2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey all! Sorry I've been incommunicado the last few days, been feeling a bit unwell so haven't been online! I've missed quite a chunk of this forum so please feel free to follow-up tag me in anything I was meant to see but have missed since about Friday!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend and that more positive results from ACs and interviews are coming through!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    For those waiting for news from Skadden AC - given the background check documents were due today, is it safe to assume it's a rejection if we didn't receive a call today?
    My impression was that the DBS check was required from candidates, prospectively, in the event that they have the docs in advance for the people they give offers- I don't think it means rejection if you haven't heard back by today? I could be wrong- I only say this as on this forum none has heard back, and neither has anyone on the forum from what I seen.

Good luck :) :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: Soccerox73

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    When completing a written exercise on TopScore, it will be okay to type my answer on word and just copy and paste my answer into TopScore (I want to take advantage of the autocorrect software) right?
    I feel like that’s somewhat cheating the system if they don’t allow you to use spell check?

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    If anyone has any tips for how to best approach a strengths-based interview it would be much appreciated. Currently unsure how to really prepare for questions that will be centred around how I'd react to certain situations in the future, apart from ensuring I fully know the firm's core values inside and out? I'm not sure if you have any specific tips @Jacob Miller :)

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    When completing a written exercise on TopScore, it will be okay to type my answer on word and just copy and paste my answer into TopScore (I want to take advantage of the autocorrect software) right?

I did this! It didn’t say anything about not being able to but I didn’t check to be honest. I just thought it would be easier to write in Word in case my internet crashed and I lost my work on TopScore 😀

frow3n

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    I did this! It didn’t say anything about not being able to but I didn’t check to be honest. I just thought it would be easier to write in Word in case my internet crashed and I lost my work on TopScore 😀
    I did one today using the TopScore platform and didn't use Word. My reasoning behind this was that if they can track real-time what you're writing then it might look odd if suddenly an answer appears with three minutes to go.

A written exercise is also meant to test your grammar and spelling, so might be best to be honest and do it properly!

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: OB

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    I did one today using the TopScore platform and didn't use Word. My reasoning behind this was that if they can track real-time what you're writing then it might look odd if suddenly an answer appears with three minutes to go.

A written exercise is also meant to test your grammar and spelling, so might be best to be honest and do it properly!

Just my 2 cents

Hmm, when I’ve done assessment centres in person though I’ve written on Word on a laptop? I think with TopScore, obviously the platform doesn’t have a spell check in it, but that doesn’t mean it’s because you’re not intended to use one. It gives an unfair advantage otherwise as many people have apps like Grammarly installed to their browser that automatically check open text fields. I passed my AC anyway doing it and the Grad Rec didn’t mention that I couldn’t use Word!

@Jessica Booker what do you know about this?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If anyone has any tips for how to best approach a strengths-based interview it would be much appreciated. Currently unsure how to really prepare for questions that will be centred around how I'd react to certain situations in the future, apart from ensuring I fully know the firm's core values inside and out? I'm not sure if you have any specific tips @Jacob Miller :)
    I would advise looking at my recent article which covers strengths-based interviews:

Reactions: Haz
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.