2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLA

M&A Bootcamp
Jan 25, 2020
Thanks for that! I received an email yesterday to do the WG test.

I just received an email that I did not get through to the next stage in my application at Hogan after completing my WG test. I am disappointed, I usually do well at the WG tests and have practiced almost all week before taking the test. Can anybody let me know whether they've received the scores from the WG test at Hogan? Can I ask GR to provide these?

Last edited:

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    When an application asks separate questions about “key skills” and “key attributes”, how do you differentiate between them? What is an attribute? Would resilience count? Thank you!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When an application asks separate questions about “key skills” and “key attributes”, how do you differentiate between them? What is an attribute? Would resilience count? Thank you!

Could you post the full questions?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When a firm asks "tell me about a news story", is it important to link it to the firms core practises? For e.g, I really enjoy following Corporate stories, but the firm I have a VS with have a strong focus on Banking- would this be an issue?

No - unless the firm asks you to there's no need to make a link. If the firm has a strong focus on banking, I'd be surprised if corporate isn't also a big part of the firm's work.

Reactions: angel3oo

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Could you post the full questions?
    Hi Jaysen, yes, of course, sorry. The questions are:

1. Summarise three key skills you feel you have gained from your work experience to date. How would those skills help add value to our clients?

2. Working with innovative and fast paced clients means our lawyers need more than just legal expertise. What other key attributes would you bring to the firm?

So, for (1), I was thinking of organisation, analysing and communicating information, and teamwork. I’m not sure what (2) would require.

Thank you!

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I just received an email that I did not get through to the next stage in my application at Hogan after completing my WG test. I am disappointed, I usually do well at the WG tests and have practiced almost all week before taking the test. Can anybody let me know whether they've received the scores from the WG test at Hogan? Can I ask GR to provide these?

Hey, you can drop them an email asking for the test result! The benchmark is 18th percentile

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen, yes, of course, sorry. The questions are:

1. Summarise three key skills you feel you have gained from your work experience to date. How would those skills help add value to our clients?

2. Working with innovative and fast paced clients means our lawyers need more than just legal expertise. What other key attributes would you bring to the firm?

So, for (1), I was thinking of organisation, analysing and communicating information, and teamwork. I’m not sure what (2) would require.

Thank you!

No problem at all, just helps to give the right advice!

I see attributes more as personal qualities that are internal (e.g. integrity, reliability, work ethic etc.), whereas skills are more external (and perhaps something that has been acquired).

Many are interchangeable though; I see the big difference here being the fact that the first question is about your work experience, whereas you can draw from a broader range of experiences in the second question.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.