2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

H S

Distinguished Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi, I take way way way too long!! I am working full time as a paralegal and often finish at 7/8pm so I don't get much time on weeknights. But I struggle to stay focussed on the weekends and also find time to relax. When I do start writing I become a perfectionist and take ages to just write one answer. Then I doubt my abilities entirely and get frustrated which makes the whole process even longer. If anyone can offer some tips to me too, that would be great!

I have worked out the best time of the day to work for me though (I am not a night owl and focus better first thing in the morning) so maybe try that too? Set a few hours during the day to work to the best of your abilities and put your phone away for that time. Might help (although I don't know your situation)!

Omg thank you for this! Reading it I'm literally like "yes, that's me...yes, that's also me" hahah - I work full time too and also finish around the same time 7pm ish some days! Totally agree, I'm also a perfectionist and writing even one answer takes AGES. I also focus better in the morning so I think prioritising those hours is definitely a good idea. Jessica also mentioned in another thread that perhaps going outside to a cafe or something similar for a few hours for some quiet time away from the house could help - maybe that'll work for you?

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: OB and NCLaw

Income and Expenses

Standard Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Dec 12, 2020
    Does anyone know if you can apply to the sullivan and cromwell vacation scheme as a final year law student??
    I applied as a final year law student and got rejected straight off the bat. Reading the description on their website more closely, looks like they're only looking to take penultimate years :(

Edit: Disregard this! Looks like I just got rejected lol

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Samantha and OB

NCLaw

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2018
    Omg thank you for this! Reading it I'm literally like "yes, that's me...yes, that's also me" hahah - I work full time too and also finish around the same time 7pm ish some days! Totally agree, I'm also a perfectionist and writing even one answer takes AGES. I also focus better in the morning so I think prioritising those hours is definitely a good idea. Jessica also mentioned in another thread that perhaps going outside to a cafe or something similar for a few hours for some quiet time away from the house could help - maybe that'll work for you?

Something I am trying which seems to be working is literally just bullet point planning your answer. Write all the key points you want to get down and make sure your whole application has a structure and you have included all the points you want in it. I feel like it takes me longer sometimes because I am thinking about the next answer too much or worrying that I haven't included something crucial and will write a less good answer because of it (the problems of an overthinker!!). It then makes it easier when you come to writing to not think about the exact words you're using so much because you're more confident that the idea is being put across properly, if that makes sense?

But yes, definitely just get up and work in the morning if that's the best time for you - did that today and it's worked a treat. Now going to go to the gym happy knowing I've actually concentrated today!

• 🤝
    Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97 and H S

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi Guys, hope you're all having a happy Sunday :)

I have been 'working' on my Mishcon de Reya app on and off for the past two sad long lonely months and have changed my answer to the 'tell us about a recent case' question at least half a dozen times... and today is another one of those times.

Basically, I kinda want to talk about the European Commission's clampdown on Amazon's bad/ anticompetitive behaviour so I can talk about the general 'tech firms need to be controlled' fiasco that's been going on over the past 18 months... the only problem is that the Amazon thing is not technically a 'case' per se as no one has had to go to court, rather the EC has just finished their investigation into Amazon - so is it still relevant for me to write about this even though it is not an actual fully-fledged case?

Would love to hear other people's thoughts :)

I personally wouldn't spend 2 months on a question - you will get yourself in a tizz and if you keep changing your answer, its gonna impact you more. Look at a case, think how a commercial solicitor would look at it, think what you find interesting and structure a unique answer.

While I'm not gonna comment on the case, I defo think you should try to not overthink this and let your analytical skills come through in your answer. I have heard some successful applicants choose the most obscure cases and they were successful cause they were concise in their answers. :))

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97 and H S

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    I personally wouldn't spend 2 months on a question - you will get yourself in a tizz and if you keep changing your answer, its gonna impact you more. Look at a case, think how a commercial solicitor would look at it, think what you find interesting and structure a unique answer.

While I'm not gonna comment on the case, I defo think you should try to not overthink this and let your analytical skills come through in your answer. I have heard some successful applicants choose the most obscure cases and they were successful cause they were concise in their answers. :))

I agree with this.

I'm all down for taking your time but I've learnt there's such a thing as taking too much time. Not only is it counter-productive but you could literally be writing another application during the time it takes you to write one. And if you get rejected, it just feels like a waste of time.

Whilst there's no strict right or wrong answer, I try to do mine in a week just because after it gets super jarring and I just want to submit it. I work full-time and finish at 5:30pm/6pm so I chill for a little bit and then draft. I've found that because I value my time so much more as a full-time worker, I'm able to get a lot done which is different from being a student where I'd spend whole days doing an app and not getting much done. I've also been through the cycle a few times and I've learnt how to write effectively more than I did when I first started applying.

Firm research takes the most time for me but I try to get involved in virtual events/resources rather than the standard Chambers/LCN/etc. It's often better to research in a dynamic setting and you're able to learn a bit more than what it says in print.

I always live by these points:
    • Is each line I write truly effective? Is it applicable to the question/does it answer the question directly? Is each line tailored to the firm (where possible)? Can I take out Firm X and add Firm Y? If so, how can I change it?
    • What's the application process? Is my application screened rolling basis? Are offers given out to the AC on a rolling basis? When's the best time to apply?
    • Have I structured my points well? Do I follow Point, Evidence, Explain or STAR? Can I reduce words to make things flow better? Have I removed any adjectives or complex words that I don't need? Does it flow when speaking aloud?
    • Have I found what the firm is looking for in each question? - this is arguably the most important one. I like to go to Firm events/attend webinars/email Grad Rec just to find out what they're looking for in particular. For example, Firm X may ask "What skills can you bring to our firm?" and be looking for specific skills or a breadth of skills whereas Firm Y may be looking for a STAR method on how you showed any two skills of your choosing.

Overall, it's a process that you definitely master over time.

Reactions: angel3oo, Ricky and Zoo

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    It should (in my opinion) be fine, the EC has filed formal antitrust charges against Amazon for using their extensive data advantage against 3rd party vendors. This is one of many good examples of European and American antitrust ‘clampdowns’ and is most certainly relevant, especially if your firm of interest has a large client base in TMT high market M&A and other effected areas.

Please someone say if they disagree with this: I believe that (dependent on the wording of the question in the app) it is more important to portray your interest in the recent case and its applicability to the firm (if asked) rather than the legal details, whether or not it is ‘fully-fledged’ litigation etc etc.

I agree with this.

I'm all down for taking your time but I've learnt there's such a thing as taking too much time. Not only is it counter-productive but you could literally be writing another application during the time it takes you to write one. And if you get rejected, it just feels like a waste of time.

Thanks for your input guys, definitely taken it on board!

Just to clarify I didn't spend 2 full months slaving over the application haha... I work full time and have made 5 other applications since October so I'm not a complete loon (just yet)... having said that, I started prepping this application before the others and still hadn't managed to finish it (although I have just drafted a final answer today, so hopefully I can forget about it for a bit) so was feeling really frustrated about it.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020

Just to clarify I didn't spend 2 full months slaving over the application haha... I work full time and have made 5 other applications since October so I'm not a complete loon (just yet)... having said that, I started prepping this application before the others and still hadn't managed to finish it (although I have just drafted a final answer today, so hopefully I can forget about it for a bit) so was feeling really frustrated about it.

Haha I get what you mean! I've had some apps like that where I've maybe done some research or drafting but haven't finished it. As long as you're submitting, that's really all that matters. Some Firm applications are boring, too long, too complex to answer so you're better off doing the ones you feel you can give a good try first, rather than spend hours on one that you're not bought into.

And if the deadline approaches and you'd rather submit other apps, my advice is to do just that.

Good luck! :D

Reactions: Lawbour

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020

Best of luck, lovely. I am sure you will smash it. Don't be so hard on yourself! We are all in the same boat :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Haha I get what you mean! I've had some apps like that where I've maybe done some research or drafting but haven't finished it. As long as you're submitting, that's really all that matters. Some Firm applications are boring, too long, too complex to answer so you're better off doing the ones you feel you can give a good try first, rather than spend hours on one that you're not bought into.

And if the deadline approaches and you'd rather submit other apps, my advice is to do just that.

Good luck! :D

I kinda prefer the boring standard ones because at least you know what to expect haha. this app was a little different so it threw me a bit :/
    And definitely agree with you on skipping some apps lol... I started with a list of 15 apps I wanted to do and now it's just 8 lol

Thanks for your advice and best of luck to you too :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Is around 750 words for the White & Case cover letter (vac scheme) reasonable?

I am conscious of the balance of being concise and demonstrating everything I would like to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is around 750 words for the White & Case cover letter (vac scheme) reasonable?

I am conscious of the balance of being concise and demonstrating everything I would like to.

yes - about the appropriate length given the rest of the form and information you need to provide

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    When a firm asks "tell me about a news story", is it important to link it to the firms core practises? For e.g, I really enjoy following Corporate stories, but the firm I have a VS with have a strong focus on Banking- would this be an issue?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When a firm asks "tell me about a news story", is it important to link it to the firms core practises? For e.g, I really enjoy following Corporate stories, but the firm I have a VS with have a strong focus on Banking- would this be an issue?

do they have a corporate practice area?

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    @Jessica Booker I am an international student applying for vacation schemes. I do not require a visa to do the scheme itself but I would require Tier 2 visa sponsorship for a Training Contract. Should I answer yes or no to this question: "Do you require permission or a visa to work in the office location(s) you are applying to?" For some firms, there is an additional section: "Are there any special requirements that you need from the firm? If yes, please give details". Should I always answer no and provide further information in applications that have the additional question? Would really appreciate a graduate recruitment opinion on this :)

Last edited:

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    For the Willkie VI, it says they will test my 'understanding of law firms'. Is this a general question about the structure of Law Firms, how they operate etc or can I assume this is a question about my understanding of Willkie specifically? Thanks!

How do they stay profitable, what gives them a competitive edge, how do they add value etc. You should prep it specifically.

• 🤝
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: WRM19 and WannabeSolicitor24
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.