2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
I feel like that’s somewhat cheating the system if they don’t allow you to use spell check?
I did one today using the TopScore platform and didn't use Word. My reasoning behind this was that if they can track real-time what you're writing then it might look odd if suddenly an answer appears with three minutes to go.

A written exercise is also meant to test your grammar and spelling, so might be best to be honest and do it properly!

Just my 2 cents

I find that sometimes, some responses here have unnecessary and quite insulting implications. I'll have you know I was the spellathon champion 5 years in a row in secondary school 😂. I thought using Word would be pretty common. I have no idea what TopScore's tools are. If I knew TopScore explicitly didn't allow for spell check then I would not have asked.

Such implications don't just apply to me btw, I have read quite a few messages here where people ask for help and are indirectly insulted in response. Let's just all try and actively be helpful without passing judgment.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
An interview invitation from Fieldfisher. Has someone done it or maybe has any advice? Thanks!
I have - and was successful. For the interview with a partner/associate: honestly, by far the nicest interview I have ever had with any firm. The guy who interviewed me was an absolute angel. Loved him to pieces. For the grad rec interview: it was very standard, no trick questions at all. Just know why you want to work for them and why they should hire you really.
My tips would be to know the firm really, really, really well. Look at their website. Have your competency examples all set.
Is this the initial interview or the AC with written exercise?

goldrush

Standard Member
  • Feb 8, 2021
    I have - and was successful. For the interview with a partner/associate: honestly, by far the nicest interview I have ever had with any firm. The guy who interviewed me was an absolute angel. Loved him to pieces. For the grad rec interview: it was very standard, no trick questions at all. Just know why you want to work for them and why they should hire you really.
    My tips would be to know the firm really, really, really well. Look at their website. Have your competency examples all set.
    Is this the initial interview or the AC with written exercise?
    Hi, thank you so much for the quick answer. That's great to hear!
    It is the initial interview with a member from grad rec. Was it more competency-based or was it more along the lines of "why law, why FF, etc"? Thanks again!

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    When completing a written exercise on TopScore, it will be okay to type my answer on word and just copy and paste my answer into TopScore (I want to take advantage of the autocorrect software) right?
    I did this, but I would actually recommend against it. When I pasted my answer into TopScore, the formatting went absolutely haywire and I had about 30 seconds to sort it out. I actually ended up calling the grad recruiter, explaining what had happened, and manually emailing the written exercise as a Word doc.

While clearly the recruitment team didn't have an issue with me doing it on Word (they encouraged us to save a copy onto Word in any case), it caused me a lot of unnecessary stress!

Also, just editing to add that it didn't even occur to me using Word might be unfair on other candidates... I feel bad now!! 🤣 For me, it was just a question of being able to see the documents while writing, because if I'd written straight into TopScore I would have had to flick between tabs. Luckily the grad recruiters didn't have an issue with it, but this has definitely been a good reminder to check these things in future!

Last edited:

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi, thank you so much for the quick answer. That's great to hear!
    It is the initial interview with a member from grad rec. Was it more competency-based or was it more along the lines of "why law, why FF, etc"? Thanks again!
    From what I remember, a mixture of both. I don't remember the specific questions but there was nothing that I felt was unexpected so I'd prepare your why law, why commercial law, why us and why you questions as well as basic competencies like team work, communication, resilience etc. And know when to stop talking so you don't just ramble.

Reactions: goldrush

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I find that sometimes, some responses here have unnecessary and quite insulting implications. I'll have you know I was the spellathon champion 5 years in a row in secondary school 😂. I thought using Word would be pretty common. I have no idea what TopScore's tools are. If I knew TopScore explicitly didn't allow for spell check then I would not have asked.

Such implications don't just apply to me btw, I have read quite a few messages here where people ask for help and are indirectly insulted in response. Let's just all try and actively be helpful without passing judgment.
    From my view, I don't find either of those responses personally insulting. They are just explaining the realities of the platform/task - I wouldn't take it personally.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For insight into Topscore functionality, feel free to PM me as a can send you a link to a video.

I have a PDF too but it’s too big a file so you’ll have to email me at [email protected] if you want me to email you a copy.

Last edited:
    Reactions: cmaj

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

Lol didn't realise giving an honest opinion would ignite so much hate hahahaha good luck on the ACs y'all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was never, ever going to rely solely on autocorrect. 😂 I proofread all pieces of work an unnecessary amount of times before I submit. Sometimes it's just nice to know autocorrect is there just in case.
    Then you technically are relying on it to be there just in case 😬

Reactions: OB

goldrush

Standard Member
  • Feb 8, 2021
    From what I remember, a mixture of both. I don't remember the specific questions but there was nothing that I felt was unexpected so I'd prepare your why law, why commercial law, why us and why you questions as well as basic competencies like team work, communication, resilience etc. And know when to stop talking so you don't just ramble.
    That sounds good, I will start preparing then. Thank you so much for your help!
    What did you apply for, can I ask? I was under the impression they had deferred TC recruitment this year and that it wouldn't be opening until June.
    Hi, I applied for their Diversity Access scheme. You are correct, I think the TC won’t open until the Summer.

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Is anyone going crazy with this wait...?

One minute I am optimistic and up in the clouds thinking I have done well and will pass and get that VS....
    ....the next moment I am like NOPE, I screwed this part and that part and it is not going to work.... 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

crazy eyes GIF by GIPHY CAM

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    From my view, I don't find either of those responses personally insulting. They are just explaining the realities of the platform/task - I wouldn't take it personally.
    Respectfully, we are all going to find different things insulting. In my opinion, there were about 97 different ways to explain the realities of the platform without insinuating that I was trying to cheat the system and/or be dishonest.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Respectfully, we are all going to find different things insulting. In my opinion, there were about 97 different ways to explain the realities of the platform without insinuating that I was trying to cheat the system and/or be dishonest.
    It’s a shame you read it that way. I don’t think it was implied by either member that way.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My advice for written exercises on Topscore.

Your exercise is automatically saved every few seconds. So copying from another document will be obvious.

To check, ask your administrator/facilitator on the day as to whether you can use Word or another form of document software and copy into Topscore. They will explain whether you can or not.

It’s a legitimate question to ask.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.