another firm which I had a final round for asking me to keep them updated about the result of my other interviews. They said they were still collating feedback for my interview (it was last week) and they wanted to keep in touch. Hypothetically, if I got both I would obviously love to do both. But I fear that their dates overlap! Should I inform the other firm about my VS and ask when they will get back to me so I can plan accordingly or leave it? I don't want it to look like I am prioritising one over the other.

Also, if I chose to do the easter vacation scheme. I know the firm do an assessment task and a training contract interview at the end of the week. Do they make offers then? Or do firms typically wait for the summer vacation schemes to be completed and then make offers once they have seen all candidates for that year?

Thanks in advance for your all help :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I hope you're well.

I secured a vacation scheme and they require me to confirm the scheme I want by Wednesday. However, I have also had other final interviews. I received an email a couple of days ago from another firm which I had a final round for asking me to keep them updated about the result of my other interviews. They said they were still collating feedback for my interview (it was last week) and they wanted to keep in touch. Hypothetically, if I got both I would obviously love to do both. But I fear that their dates overlap! Should I inform the other firm about my VS and ask when they will get back to me so I can plan accordingly or leave it? I don't want it to look like I am prioritising one over the other.

Also, if I chose to do the easter vacation scheme. I know the firm do an assessment task and a training contract interview at the end of the week. Do they make offers then? Or do firms typically wait for the summer vacation schemes to be completed and then make offers once they have seen all candidates for that year?

Thanks in advance for your all help :)

ask if dates do overlap. If they don’t you are worrying about nothing.

Sounds like they will offer at the end of the vacation scheme.

• 🤝
    Reactions: NMD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.