TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As a reminder, I’ll leave this from the community rules here:

We value diverse opinions and experiences:

Diverse opinions and experiences are known to make businesses more productive. TCLA expects our membership and forums to represent this diversity and benefit from it. People’s perceptions of the same matter often differ, whether it is a commercial story, a recruitment process, or an opinion of an employer. Expect our members to demonstrate this difference and think about the reasons why they may be different to your own when responding to them.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I know it’s a really intense time right now and it can be heightened on forums like this - in this case, it would be great if we can leave things here now. Both sides have had their say.
    As a reminder, I’ll leave this from the community rules here:

We value diverse opinions and experiences:

Diverse opinions and experiences are known to make businesses more productive. TCLA expects our membership and forums to represent this diversity and benefit from it. People’s perceptions of the same matter often differ, whether it is a commercial story, a recruitment process, or an opinion of an employer. Expect our members to demonstrate this difference and think about the reasons why they may be different to your own when responding to them.

Love it when mum and dad step in to stop the drama ❤️

Break It Up No GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    To return to the status quo of corporate law and application-based discussions...

Do any of you feel a little lost now that VS application season is coming to an end? All of mine are submitted, I've had responses from a majority of them, there aren't any more tests/VIs to do... it's like when exams finish. I work all day but I used to work all evening too. Now I'm not quite sure what to do with myself and I feel like I've forgotten how to relax! Anyone got any tips on what to do next?! Will accept suggestions for games, courses, fun hobbies to take up... what are y'all doing? I need a new project to get started on!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    To return to the status quo of corporate law and application-based discussions...

Do any of you feel a little lost now that VS application season is coming to an end? All of mine are submitted, I've had responses from a majority of them, there aren't any more tests/VIs to do... it's like when exams finish. I work all day but I used to work all evening too. Now I'm not quite sure what to do with myself and I feel like I've forgotten how to relax! Anyone got any tips on what to do next?! Will accept suggestions for games, courses, fun hobbies to take up... what are y'all doing? I need a new project to get started on!
    I'm knitting a blanket. I recommend knitting as a hobby for anyone. It's a lot easier than people think and it makes you feel like you're actually being productive when you watch netflix for 4 hours.

Also there are some good indie games to pick up if you want quick cheap fun on steam: omori, pikuniku, and return of the obra dinn are my current time wasters.

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I started reading! Not the boring kind of reading you do because you have to but the kind where you can’t put the book down because it’s making you ask a million questions and you’re fascinated. I make an effort to read every night before bed. It’s really improved how I feel and my sleeping pattern.
    Anyone looking for book recommendations, or has book recommendations please feel free to drop me a message.

I really like non-fiction atm

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I started reading! Not the boring kind of reading you do because you have to but the kind where you can’t put the book down because it’s making you ask a million questions and you’re fascinated. I make an effort to read every night before bed. It’s really improved how I feel and my sleeping pattern.
    Anyone looking for book recommendations, or has book recommendations please feel free to drop me a message.

I, myself, am a science fiction nerd.

• Love
    Reactions: LS12 and cmaj

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I'm knitting a blanket. I recommend knitting as a hobby for anyone. It's a lot easier than people think and it makes you feel like you're actually being productive when you watch netflix for 4 hours.

Also there are some good indie games to pick up if you want quick cheap fun on steam: omori, pikuniku, and return of the obra dinn are my current time wasters.

Oh
    my
    GOD

What a FABULOUS idea!!!! I love anything arty and fashion and have never thought about knitting. A friend recently knitted me a top and it's great as well. I always feel like I have to be productive and that's a relaxing way of doing it, thank you!

I've actually been trying to set this goal for myself and keep forgetting to do it lolol. I stopped reading to write applications back in 2018 and... never took it up again :( However, I tend to buy books and not read them so I have a pile next to me to start, maybe that could be another new project!

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Oh
    my
    GOD

What a FABULOUS idea!!!! I love anything arty and fashion and have never thought about knitting. A friend recently knitted me a top and it's great as well. I always feel like I have to be productive and that's a relaxing way of doing it, thank you!

I've actually been trying to set this goal for myself and keep forgetting to do it lolol. I stopped reading to write applications back in 2018 and... never took it up again :( However, I tend to buy books and not read them so I have a pile next to me to start, maybe that could be another new project!
    I saw a tweet that said buying books is a hobby in itself lol

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

You've had responses from most of yours already?!?

I applied to 28 firms this cycle (the most I've ever done). I have so far heard from 8. They seem to be taking their sweet sweet time with me ;_;

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Oh
    my
    GOD

Happy to help. For knitting (or crochet) patterns, the best place to go is Ravelry. So many are free and its all organised by difficulty, needle size, etc. Also, I learned mainly through youtube because of the many many many tutorials that exist, so even self teaching is simple. If you need any tips on how to get started DM me! :)

• Love
    Reactions: Zay and cmaj

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

I am applying for direct training contracts.

AJLegacy

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Anyone has heard anything back from Shearman, MB, Dechert and Macfarlanes recently?
    Only applied to Shearman on that list and haven't heard anything. I think a lot of people are in the same boat there and Shearman GR have mentioned that only a short time has passed since the deadline so we should be a little more patient.

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Anyone has heard anything back from Shearman, MB, Dechert and Macfarlanes recently?
    I applied to Mayer Brown - personally applied quite close to the deadline and they’re rolling - plus someone on the forum said last year they were rejected because they had filled all their spots - so not feeling hopeful but it was more me just me not wanting to regret not applying

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    it's less impressive than it sounds when you factor in the few months I took off after graduating with a menial job before starting the LPC in January. I had the time to kill. Anyone with that amount of time could do it.
    Ah! That makes perfect sense! Time aside, I applaud your motivation and dedication to research, plan and write 28 apps! 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Reactions: cmaj
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.