General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
In my interview feedback, I was told that I didn't know enough about the firm (totally fair criticism as I felt that's where I had gone wrong), I was wondering how people would go about researching a firm e.g departments and what they do? This was my first application cycle and I'm non-law so my preparation for my applications was based on who had a deadline and not in-depth firm research so I would find any advice useful for the next cycle! :D

Hi Melissa
Well done for the experience and giving it your all - regardless of the outcome, this is something to be proud of :)

I have shared how I prep for interviews on this link https://zaiblogs.wixsite.com/blog/post/how-to-prepare-for-an-interview

There are two templates: one for competency skills and the other for firm research. I think that this can be expanded even further. I think basics are important but then even further than that - the firm's USPs, main areas of practice, recent deals, changes within the firm, growth strategy, global presence, types of clients, retention rates, the firm's business plan for the next 5/10 years - these are just examples of how you get to know the firm further and show your knowledge and understanding of law firms in general. It also shows interest and when you know more you, it allows the information to come more naturally for a comfortable conversation as opposed to worrying about the info you have forgotten (if that makes sense!)

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi Melissa
    Well done for the experience and giving it your all - regardless of the outcome, this is something to be proud of :)

I have shared how I prep for interviews on this link https://zaiblogs.wixsite.com/blog/post/how-to-prepare-for-an-interview

There are two templates: one for competency skills and the other for firm research. I think that this can be expanded even further. I think basics are important but then even further than that - the firm's USPs, main areas of practice, recent deals, changes within the firm, growth strategy, global presence, types of clients, retention rates, the firm's business plan for the next 5/10 years - these are just examples of how you get to know the firm further and show your knowledge and understanding of law firms in general. It also shows interest and when you know more you, it allows the information to come more naturally for a comfortable conversation as opposed to worrying about the info you have forgotten (if that makes sense!)
    Thank you so much for this! I think I was at a loss when it came to researching so this is fantastic :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZH

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Hi Melissa

Thanks for this- looks really helpful!

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZH

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone on here that has commented or messaged me, this is going to sound very cheesy but all of the support on here really gives me the strength to carry on. I genuinely hope and pray that by the end of this cycle, every single person on this forum has found their success, which is inevitable because of the determination and intellect on this thread.

Also I may not pass the WG, but I did save my app answers in a general template form if anyone is interested in having a look for future reference?

So, I have been practising the WG for a while and I have some advice for you.

First of all the statements are structured in a way that push you to think beyond the statement. The statement is all you need to focus on nothing else matters.
    For example, if you look at the attached file the key word in the statement is what is beneficial for the environment. Therefore the argument is a strong argument.
    For what concerns assumptions: here it is basically telling you that the friend should reduce sugary drinks to protect her teeth. Hence, the assumption is that sugary drinks are bad for your teeth.
    Deductions: I divide the statements in different parts and try to make a deduction for each part and works for me.
    Inferences: first and foremost we all struggle, damn I hate inferences. However, I used this website called job test prep (cant find the link but will send you if I do) and it was illuminating. Here I am attaching an example of my answer. Basically, I believe that the answer is "insufficient data" why? Because the statement only tells me how much Mark's quickest journey costs but does not give any info about the cost for other journeys. So, how can i know how much it costs?

That's my two cent. Please, do not practice too much, check your answers and try to understand where you struggle the most.

P.S. Congrats

Attachments

• AssessmentDay Member Test 1.png
      AssessmentDay Member Test 1.png
      92.3 KB · Views: 53
    • AssessmentDay Member Test Assumption 3.png
      AssessmentDay Member Test Assumption 3.png
      84.5 KB · Views: 41
    • AssessmentDay Member Test Deductions 1.png
      AssessmentDay Member Test Deductions 1.png
      99.5 KB · Views: 37
    • AssessmentDay Member Test Inferences 2.png
      AssessmentDay Member Test Inferences 2.png
      112 KB · Views: 44
    • 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: M1999, CT, WinnieAnn and 5 others

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    In my interview feedback, I was told that I didn't know enough about the firm (totally fair criticism as I felt that's where I had gone wrong), I was wondering how people would go about researching a firm e.g departments and what they do? This was my first application cycle and I'm non-law so my preparation for my applications was based on who had a deadline and not in-depth firm research so I would find any advice useful for the next cycle! :D

A very brief bit of advice. I would base your research on the following areas (this is very, very brief):

Work - What work do they do? Who are there clients? Where are they focused? How is this different from their competitors?
    Business Model - How do they run their business? Where is their HQ? What is the role of their UK office?
    Training - What is their training model? What does it entail? Are there key differences to their competitors?
    People - Have you met anyone from the firm? What did they tell you? How did you process that?

Best of luck!

CCH

Standard Member
    May 24, 2020
    Just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone on here that has commented or messaged me, this is going to sound very cheesy but all of the support on here really gives me the strength to carry on. I genuinely hope and pray that by the end of this cycle, every single person on this forum has found their success, which is inevitable because of the determination and intellect on this thread.

Also I may not pass the WG, but I did save my app answers in a general template form if anyone is interested in having a look for future reference?
    I am interested! Thank you very much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Deleted member 5185

2019grad31

Jun 17, 2020
    Hi everyone-

Does anyone have any experience of asking for more time to consider a TC offer?

I’ve received an offer and been given only a week to accept. However, I have an AC for a TC at another firm a week today, which I would rather take if offered. Really not sure what to do! Thanks

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
    May 24, 2020
    Hi everyone-

Does anyone have any experience of asking for more time to consider a TC offer?

I’ve received an offer and been given only a week to accept. However, I have an AC for a TC at another firm a week today, which I would rather take if offered. Really not sure what to do! Thanks

Candidates are usually given 4 weeks to accept their offers so this is strange. Perhaps the firm needs answers quicker than usual given the current climate. I spoke to Macfarlanes a little while back who said they are happy to give applicants who have other pending interviews more time if necessary, and that candidates just need to make the firm aware. So I would just email and explain that you have another interview and you want to have all your offers on the table before making a decision, and politely ask for some additional time. More importantly...congrats!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.