2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
The BCLP AC includes a "case study and presentation" and from my understanding, there is no written element to be assessed here because we only have to present to lawyers/Grad Rec right?

Can someone please give me a better idea of what this part of the AC is?

Thank you

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
@Jaysen @Jacob Miller and other members of the tcla team

I was wondering if you had any tips for sub headings regarding written exercises? For example, recommending a course of action to a client? But for other firms of WE too.

I have a W&C AC coming up with a long WE element (details currently unclear) and I would love to go in with some idea of how to structure advice successfully :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen @Jacob Miller and other members of the tcla team

I was wondering if you had any tips for sub headings regarding written exercises? For example, recommending a course of action to a client? But for other firms of WE too.

I have a W&C AC coming up with a long WE element (details currently unclear) and I would love to go in with some idea of how to structure advice successfully :)

Hey! I wouldn't try to think of particular subheadings beforehand because it's so dependent on an exercise, and you want to approach it with an open mind.

Just keep in mind that you want something clear, concise and relevant. If you feel it's needed, you want something that allows the client to get to the important information quickly.

sl399

Oct 20, 2020
    The BCLP AC includes a "case study and presentation" and from my understanding, there is no written element to be assessed here because we only have to present to lawyers/Grad Rec right?

Can someone please give me a better idea of what this part of the AC is?

Thank you
    Yes there's no written element - just analysing a case study, preparing a presentation for senior lawyers and then a Q&A. There was also a proofreading exercise based on the case study.

Reactions: GXA123 and Dwight

sl399

Oct 20, 2020
    I've had trouble keeping to time limits in the past for recorded VIs and I believe for the V&E VI you are given 1 min to record your answer. Does anyone have any tips on how to streamline your answers? For instance, I swear 1 min is not long enough to go through the STAR method..

sl399

Oct 20, 2020
    I can't help re: keeping to time (I struggle with it too), but what are you using the STAR method for for the V&E VI? Apparently the questions are Why Commercial Law, Why V&E, and What Motivates You?
    Ooh I wasn't sure what the questions were so I was just preparing generally! Did you hear this from someone who has done it this year?

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Yes! Someone posted yesterday that they had just done it and those were the questions. Not 100% sure that everyone gets the same questions though but you get unlimited time to prepare and can re-record which is a godsend anyway
    Hey, I would be cautious about the questions posted yesterday, the poster deleted their post and had PM me that they posted those questions just to gauge people's reaction and have not done the interview themselves!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Tbh, I don't think people should be posting video interview questions here. It's not fair to people working hard to prepare and you never know if different questions will be asked to others
    Given that you can re-record your answers as many times as you like for V&E, I think it is the exception to that normal rule.

Last edited:

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Tbh, I don't think people should be posting video interview questions here. It's not fair to people working hard to prepare and you never know if different questions will be asked to others
    I agree, but also, people who over prepare specific questions often sound really bad too. Scripted, robotic, ingenuine... An interviewer won't be impressed by someone managing to find out/predict/guess the questions, it's not a skill they're looking to hire. Someone who gets a curve ball question and responds appropriately on the spot will impress them - if you know the questions in advance then it doesn't enable to you show that skill.

Reactions: OB and Ricky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.