General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
I don’t know the specifics of their system as it has changed since I was there. But not necessarily anyway - there’s a range of ways in which your application could be screened and yet is not fully processed on the system.

Thanks for this, just to piggyback of the OP's question, when you were at Freshfields,when an app shows as "updated" (at a date after submission), does that suggest that its been screened? And that not hearing back follows the no news is good news adage?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this, just to piggyback of the OP's question, when you were at Freshfields,when an app shows as "updated" (at a date after submission), does that suggest that its been screened? And that not hearing back follows the no news is good news adage?

it was a different application tracking system so I wouldn’t go on what happened when I was there.

No news is just that - no news. It isn’t a good thing/it isn’t a bad thing though.

Reactions: Alice G and dosblancos7
D

Deleted member 5185

have you heard anyone being rejected yet post application for direct TCs? If not, I wouldn’t worry about it too much, just wait and see. I know some people that have been waiting since Nov 2019, so hopefully they get back to everyone soon.

Yes that is a very good point actually. Thank you !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They might not but it if you have not finished your undergraduate degree, I would advise just e-mailing them to say the new rules means they wont have to sponsor you. Finish the LPC & you get two years

That is not quite true. As a training contract is two years and won't start until 2-3 months after someone graduates/completes the LPC, where the post-study work visa is a maximum of two years, it wouldn't cover a whole training contract.

You would basically need your training contract to start before your course officially ended.

So a firm would need to still get a Tier 2 visa for you. It will be easier for them to do this as of January 2021, but it is their choice to do so and if they are saying they won't get a visa for you, then unfortunately that is their stance on the matter.

• ℹ️
Reactions: WinnieAnn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Are you sure? I know someone who's starting their TC there soon, and I am pretty sure they're an international student :/

They can change their stance on this if they want to. If the firm has emailed to say they can't sponsor visas, then I would say that is their stance.

The only way I can see it being a mistake is if they are mistaken in thinking the person applied for an internship and is not studying in the UK.

Lots of international students have rights to work in the UK - especially those on hereditary visas, so its not always a good way of trying to spot who has been sponsored or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.