Ask 3 future trainees (Magic & Silver Circle, International Elite) ANYTHING! *New TCLA Team Members*

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (500 words)

Could someone please help me with this question-

Earlier posts have suggested the following approach- detailing why you are interested in 'a specific sector/department' and then going into 'an area within the said sector' and why you are interested in it- i.e. linking your answers to part 1 and 2 of the question.
e.g. 'I am interested in the 'Real Estate and Infrastructure' department because of x. Within the 'Real Estate and Infrastructure' department, I am interested in 'Planning' because of Y.

Is this the best way to approach it? Or should the questions be approached separately? Is the first part of question asking more generally what we find attractive about BCLP's sector- approach?

Thanks,

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
Also, for work experience sections with short word limits (100 words), is it better to chose one task/responsibility and detail this with CAR/STAR, or should we try to outline more tasks at the expense of a fuller analysis of each?

Thanks,

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner’s sectors/ departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract and why? (500 words)

Could someone please help me with this question-

Earlier posts have suggested the following approach- detailing why you are interested in 'a specific sector/department' and then going into 'an area within the said sector' and why you are interested in it- i.e. linking your answers to part 1 and 2 of the question.
e.g. 'I am interested in the 'Real Estate and Infrastructure' department because of x. Within the 'Real Estate and Infrastructure' department, I am interested in 'Planning' because of Y.

Is this the best way to approach it? Or should the questions be approached separately? Is the first part of question asking more generally what we find attractive about BCLP's sector- approach?

Thanks,
I don't agree with earlier posts. You can be interested in a sector OR a department. You don't have to include the combination of a sector AND a department. You may not have a specific interest in any sectors, your interest may only be departments (and that is fine) or vice versa.

Reactions: Dheepa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also, for work experience sections with short word limits (100 words), is it better to chose one task/responsibility and detail this with CAR/STAR, or should we try to outline more tasks at the expense of a fuller analysis of each?

Thanks,

No - would strongly advise against this approach. Just focus on your responsibilites or impact in the role.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry so the second option then right?

Thanks,
Neither really. Focus on what is most important in terms of responsibilities and impact you had in the role, particularly thinking about the relevancy to the role/organisation you are applying to. That might mean not listing out everything, but just using one example would be the worst thing to do in my opinion.

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
I don't agree with earlier posts. You can be interested in a sector OR a department. You don't have to include the combination of a sector AND a department. You may not have a specific interest in any sectors, your interest may only be departments (and that is fine) or vice versa.
Thanks for this.

But doesn't that mean that they are actually only asking one question in effect- what sector or department are you interested in and why?. If so, why have they written it the way they have (in the form of two questions).. I'm confused at whether they have done so because they want you to write specifically about the significance of the sector approach/or at least link your answer to it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for this.

But doesn't that mean that they are actually only asking one question in effect- what sector or department are you interested in and why?. If so, why have they written it the way they have (in the form of two questions).. I'm confused at whether they have done so because they want you to write specifically about the significance of the sector approach/or at least link your answer to it?
To me they are two seperate questions 1) is asking about your interests and 2) is understanding how they might fit into a training contract. The second is assessing whether you understand the structure of the training contract and what you might experience in the two years, not just what you are interested in. To me it suggests you need an understanding of things like seat structure, complusory seats, opportunities for secondments (related to those departments/sectors) etc.

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
To me they are two seperate questions 1) is asking about your interests and 2) is understanding how they might fit into a training contract. The second is assessing whether you understand the structure of the training contract and what you might experience in the two years, not just what you are interested in. To me it suggests you need an understanding of things like seat structure, complusory seats, opportunities for secondments (related to those departments/sectors) etc.
Thanks again.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi @Tarnjeet - I completely agree with what Jessica has already said here. I would be focussing in on either a sector or department and then really drilling down on your interest in that area. Also- forgive me for stating the obvious- check that BCLP definitely have a team in the area you choose! It never looks great if you chat for ages about a particular practice area only to find out that the firm don't do anything there!

In terms of the 100 word count question, I also agree with Jessica's position that you just focus on your impact etc than trying to STAR it. Best of luck with your app!

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    Hello :)

I've stumbled across this question on an application and wondered if you could please shed some light on how you would approach the question and what sort of things you would think to mention. The question is: 'please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?' and the word limit is 250 words.

Thanks!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hello :)

I've stumbled across this question on an application and wondered if you could please shed some light on how you would approach the question and what sort of things you would think to mention. The question is: 'please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd?' and the word limit is 250 words.

Thanks!
    Hi Amy,

Great question! This was one of the questions I always found harder to approach, simply due to the fact that it is much more open-ended than other questions which are asking you to focus on specific things.

I would typically use this question to showcase skills or experiences which I felt were relevant to the application but that I hadn't been able to fit in elsewhere. I would tend to take it at face value in terms of answering using examples etc which are genuinely unique to you and looking at your life in a more rounded way than just your desire to have a career in commercial law. What do you genuinely feel marks you out as a unique candidate that you've not already brought up?

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Amy_22

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hi @Tarnjeet - I completely agree with what Jessica has already said here. I would be focussing in on either a sector or department and then really drilling down on your interest in that area. Also- forgive me for stating the obvious- check that BCLP definitely have a team in the area you choose! It never looks great if you chat for ages about a particular practice area only to find out that the firm don't do anything there!

In terms of the 100 word count question, I also agree with Jessica's position that you just focus on your impact etc than trying to STAR it. Best of luck with your app!
    @Jacob Miller Thank you!

When you say check that they have a team in the area, the fact that the area is listed as one of their PAs and that it is listed as seat option, confirms this right? Sorry just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    What is the best advice for tests is the SJT because I feel that every time the SJT test is what leads to my rejection in applications. Also, how do you ensure that you answer the test on your competencies and use the firm's values.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jacob Miller Thank you!

When you say check that they have a team in the area, the fact that the area is listed as one of their PAs and that it is listed as seat option, confirms this right? Sorry just wanted to make sure.
    Just check their website to see that the given area is something they have a team in buddy :)

Edit to add: Sorry, I slightly misconstrued your message; yes, indeed that data would confirm it.

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What is the best advice for tests is the SJT because I feel that every time the SJT test is what leads to my rejection in applications. Also, how do you ensure that you answer the test on your competencies and use the firm's values.
    Hi Asil,

This is a pretty broad question! SJT's are designed to test a variety of competencies and your mindset towards working the most effectively in a commercial firm scenario. To that end, the way I approached the questions themselves was to really think through the implications and consequences of each possible answer relative to what a law firm would expect from a candidate in terms of things like mindset, work ethic, manner, morals etc as well as in the key competencies required, e.g., teamwork, leadership, time management etc. In terms of the specific firm's values etc, consider researching these before you take the test and then bear them in mind through the test- if there are questions which are clearly hinting towards a particular value-fit, try and answer accordingly.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi Asil,

This is a pretty broad question! SJT's are designed to test a variety of competencies and your mindset towards working the most effectively in a commercial firm scenario. To that end, the way I approached the questions themselves was to really think through the implications and consequences of each possible answer relative to what a law firm would expect from a candidate in terms of things like mindset, work ethic, manner, morals etc as well as in the key competencies required, e.g., teamwork, leadership, time management etc. In terms of the specific firm's values etc, consider researching these before you take the test and then bear them in mind through the test- if there are questions which are clearly hinting towards a particular value-fit, try and answer accordingly.
    Hello Jacob,

Thank you for this and it does help what you said and I agree with you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.