2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jds555

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 26, 2019
I would write this out in full. At an Open Day, GR mentioned that they use this question to see if you've done your research into the career etc, so I really went into detail about some of the things I had learnt from attending various events.
Hey Dheepa,

Many thanks for your help with the Latham advice that you provided, it really helped. I am also, currently stuck on this question for White&Case? How would you suggest the best way is to detail these experiences from the events that you attended? Many thanks.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hey guys - I am not quite sure whether I should apply for a direct TC at Macfarlanes or their spring vac scheme. I do have some legal work experience and have interacted with the firm as various events. I am also about to start the GDL but the deadline for the spring vac scheme is 31st Jan and TC deadline is June 31st, so I'm not quite sure which option to go for. Would appreciate any help!:)
I believe Macfarlanes do take quite a large percentage from direct TCs so if you’re confident with your app then go for it! Or, I think you can apply to both. If you’re unsuccessful for the spring you can apply for a TC that year (but you cannot apply again after this)

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    When did you do it? I did mine just now but last year they took 4 months to get back to me though understandably they were dealing with the COVID pandemic so needed to make new arrangements! Hopefully it will be sooner than that :D

Oh really! What was the outcome if you don’t mind me asking? I sent mine last week, waiting to hear back makes me so nervous !

• 🤝
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Oh really! What was the outcome if you don’t mind me asking? I sent mine last week, waiting to hear back makes me so nervous !

Last year I got to the partner interview! (Hoping to get to the VS this year lol!) but yes not sure how I did given the VI was quite tough!! I’m already anxious and only submitted it 2/3 hours ago haha so I totally understand! Given they’ve been getting back to people quite quickly with VI invites I’m thinking we will be finding out this month!?

Reactions: layla rose

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    I'd recommend identifying two or three skills that you think are important for the role of a trainee (alternatively have a look at the firm's grad rec website and see what skills they look for in trainees) and then using the STAR method to provide examples of when you've demonstrated these skills. I'd then tie it back into exactly why you think the skill would be useful for the role.

The key thing is to be as specific as possible about your understanding of the day to day role of a commercial lawyer. For example, organisational skills are important because you're often going to be helping to coordinate transactions/documents across different teams and offices. I think taking the extra step like this to show that you understand exactly how these skills will be useful for the role will really help your answer stand out.

Thanks a lot, that’s a good example! So, all things considered, you think I’m still expected to tie those skills/attributes back to my own experience even though they don’t explicitly ask that?

Reactions: Dheepa

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    The people who received VIs for mishcon, when did you apply and did you apply for spring or summer?

I applied at 1 am on the 31st December, received VI invite on the 6th January! From my portal it only says vacation scheme and I don't remember putting down a preference so I am assuming there is only one VS!

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Last year I got to the partner interview! (Hoping to get to the VS this year lol!) but yes not sure how I did given the VI was quite tough!! I’m already anxious and only submitted it 2/3 hours ago haha so I totally understand! Given they’ve been getting back to people quite quickly with VI invites I’m thinking we will be finding out this month!?

That’s amazing ! Best of luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.