2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samantha

Legendary Member
Nov 18, 2020
Hey guys!

I emailed Sullivan and Cromwell about the eligibility of final year law students and I got this back just in case anyone else was curious.

"Dear Samantha,
Thank you for your email enquiry.
As a final year law undergraduate, you are eligible to apply for the firm’s 2021 summer placement scheme.
Thank you.
Regards,"

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    No problem at all, just helps to give the right advice!

I see attributes more as personal qualities that are internal (e.g. integrity, reliability, work ethic etc.), whereas skills are more external (and perhaps something that has been acquired).

Many are interchangeable though; I see the big difference here being the fact that the first question is about your work experience, whereas you can draw from a broader range of experiences in the second question.
    That makes sense, thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I am an international student applying for vacation schemes. I do not require a visa to do the scheme itself but I would require Tier 2 visa sponsorship for a Training Contract. Should I answer yes or no to this question: "Do you require permission or a visa to work in the office location(s) you are applying to?" For some firms, there is an additional section: "Are there any special requirements that you need from the firm? If yes, please give details". Should I always answer no and provide further information in applications that have the additional question? Would really appreciate a graduate recruitment opinion on this :)

I would select no if you are applying for a vacation scheme, but yes if you are applying for a training contract or if your vacation scheme application leads directly to you being considered for a training contract.

I would use any “extra information” sections to clarify your situation.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know whether you should capitalise job titles/roles of responsibility when discussing them in open text questions?

Seem to be getting asked this a lot recently. This may help:

Attachments

• 19335F3B-88BB-4E1E-908F-FA0764FFB674.jpeg
      19335F3B-88BB-4E1E-908F-FA0764FFB674.jpeg
      490.6 KB · Views: 58
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: lozza_2

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a firm asks you "which office would you not work for", how on earth would you be asked this?Prepping for an AC, and a friend was asked this! Thanks :)(I;m super clueless!)

Is this a firm that rotates people around offices or has a lot of secondment opportunities? If so, it’s probably just trying to understand your preferences. Sometimes asking people where they don’t want to go is easier than asking them where there do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jaysen, yes, of course, sorry. The questions are:

1. Summarise three key skills you feel you have gained from your work experience to date. How would those skills help add value to our clients?

2. Working with innovative and fast paced clients means our lawyers need more than just legal expertise. What other key attributes would you bring to the firm?

So, for (1), I was thinking of organisation, analysing and communicating information, and teamwork. I’m not sure what (2) would require.

Thank you!

To me, I’d think skills are abilities and attributes are mentalities/approaches to work.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Is this a firm that rotates people around offices or has a lot of secondment opportunities? If so, it’s probably just trying to understand your preferences. Sometimes asking people where they don’t want to go is easier than asking them where there do.

Its for a firm that has over 50 offices, and does offer International Secondments. Ahh- that makes sense!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Within the long-form questions, I have written: "As Managing Director of XYZ Ltd, responsible for XYZ, I came to value autonomy....".
    Does anyone know whether you should capitalise job titles/roles of responsibility when discussing them in open text questions?

Within long-form questions, I have written: "As Managing Director of XYZ Ltd, responsible for XYZ, I came to value autonomy....".

frog

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from HSF, Macfarlanes, Travers, Ashurst or RPC for the summer schemes?

Seriously stressing because I applied a while back to all of them and not heard anythibg
    I haven't heard anything from HSF after passing the online test. I sent my application quite late though, I think it was 2nd Dec.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.