Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, I really messed up. I think as I was putting in my grades on the form I saw the grade above it on my transcript which was 60 and put that by accident instead.

I'll email them to let them know, I'm just hoping they'll appreciate me telling them? The rest of my grades were 1st or high 2:1 :(

What are the "bad grades" and what would you year average be including them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, I really messed up. I think as I was putting in my grades on the form I saw the grade above it on my transcript which was 60 and put that by accident instead.

I'll email them to let them know, I'm just hoping they'll appreciate me telling them? The rest of my grades were 1st or high 2:1 :(

The missed modules are more of the concern. How can the mistake be for a different module of 60% if all your others were 1st or 2.1s?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Could any offers be rescinded because of Coronavirus? What’s your take?

Yes, it is a possibility. I doubt firms will take this route as ultimately there will still be people working in the office and it will be a major risk to then not fill the intakes with the talent they need. But it depends how bad things get - we haven't been put into lockdown yet (like what they have done in Italy). If that happened, a firm would have pretty sensible reasons for cancelling a VS.

Reactions: Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I can also see firms taking this type of approach... https://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/3003311/coronavirus-contracts-finance-job-interviews

Whatever you do, DON'T TURN UP TO ANY INTERVIEWS, INSIGHT/OPEN DAYS, CAREERS EVENTS OR VACATION SCHEMES EVEN IF YOU ARE MILDLY ILL. You won't be popular and they will probably just turn you away, but be pretty p*ssed that you even attempted to come in.

And if you did infect the graduate recruitment teams, just think of the even greater delays you could face waiting to hear back ;)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My average for 1st year would be 57 if I included them, but my average in 2nd year was 76. I emailed them to apologise and said I understand if they decide to withdraw the offer. I’ll just need to wait now.

Ok - this is definitely not good then. The issue is kind of three-fold which makes this tricky:

1) The missed modules were clearly avoided to make your application look better, not because they didn't count (if you included other modules that didn't count this confirms that)

2) The mistake of the 59% is not a typo/transposed number - and is also a classification grade different (not just 1%)

3) Your first year average wasn't a 2.1, which they were probably looking for.

I probably wouldn't have said anything about withdrawing the offer though.... :oops: Fingers crossed you made such a good impression at interview/AC that they are willing to over look it.

Reactions: Deleted member 1640

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Is anyone able to offer any words of comfort regarding going into their first vacation scheme? It's not a bad problem to have and I am fortunate to have obtained one, but the reality of going into a firm for two weeks has hit me and triggered my imposter syndrome to an all time high, particularly as it is a firm I have always felt was out of my league. I am worried I will not be competent enough to do or understand the work, let alone perform to a high enough standard in the assessments for a TC.

If anyone can sympathise, how did you cope with such a feeling? Is there any wisdom you can give with the power of hindsight?

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: HD, Zoo, Serah O and 2 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is anyone able to offer any words of comfort regarding going into their first vacation scheme? It's not a bad problem to have and I am fortunate to have obtained one, but the reality of going into a firm for two weeks has hit me and triggered my imposter syndrome to an all time high, particularly as it is a firm I have always felt was out of my league. I am worried I will not be competent enough to do or understand the work, let alone perform to a high enough standard in the assessments for a TC.

If anyone can sympathise, how did you cope with such a feeling? Is there any wisdom you can give through the power of hindsight?

Most people are feeling similar to you - Those that don’t risk being over confident

Remember people at the firm want you to be good enough, and based on what they have seen so far they already think you are good enough!

You’re being irrational about a firm being out of your league. You beat 100s of other candidates to the position you are in so it clearly is “your league”

try not to let the self doubt creep in. That isn’t going to help you perform to the level needed and could actually be your biggest obstacle to over come

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019

If anyone can sympathise, how did you cope with such a feeling? Is there any wisdom you can give with the power of hindsight?
Your biggest threat will be thinking that it is out of your league. Go in with an open mind, be yourself but also extra friendly (not fakely) and proactive and do your work well. If it was out of your league you wouldn't have got the scheme!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alice G, M1999, AY and 5 others

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Your biggest threat will be thinking that it is out of your league. Go in with an open mind, be yourself but also extra friendly (not fakely) and proactive and do your work well. If it was out of your league you wouldn't have got the scheme!

Most people are feeling similar to you - Those that don’t risk being over confident

Remember people at the firm want you to be good enough, and based on what they have seen so far they already think you are good enough!

You’re being irrational about a firm being out of your league. You beat 100s of other candidates to the position you are in so it clearly is “your league”

try not to let the self doubt creep in. That isn’t going to help you perform to the level needed and could actually be your biggest obstacle to over come

Thank you for your words! Something I'm taking away is to remember to be objective and not get caught up in my own head.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Hey! I 100000% feel you. I did a vac last year and felt this way and I'm doing vacs this year and STILL feel this way. I always think people on the vac are better than me and I always worry that I'm not interesting enough or even memorable enough to get a TC.

But I received some really good advice today that I think helped me a bit:

1. A vacation scheme is all about doing small things well. As long as you are enthusiastic about everything, make an effort to build relationships with people, and produce good work, you're on track to getting that offer.

2. A lot of us forget what a massive opportunity this is. We're so focused on getting the TC that we forget we've making our first steps into these crazy big name firms where some of the most exciting deals are happening every day. You're there because the firm already see you as a potential long term investment for their firm. Take comfort in that and make full use of the ego boost that gives you!!

LawGirl

Jan 16, 2020
    Depends on the individual firm’s policy. Code fo best practice says a penultimate year student would get until the 15/16 September while the final year student would get four weeks to accept.

Not all firms abide by the code though
    Thank you ! I’m just worried as I am in my final year and I have 2 vacation schemes in the summer. One which ends approximately 4 weeks before the other starts. The 2nd firm is my first choice and I’d like to do the scheme to experience the firms culture. Will I be able to ask for an extension from the first firm ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you ! I’m just worried as I am in my final year and I have 2 vacation schemes in the summer. One which ends approximately 4 weeks before the other starts. The 2nd firm is my first choice and I’d like to do the scheme to experience the firms culture. Will I be able to ask for an extension from the first firm ?

You can ask. You can also accept and then renege...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.