2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Also - completely off the beaten track of normal discussion, apologies - if anyone who uses this forum has a bit of knowledge/ experience on the London rental market, I'd massively appreciate if you wouldn't mind sliding into my DMs so I can pick your brains for a few minutes!

Moving down in a few months but it's a bit of a minefield when you're used to small cities like Edinburgh and Aberdeen! Would be massively appreciated :)
It depends what are you looking for and which area because my friend sometimes a mortgage is less than rent. If you have a deposit and know what you want..my mortgage is £600 for one bedroom flat and my rent for one room was £750.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

ar2r

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
if anyone is currently a student in London, how much do you spend a month on living expenses? is the £8000-£10000 that firms offer enough for GDL + LPC?
Hey! I'm doing an undergrad in London. My rent is expensive (£170 per week but I am very central) but then i can do a shop at Lidl for £30! When i was going out etc i spent a bit more per week but probably around £50 including drinks out. So, I'd say that the grant will probably cover your rent, but i'm not sure how much of your living expenses it would cover depending on how much you spend week-to-week essentially! Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: tk166

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    What would you guys say are BCLP's top competitors? I was thinking like Baker McKenzie and like Addleshaw Goddard because they all seem to do well in real estate (particularly corporate) and they are all quite big on their international presence but I'm not sure if I'm even going about this right?

xht

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    I can't say I'm feeling too positive... Sometimes law firms do all the emailing to people who are successful and leave the PFOs right until the end cos it's last on their priority list... Here's to hoping I'm wrong and they are indeed sending out in batches 🍀
    Yeah, I get that, but tbh most law firms do send out stuff in batches so a bit of optimism doesnt seem to far fetched (especially since not many seem to have actually gotten back to)!!!!!

Reactions: layk

Grace_winter9

Oct 21, 2020
    if anyone is currently a student in London, how much do you spend a month on living expenses? is the £8000-£10000 that firms offer enough for GDL + LPC?
    As a student in London I currently spend £800 a month on rent and that’s pretty average when sharing accommodation with friends in London depending on the area it can definitely be a lot more and maybe a little less (depends on your budget), £95 a month for zone 1+2 student travel card, normal expenses for food etc, hope this helps :)

Reactions: cmaj and tk166

LegalLily

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021

Just living off 10k grant would be very tight. In lockdown rent prices have definitely tumbled. But I have found average rent for flat share in London Zone 2 is £750-850 and a lot of the times that is not including bills. Then if you add in bills, council tax, frequent tube travel , groceries. I personally don’t think 10k would be enough to be comfortable.

Then assuming you want a social life too..very tight indeed. I would recommend saving up a few grand to supplement.

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Hey guys - If I used to date someone who works at a firm that I'm applying to for a TC, do I need to disclose this in the question where they ask if I have any links with the firm? They're an NQ if that matters at all.

I told myself I'd never apply to the said firm but it's a great one that I'd love to do a TC at and I've been rejected by most others at this point (or maybe I was just too lonely this valentines lol)

Grace_winter9

Oct 21, 2020
    Just living off 10k grant would be very tight. In lockdown rent prices have definitely tumbled. But I have found average rent for flat share in London Zone 2 is £750-850 and a lot of the times that is not including bills. Then if you add in bills, council tax, frequent tube travel , groceries. I personally don’t think 10k would be enough to be comfortable.

Then assuming you want a social life too..very tight indeed. I would recommend saving up a few grand to supplement.
    Students don’t have to pay council tax though right? I’m assuming this still applies for GDL/LPC

Reactions: LegalLily and Sam55
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.