2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
It’s a shame you read it that way. I don’t think it was implied by either member that way.

This is exactly my point. There are a lot of people on here and most of us don't know each other (how we interpret things, how sensitive people are, what people are going through etc). So I just think it's easier to try and actively avoid ambiguity or implications in our responses.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hate? I just said try and be nicer to people, that's hate?
    Here's my view:

When completing a written exercise on TopScore, it will be okay to type my answer on word and just copy and paste my answer into TopScore (I want to take advantage of the autocorrect software) right?

^ your message above "take advantage of the autocorrect software" made it sound to me like you are somewhat trying to use autocorrect software when the software doesn't allow for it. Most firms would test spelling and grammar so seems like something they don't want you to rely on. That was just my honest opinion but obviously the firm has the final say in what their expectations are.

I'm not sure why my opinion was interpreted as being mean (?) but just a direct reaction to the above message. I hope you find a definitive answer soon x

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    Here's my view:

^ your message above "take advantage of the autocorrect software" made it sound to me like you are somewhat trying to use autocorrect software when the software doesn't allow for it. Most firms would test spelling and grammar so seems like something they don't want you to rely on. That was just my honest opinion but obviously the firm has the final say in what their expectations are.

I'm not sure why my opinion was interpreted as being mean (?) but just a direct reaction to the above message. I hope you find a definitive answer soon x

Thank you for clarifying.

I just know Word has autocorrect and I don't know if TopScore does or not, that is all. Better the devil you do know than the devil you don't and all that.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for clarifying.

I just know Word has autocorrect and I don't know if TopScore does or not, that is all. Better the devil you do know than the devil you don't and all that.
    It’s a web based platform. If you really wanted to you could add a Grammarly widget on to your web browser and no one would know the difference (although again, I wouldn’t rely on it).

And that comes from someone who uses Grammarly extensively when posting on here - you only have to look at my typos to realise it isn't always accurate/helpful

Lauren2

Valued Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    I most certainly did not apologise but have a good week and good luck with your applications.
    Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live
    I don’t even need to ask if you prefer sweet or salted

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    x factor what GIF

Crikey, imagine accepting you read my message the wrong way and not apologising for calling me unnecessary and insulting.
    If you step on someone’s shoe by accident, don’t you still apologise? Same way that if you insult someone (whether you intended to or not) you should still apologise. This isn’t even the first time that you’ve done this, you are a repeat offender, but let me not talk too much.

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    I most certainly did not apologise but have a good week and good luck with your applications.
    This is actually a really nice forum. I appreciate you felt attacked but that was addressed as a misunderstanding. You really could’ve responded with grace and moved on especially as unpaid volunteers have offered their opinion and guidance in response to your question. This whole process is stressful enough. Don’t add unnecessary contention to it. Good luck

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    This is actually a really nice forum. I appreciate you felt attacked but that was addressed as a misunderstanding. You really could’ve responded with grace and moved on especially as unpaid volunteers have offered their opinion and guidance in response to your question. This whole process is stressful enough. Don’t add unnecessary contention to it. Good luck

I did respond with grace. Every message I sent was polite until the ‘apology accepted’ message.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    If you step on someone’s shoe by accident, don’t you still apologise? Same way that if you insult someone (whether you intended to or not) you should still apologise. This isn’t even the first time that you’ve done this, you are a repeat offender, but let me not talk too much.
    Did you just admit that you should've apologised? I'm so confused what 'offence' I've 'repeated' but I think we can safely say it doesn't seem to be resolved. I agree with Jaysen, good night everyone :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.