2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

littup

Standard Member
Feb 17, 2021
Just received this from pinsent masons. I haven't done any tests or AC...
What do I do I'm v confused

Thank you for submitting an application for a Vacation Placement and participating in the subsequent assessment centre. We have now spent a considerable amount of time reviewing all the candidates and their skills and qualifications.

Whilst you have not made our initial shortlist, we were very impressed by your application and would like to hold you as a reserve in the event that a placement becomes available. If, for any reason, your circumstances change and you are no longer able to take up a placement this summer, please let us know.
I got this too! I haven't heard anything back yet so I'm assuming PFO.

Lilz

Esteemed Member
Dec 16, 2020
Didn't apply there but always intrigued why people ask stuff like this? What does it change lol
I think because if people have had heard back receiving offers, it might be easy to assume you have a PFO.

Besides, it’s also just interesting to find out whether they have started the ‘review’ process.

littup

Standard Member
Feb 17, 2021
Didn't apply there but always intrigued why people ask stuff like this? What does it change lol
They said they would get back to everyone before the end of February and I've been nervous all day and wondering if anyone else has heard.

It's my first cycle, my first AC, and my first couple of times posting on the forum, but thanks to you my last. 👍

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    They said they would get back to everyone before the end of February and I've been nervous all day and wondering if anyone else has heard.

It's my first cycle, my first AC, and my first couple of times posting on the forum, but thanks to you my last. 👍
    Don't let this put you off posting. I hope you hear back soon, it can be a horrendous process and this forum is overwhelmingly generally very supportive. Try to take your mind off it this weekend (easier said than done!) and do something you enjoy :)

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Christ, just don't assume anything until you get that email/call. No-one knows what's going on inside GRs' heads. Think its unhealthy to try and second guess anything based off the experiences of others.

Besides, if anyone had heard, I'm sure they'd post in here
    It is easy to assume unfortunately, not that it is necessarily correct to do so.

I can see where you are coming from, but I think many people may be more inclined to reply to someone’s question asking if they had heard back from X firm, rather than posting “I have heard back off X firm” out the blue.

I don’t think it’s that deep anyway. I think sometimes we can be nosey sometimes and want to see if people have heard back or not, because if so, we may find out soon ☺️.

• 🤝
    Reactions: RS134, YJ, OB and 4 others

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Eek, don't be like that :( I am sure the person asking didn't have any malicious intent and was just curious about why you were asking and trying to reassure you that GR will tell you in time - don't freak yourself out. You are doing great x

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    On another note.. how do people demonstrate their commitment to commercial law without any legal experience? I have a lot of experience in hospitality, retail, admin at city firms, but I have no legal experience- not even any posts in the law society or anything. I think this is what is letting my application down. I know why I want to do law but I find it unconvincing because I don’t have evidence to say ‘I would like it because I’ve experienced it and I enjoyed this aspect of it’. Even though I try to relate it a lot to transferable skills, I still think my application is lacking. Unfortunately though getting legal experience is truly hard
    Hiya!

There are a number of great events and online programs that you can participate in which show an interest in commercial law. Inside Sherpa is a great website for this as they host a number of virtual internships for a number of firms.

In addition to this, virtual open days, online webinars and even conversations with people via LinkedIn are also great ways to demonstrate an interest in a career in commercial law.

Last edited:

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    hey guys so I'm completing the WBD app and in the work exp section is says this:
    "Please describe how your experience in this role matches the job you are applying for. Think about how the experience you've gained would help you be successful in performing your duties."

do I have to do something different to normal work exp sections?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.