Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Its illegal for an employer to ask about your disability (and I believe mitcirc). Hence, why you have the make the first move in disclosing. If they quiz you, that's a breach of the Equality Act unless its for evidence.

Please message me if you would like any assistance with this.
That will only be if the mitigating circumstances that fall under disability. Vast majority don't.

CJCH

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Nov 2, 2020
Does anyone have experience using the platform Impact (amberjack) for virtual AC? I found some YouTube videos introducing the platform but they only targeted the recruitment teams...

Any insights from a candidate's perspective would be much appreciated! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do we think law firms stance will be on the whole GameStop situation? If you are discussing this at an AC is it best to not share any form of political view?
You don’t have to have the same stance as a firm. You won’t know the stance of your interviewers (they will be from across the political spectrum). But i think it’s more important to hold an opinion on it than not giving your view.

happygoluckyyy

• Nov 6, 2020
    H
    What do we think law firms stance will be on the whole GameStop situation? If you are discussing this at an AC is it best to not share an

Oh wow? Good to know - surprised by this. Does this apply to mit circ like bereavement etc? Can they really quiz you on that?
    Had an AC recently and a partner asked me to elaborate on my mit circ but he was very polite and respectful and just wanted to understand the context better - I didn't feel interrogated or anything and it spun into an interesting tangent about how it taught me to balance work during tough personal times :)

Reactions: TLC20

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oh wow? Good to know - surprised by this. Does this apply to mit circ like bereavement etc? Can they really quiz you on that?
    They can - that wouldn’t fall under a discrimination risk. I personally wouldn’t raise it in an interview if it was explained clearly on an application form, but that’s just my personal view on things.

Reactions: bethbristol

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Has anyone else who applied to Linklaters long ago, still not heard back yet? I applied in first week of December and completed my online tests soon after, but my application is still on hold/under review.

It’s been so long, I actually forgot I even applied 😂 I am sure there are many others who haven’t heard back too

Reactions: stemlawgal

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    In an 'explain a time where you've been resilient' (as such) question I wrote about my experiences with mental health and how it impacted my studies etc. I've done this for another firm and was invited for VI, but now I'm worried that writing about it in my most recent app was too personal. I didn't go into any detail about my mental health itself but rather about what I learnt from it blah blah... I just feel it was risky discussing mental health. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    You don’t have to have the same stance as a firm. You won’t know the stance of your interviewers (they will be from across the political spectrum). But i think it’s more important to hold an opinion on it than not giving your view.
    Brilliant thank you! I wasn’t sure if I should avoid talking about it or just remain impartial

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    kinda late to the conversation but re: clifford chance and the age discrimination stuff, it’s a bit confusing bc when i went to one of their events i met so many people who were “mature” ie had worked as paralegals for some years, had done masters degrees and generally not become a trainee until after their undergrad! indeed one of my friends who’s a graduate has got an AC coming up this Feb!

D

Deleted member 8227

If a firm asks you what the biggest mistake you've made, can you say making a poor module choice? Also if I was asked when I had constructive criticism, is it poor taste to use the feedback from my first-year scheme at a different firm and how I've built on it?

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Has anyone else who applied to Linklaters long ago, still not heard back yet? I applied in first week of December and completed my online tests soon after, but my application is still on hold/under review.
    Yep loads of us in that boat. I know that they run loads of ACs and do them in batches, my best guess is that they don't want to give some people considerably more lead time than others.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In an 'explain a time where you've been resilient' (as such) question I wrote about my experiences with mental health and how it impacted my studies etc. I've done this for another firm and was invited for VI, but now I'm worried that writing about it in my most recent app was too personal. I didn't go into any detail about my mental health itself but rather about what I learnt from it blah blah... I just feel it was risky discussing mental health. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I think the only person who can determine whether it’s too personal or not is you.

I don’t personally see it as risky, especially if you have shown how you learnt/developed from it, which it sounds like was your focus.

Firm’s know that some of their most successful hires will be people with or who in the past had mental health problems. There only concern is whether you are able to cope now - they have a duty of care in that respect, and that’s why the “how you have learnt/developed” from your circumstances piece is important.

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    hmmm tbf i think many people choose personal situations but it is true that some arent as palatable as others which makes it difficult... i think if it’s something which affected u in the short term that might be potentially more acceptable than writing about an issue that is more ongoing n could affect future performance? but also i think the way that it seems you framed your answer sounds good n especially w ensuring there is that positivity there ultimately

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    Same. Completed the tests on 9 December and waiting to hear back although I am terrible at the WG so not sure I want to hear back 😂

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.