General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    For anyone who's been rejected post TC interview, what did they state as your main areas for improvement? Just interested to know!

I've received the following feedback after a number of TC/VS interview rejections:

1) Looking at a case study from too much of a commercial standpoint and not thinking about how the firm can assist the client including cross-selling different departments

2) Not expanding enough and showing my thought process in relation to how I got to an answer in a technical interview

3) Not sufficiently demonstrating that I understand the role of a trainee solicitor

4) Competency examples being a bit weak

I hope that helps you to avoid some of the mistakes I made!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: EA, Aminata, SPS and 7 others

IzzyAn_na

Aug 13, 2020
    An application I'm completing asks "Is there anything else you would like to add in support of your application?", but I have already filled out my work experience and a whole section that asked for a description of my other activites and achievements.
    Any ideas about the types of things they're looking for here?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    An application I'm completing asks "Is there anything else you would like to add in support of your application?", but I have already filled out my work experience and a whole section that asked for a description of my other activites and achievements.
    Any ideas about the types of things they're looking for here?

it’s not important to complete this question if you haven’t got anything else to mention.

However, here are some of the things typically included in these type of questions depending on the format of the individual application form and based on it not be covered elsewhere:
    • mitigating circumstances
    • Grade clarification (might be particularly useful for anyone who has grades from this year with Covid)
    • Anything atypical that doesn’t fit in the other sections (for instance limits on work experience entries and it’s important for you to demonstrate your wider work experiences)
    • Explanations of gaps in your application of more than 3 months (eg travelling abroad)
    • Details of when you might not be able to attend an interview (eg if you are outside of the U.K.)
    • Future work experience lined up
    • reasonable adjustments required in future assessments

Crastle

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    I'm still waiting on Travers but when I spoke to recruitment at a virtual law fair recently, they are still considering people, so who knows on that one. Macs is inviting people to virtual ACs and making offers already. No offer for me after mine though, sadly.
    are macs still giving out AC invites? I thought i remembered somebody on this thread the other day saying they had finished their last AC.

Reactions: SportsThoughts

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    are macs still giving out AC invites? I thought i remembered somebody on this thread the other day saying they had finished their last AC.
    Someone recently said that they do two ACs per year and have just done the second one. However, after that was posted, I contacted grad rec for an update on my application and they said they're hoping to get back to everyone by the end of the month. I'm assuming (and may not be correct) that they're waiting to see who accepts offers before having another AC if they have any spaces left.

Reactions: Lawgirl123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.