2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
If a firm asks what other firms I have applied to, how many is appropriate to list?
Hiya

As many as you think are relevant. Often, the main focus of the question is on your reasons why and how (if at all) they relate to the interests and reasons you have suggested led you to apply to your interviewing firm.

Hope this helps ☺️

Reactions: corplaw0702

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Which would one accept between HSF, Baker McKenzie, Mayer Brown or Hogan Lovells?
Hiya,

I don't think there really is a right answer here as its quite a personal topic. Every firm is different and there are a number of factors to consider when deciding which is best suited to your motivations, interests and generally your personality.

Some things I would consider would be:

- The firm's work e.g. key practice areas, reputation in key sectors and industries, key clients, size, stance on innovation and tech
- The training structure e.g. seat rotations, chances for international or client secondments, firm's approach to work, trainee retention rates
- The firm's culture ( e.g. D&I initiatives, personal experiences, pro-bono opportunities etc. )

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

lawloser

Star Member
Feb 8, 2021
Hiya,

I don't think there really is a right answer here as its quite a personal topic. Every firm is different and there are a number of factors to consider when deciding which is best suited to your motivations, interests and generally your personality.

Some things I would consider would be:

- The firm's work e.g. key practice areas, reputation in key sectors and industries, key clients, size, stance on innovation and tech
- The training structure e.g. seat rotations, chances for international or client secondments, firm's approach to work, trainee retention rates
- The firm's culture ( e.g. D&I initiatives, personal experiences, pro-bono opportunities etc. )

Hope this helps!
Thank you Naomi! :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Which would one accept between HSF, Baker McKenzie, Mayer Brown or Hogan Lovells?

What a great problem to have! Well done on getting offers from all three!

I'd recommend reaching out to trainees at all three firms and asking for their insight into things like the work, culture and anything else that might be especially important to you. I would also caution against taking anyone's opinion too literally. Everyone is going to tell you that their firm is the better one but always try to be objective and decide for yourself based on your own views.

PS: I loved everything about Bakers (I'm also obviously heavily biased haha) but the choice is yours! ;)

Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker What are firm requirements re GDL grades? Do they expect a 'Distinction'/'Merit' (Commendation)', or are they willing to look at someone with 2 'Passes'?

depends on the firm. There’s no set policy across firms.

One to check when you meet with/speak to firms before applying.

Reactions: tla99 and JoNo

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    What a great problem to have! Well done on getting offers from all three!

I'd recommend reaching out to trainees at all three firms and asking for their insight into things like the work, culture and anything else that might be especially important to you. I would also caution against taking anyone's opinion too literally. Everyone is going to tell you that their firm is the better one but always try to be objective and decide for yourself based on your own views.

PS: I loved everything about Bakers (I'm also obviously heavily biased haha) but the choice is yours! ;)

Baker's v strong NY-London axis (get dual qualified!), it's heavy D&I investment in the past few years compared to Silver Circle/London International firms, general US-oriented exposure in terms of trainee size and it's expansion into China for me! (bilingual).

Find your own reasons, and talk to trainees like Dheepa has mentioned!

Reactions: Dheepa

Rachel H

• Nov 27, 2020
    For anyone still waiting to hear back from Addleshaw Goddard post application, Grad Rec replied to my email this morning saying:

‘We are working extremely hard in processing all the applications this year, given the volume of applications we received this year it is taking us a little longer than usual to come back to all candidates, we will be in touch as soon as possible.’

Hope this helps anyone feeling stressed about not hearing anything ☺️
    thank you for this!! i thought i was the only one lol, which office did you apply to?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.