2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    DLA Piper hasn't announced yet whether it will be virtual this year

DLA is planning theirs to go ahead in person! An associate confirmed to me that they’re going to do everything possible to make it go ahead as their office is very new and equipped for socially distancing. If government guidelines allow us to be in the office, it will happen

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    I applied for the Reed Smith summer vac scheme yesterday as I thought the deadline was the 31st of March. Now just noticed on their website that they will be closing the application deadline on the 17th of February... hope a miracle happens and I'm still considered lol

As I send my application successfully, is it likely I will be considered or not?

Last edited:

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Anyone else find it a bit draining when every single post on your LinkedIn feed is a lengthy “I’m so happy to announce I’ve got on ... vac scheme/TC”. Obvs happy their successes but draining for those of us getting rejections 😅

Honestly I just quit LinkedIn because it all seemed so fake, this forum is much more accurate to real life ♥

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also - completely off the beaten track of normal discussion, apologies - if anyone who uses this forum has a bit of knowledge/ experience on the London rental market, I'd massively appreciate if you wouldn't mind sliding into my DMs so I can pick your brains for a few minutes!

Moving down in a few months but it's a bit of a minefield when you're used to small cities like Edinburgh and Aberdeen! Would be massively appreciated :)
    Rental market is really up and down in London at the moment. Rental on my place has probably gone down by around 20% and that’s not unique to my area. But it can still be a tricky market. In the peak of lock down my neighbour had 16 people offer to rent on his place, so you can make a lot of offers and not necessarily secure the place just because of the competition. Having a good renters profile can often give you a strong advantage.

Feel free to PM me or ping me on Basecamp.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Anyone else find it a bit draining when every single post on your LinkedIn feed is a lengthy “I’m so happy to announce I’ve got on ... vac scheme/TC”. Obvs happy their successes but draining for those of us getting rejections 😅
    Try not to think too much about this - LinkedIn is basically a (semi-)professional Instagram where people put up a highlight reel of their best bits. Take it with a pinch of salt, in the same way you would an Instagram feed where someone's life seems "perfect" but we all know it's very superficial :)

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Currently applying for Womble Bond Dickinson and instead of a work experience section they call it 'life experience' - and gives you options to put all sorts in. Don't think it had a grade breakdown either! Also just one quite nice question - 28th Feb deadline :)
    They actually do ask for a grade breakdown - once you fill in your degree info, a box turns up and they ask for modules and grades in those modules

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    They actually do ask for a grade breakdown - once you fill in your degree info, a box turns up and they ask for modules and grades in those modules
    table flip GIF

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    like on the one hand i think that they are just sending the invites out in batches, like a few per day cause I haven't actually seen more than like 5 to 6 people getting any, you know... and like they would have sent out pfos by now if they were done with reviewing the apps and all but they haven't .... but on the other hand i'm like yeah rip
    I can't say I'm feeling too positive... Sometimes law firms do all the emailing to people who are successful and leave the PFOs right until the end cos it's last on their priority list... Here's to hoping I'm wrong and they are indeed sending out in batches 🍀

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Yeah always conflicted on this - as LinkedIn obviously shows when someone’s achieved something but will very rarely show the amount of rejection or years taken to get there. Always happy for connections when they’ve got somewhere, especially when you know the work they’ve put in behind the scenes, but it can be hard when you’re feeling low to see everyone’s success if you don’t think you’re currently having much luck. Fingers crossed for you!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.