General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyered22

Oct 19, 2020
Hey - if you’re a premium member, you can submit an application to us here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/application-review/. Happy to see if it’s to do with the application answers.
Hey Jaysen, I requested premium membership but I’m still waiting to hear back. I received the results from the Hogan Lovells WGT I did this app cycle earlier today and though I scored in the 88th percentile, in the email Jen said I was unsuccessful based on my application. Guess that means the problem is indeed my answers... I’m however confused as I would have expected to be rejected outright if they were not good enough??

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Jaysen, I requested premium membership but I’m still waiting to hear back. I received the results from the Hogan Lovells WGT I did this app cycle earlier today and though I scored in the 88th percentile, in the email Jen said I was unsuccessful based on my application. Guess that means the problem is indeed my answers... I’m however confused as I would have expected to be rejected outright if they were not good enough??

Hey - I don't think we have a premium membership associated with the email you signed up to the forum with. Could you drop me a PM with your premium email address? Thanks!

JustSky

Nov 7, 2020
    Hi! I submitted my application for a TC at Allen & Overy on Sunday, did the SJT the same day, but received an email saying that I haven't completed it and should do it within the next 48h, otherwise, my application won't be considered. On my portal, it says that my application is under review. I emailed Grad Rec but it's been 24h and no reply. Did anyone experience anything like this?

GM

Jan 31, 2020
    I have a question for @Jessica Booker (if you have time to answer!).

I applied to the NRF summer vac scheme last year and got all the way to the telephone interview where I unfortunately did not make it through to the AC stage.

Do you think it's acceptable to reuse the same online app form?

My reasoning is that (a) the issue was not with my online app if I made it all the way to the phone interview and (b) it has only been 7 months since I submitted that app so not much has changed. I know you've generally advised people to change their applications but my strongest experiences are the ones I included in the first online app. I don't want to seem lazy and I will of course update my app to reflect the one extra achievement I've had in between but I also think the app got me through the first time and it would be silly to rework it to potentially make it worse.

Thank you in advance :).

Reactions: NadineBusty

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a question for @Jessica Booker (if you have time to answer!).

I applied to the NRF summer vac scheme last year and got all the way to the telephone interview where I unfortunately did not make it through to the AC stage.

Do you think it's acceptable to reuse the same online app form?

My reasoning is that (a) the issue was not with my online app if I made it all the way to the phone interview and (b) it has only been 7 months since I submitted that app so not much has changed. I know you've generally advised people to change their applications but my strongest experiences are the ones I included in the first online app. I don't want to seem lazy and I will of course update my app to reflect the one extra achievement I've had in between but I also think the app got me through the first time and it would be silly to rework it to potentially make it worse.

Thank you in advance :).

Exactly the same application form, no.

There will be things that have changed since your last application and I will bet money that you will find ways to refine your language/written style and motivational answers, even if the majority of the content is the same.

Reactions: GM

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi! I submitted my application for a TC at Allen & Overy on Sunday, did the SJT the same day, but received an email saying that I haven't completed it and should do it within the next 48h, otherwise, my application won't be considered. On my portal, it says that my application is under review. I emailed Grad Rec but it's been 24h and no reply. Did anyone experience anything like this?

Hey,

I haven't experienced this. Are you sure the email you received say you hadn't done it? Because I got two emails, one about the SJT (yesterday) and one with the SJT link (yesterday).

I just did mine today so will let you know if I have the same issue.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    For situational questions, such as " If you fell behind on a piece of work", or struggling to meet assigned work deadlines, how would one answer that? I honestly would have no idea what firms are looking for when they ask this type of question.. Personally I would just work longer and finish it , but I'm not sure if this is a useful answer

Any help would be appreciated :)

Lawsm21

Oct 19, 2020
    Has anyone else had glitching problems with the bird & bird VI? It happened to me last year (different laptop, different WiFi) where it played the first question twice and then on 1 question the clock just started counting down with no timer allowing for 60seconds thinking time (as the other questions had) and then on the final Q the thinking time timer and actual answer timer were nothing going on at the same time...

I emailed to say it glitched but hopefully they received my full answers, just wondering if anyone else experienced the same given it did it to me last year aswell?? Also kinda annoying I had zero seconds to think on 2 of the answers lol I think all in all it was a bit of a disaster...

Oh no I'm sorry that happened! Can I ask when you applied to Bird & Bird? Is this for the Spring VS?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.