Status
Not open for further replies.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Oh dang do you think I should email them and ask for an update? I applied to Peters in April and Orrick in May and definitely haven't heard anything...

@Jessica Booker do you have any opinions on this?

Thanks!
I was accepted to the Orrick open day (due to take place in March but postponed) which involved a first stage TC assessment. I emailed grad rec last week about It and they said they plan to hold some form of assessment in September/October time. Not sure if this helpful but may explain the delay!

Maddie M

Standard Member
Aug 18, 2020
Hi everyone, i'm new on here! i had an interview last week and i just realised that the firm told us that it has a school blind/grades blind procedure, but in my interview my different grades were brought up? is this something i should mention to firm?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi everyone, i'm new on here! i had an interview last week and i just realised that the firm told us that it has a school blind/grades blind procedure, but in my interview my different grades were brought up? is this something i should mention to firm?
Presumably they mean it's blind at the point when they progress your application, not blind the whole way through. If you put it on the form at all then it wouldn't be blind the whole way through. Which firm was this for?

Last edited:
Reactions: anulciak7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It is likely the case that the early stages to get you to interview are school and grade blind (that might only be school grade blind though - especially if the firm have a 2.1 requirement), but your interviewer has your full application. If they meant your modules grades/degree grades, this may be separate though and reviewed at every stage.

Maddie M

Standard Member
Aug 18, 2020
Presumably they mean it's blind at the point when they progress your application, not blind the whole way through. If you put it on the form at all then it wouldn't be blind the whole way through. Which firm was this for?

It is likely the case that the early stages to get you to interview are school and grade blind (that might only be school grade blind though - especially if the firm have a 2.1 requirement), but your interviewer has your full application. If they meant your modules grades/degree grades, this may be separate though and reviewed at every stage.
hi thanks for your response. i just checked and the email says my interviewer will not have access to my school or gcse/a level grades

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi thanks for your response. i just checked and the email says my interviewer will not have access to my school or gcse/a level grades

And they asked about them? Or did they know your grades?

Unfortunately asking about your grades is fair game, which is one of the major flaws of CV blind processes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi, no they brought up a certain gcse grade i got which i was a bit stumbled by

Then yes, I would mention it to the firm (as politely as possible). Just mention you were thrown by the question and hope your response is not at the detriment to the whole interview.

I know it’s unlikely, but if your GCSE grades are in the public domain (eg LinkedIn) then again, unfortunately it is fair game for the interviewer to bring it up

Reactions: Maddie M
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.