Linklaters 2019/20 Application

Sam55

Esteemed Member
Jan 28, 2020
Since the vast majority of Linklaters TCs are offered to vac schemers, I wonder if they're holding fire on some direct TC applications of borderline quality until the last of the 3 vac schemes has finished (the 10th-21st August).
Have they actually accepted anyone for TC interview yet? It might be they just rejected people below the WG cutoff so far

AverageHotSauce

Jun 16, 2020
Since the vast majority of Linklaters TCs are offered to vac schemers, I wonder if they're holding fire on some direct TC applications of borderline quality until the last of the 3 vac schemes has finished (the 10th-21st August).

damn so i should just apply for their vac scheme huh? god i don't wanna do this process again awerfujaoisdjzoidsfjvaoilkjfdrvlkiads

• 🤝
Reactions: Zoo and Daniel Boden

CarinaH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 16, 2020
damn so i should just apply for their vac scheme huh? god i don't wanna do this process again awerfujaoisdjzoidsfjvaoilkjfdrvlkiads

well, they usually have 100 places for VS across 4 different schemes and they offer 100 TCs and there is a TC for everyone on the VS if the person does well. Some will not accept the offer, some will be for a later intake (there was the option to choose between 2022 and 2023) and some will not get offered a TC altogether. But direct TCs will basically only go to a limited number of people depending on how much room there is left after the VS... it’s why I applied for the VS instead of the TC, I’d recommend doing this should you not be successful.

Reactions: AverageHotSauce

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
well, they usually have 100 places for VS across 4 different schemes and they offer 100 TCs and there is a TC for everyone on the VS if the person does well. Some will not accept the offer, some will be for a later intake (there was the option to choose between 2022 and 2023) and some will not get offered a TC altogether. But direct TCs will basically only go to a limited number of people depending on how much room there is left after the VS... it’s why I applied for the VS instead of the TC, I’d recommend doing this should you not be successful.

I’d estimate that on an average year Linklaters probably offer around 80-85% of their vac schemers and of those offered about 80% will accept. Still means there could be a good 30 training contracts being offered directly.

The acceptance percentage might be slightly higher this year, but even if it was 90%, would still be roughly 25 TCs.

Last edited:

CarinaH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 16, 2020
I’d estimate that on an average year Linklaters probably offer around 80-85% of their vac schemers and of those offered about 80% will accept. Still means there could be a good 30 training contracts being offered directly.

Yes that sounds about right. I think they offered 85% for the winter VS and it was 86% for the first summer one. There are definitely less direct TC places, but by the end it probably also depends on how many applications they receive for VS vs TCs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes that sounds about right. I think they offered 85% for the winter VS and it was 86% for the first summer one. There are definitely less direct TC places, but by the end it probably also depends on how many applications they receive for VS vs TCs.

Things don’t change much, even after 15 years!!

The key difference between deciding whether to apply for a direct TC and a vac scheme application at this time of year really is, do you want a job ASAP or are you willing to wait another year.

Other considerations I have written about here:

VS vs TC

Reactions: AverageHotSauce

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why do we think higher numbers of people are accepting TCs this year? Keep seeing this comment for other firms too.

Because there are probably less vacancies and people tend to accept jobs quicker/withdraw from other recruitment processes once they have an offer much more in times of recession.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.