Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Just how many times should one keep applying to MC firms before giving up? :(
Your time will come, I am sure. It's a question of dusting yourself down, picking yourself up and moving forward. I know its hard. Believe me, I think everyone on this forum understands. BUT, you can't give up if it is what you really want. Your perseverance and tenacity will pay off eventually and you must believe that if you are to succeed. Take stock, think about your applications, feedback from ACs and when you are ready get rolling again as I have no doubt that determination is part of this long battle.
Keep positive and don't get too down. It's not worth it.

• 🤝
  • ℹ️
Reactions: SB, CF, Jai C. and 3 others

SB

Jan 10, 2019
Your time will come, I am sure. It's a question of dusting yourself down, picking yourself up and moving forward. I know its hard. Believe me, I think everyone on this forum understands. BUT, you can't give up if it is what you really want. Your perseverance and tenacity will pay off eventually and you must believe that if you are to succeed. Take stock, think about your applications, feedback from ACs and when you are ready get rolling again as I have no doubt that determination is part of this long battle.
Keep positive and don't get too down. It's not worth it.

Thank you, Helena. You are very kind. I understand what you are saying. But is it really worth applying a third time to the same firm? I have a hard time giving up on my goals, which is why I am so upset. Unfortunately, I pass all tests but the ACs always elude me!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you, Helena. You are very kind. I understand what you are saying. But is it really worth applying a third time to the same firm? I have a hard time giving up on my goals, which is why I am so upset. Unfortunately, I pass all tests but the ACs always elude me!
I know exactly how you feel as I am the same - get to the AC and then can't get over that last hurdle. Are you set on one particular firm? Have you thought what it is exactly about a firm that you are so attracted to? Is it that firm over all others? I am sure you have delved into this - but maybe try to analyse it further. For instance are you convinced it is the right firm for you? Can you see yourself there and only there? If you are certain of all these things then there is no reason why you should not apply again. Have you had the feedback - how different was it this time? Is there a common denominator or is it different every time in terms of strengths and weaknesses. I honestly believe there is a bit of luck involved too, once you have got to the AC stage. If you click with a partner or they see you as the right fit for their firm, then you are well on the way. Conversely, you could do absolutely everything right at an AC but if they can't see you as part of the team, then that's it. I am on my second cycle and I believe that fate plays a part here.

Reactions: SB

SB

Jan 10, 2019
I know exactly how you feel as I am the same - get to the AC and then can't get over that last hurdle. Are you set on one particular firm? Have you thought what it is exactly about a firm that you are so attracted to? Is it that firm over all others? I am sure you have delved into this - but maybe try to analyse it further. For instance are you convinced it is the right firm for you? Can you see yourself there and only there? If you are certain of all these things then there is no reason why you should not apply again. Have you had the feedback - how different was it this time? Is there a common denominator or is it different every time in terms of strengths and weaknesses. I honestly believe there is a bit of luck involved too, once you have got to the AC stage. If you click with a partner or they see you as the right fit for their firm, then you are well on the way. Conversely, you could do absolutely everything right at an AC but if they can't see you as part of the team, then that's it. I am on my second cycle and I believe that fate plays a part here.

I apologise, what I meant was I can't get to the AC! I am a graduate with some work experience, so I am wondering if I apply another time what I can make better on my applications? Thank you for your encouragement. :) I truly wish you get the TC for your dream firm soon!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I apologise, what I meant was I can't get to the AC! I am a graduate with some work experience, so I am wondering if I apply another time what I can make better on my applications? Thank you for your encouragement. :) I truly wish you get the TC for your dream firm soon!
Sorry my fault! It is worth using the TCLA application review for certain as there is a wealth of good advice to be gained from people like Jaysen and others on the forum. Are you a law graduate? There is a knack to applications, but really any work experience you have is valid as long as you can show the skills you have gained and what is required for a trainee. Always look at the words and adjectives firms use on their websites to ascertain exactly what they are looking for in a trainee and make sure you address these in your application. Try to go to as many networking events or insight evenings as you can to glean more for your application and understand more about a firm. Another thing you could do is visit the commercial courts and watch some live cases. As an aspiring trainee, there may be an opportunity to ask lawyers about a case.

Reactions: SB

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
But is it really worth applying a third time to the same firm? I have a hard time giving up on my goals, which is why I am so upset. Unfortunately, I pass all tests but the ACs always elude me!

What do you have to lose if you submit a third application to the same firm?

Perhaps you should ask yourself if it is worth it setting your heart on only one firm, or even one type of firm. You may have met a friendly trainee or graduate recruiter from that firm, or you really like the type of work that firm offers, but the truth is you can find friendly colleagues and high-quality work at a lot of other places. On top of that, as I'm sure you know by now from reading the success stories in this forum, getting rejected by one law firm does not mean you are not good enough to become a lawyer. Unfortunately, applying to law firms is not the same as applying to universities. You get an offer if you hit the grades and have a well-written personal statement - it doesn't work like that. There are so many factors that can affect your chances of passing the application stage. Some of them are not within your control. Of course, it's important to try and improve your applications to the best of your ability. However, you just need to accept that there's a 50% chance that you may fail. After a rejection, I usually think about what can be improved and move on quickly to the next application/AC. It is not worth it wasting time feeling sorry for yourself while there might be a firm out there who can see your potential. You just need to find them.

Selina

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Those of you working full time, how are you juggling the interview process/ACs with work?? I just had a disastrous phone interview with Mayer Brown - partly because I've had so many late nights in the office this week so my preparation probably wasn't good enough, but I can't just not show up for work...
Just had a bit of a meltdown and now have to go back to the office :(

I agree with everyone's responses to this so far. First of all, don't worry - you're not the only one! For me, commuting in and out of London every day means that I get home pretty late and am exhausted when I do. I've dedicated my weekends instead to applications - although I can't send off as many as I would like, there also isn't much that I can change without compromising my physical and mental health. It does also mean a rather sparse social life but I'd prefer that over sleep deprivation! As for interviews/ACs, I would say that it's worth having a chat with HR or your direct supervisor to let them know about your situation. May I ask where you work? If it's law-related or a temporary position then they'll probably understand!

At the end of the day, we're all human and we can only try the best we can. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad interview experience or the odd unmotivated day where you feel like you can't get anything done. You've done well to get this far in the process so keep your head up and keep going! :)

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Salma, Eva, Naomi and 4 others

Dolores

Standard Member
Nov 11, 2018
Rejection from A&O yesterday.

My “thank u, next” stance on it that I am grateful for being pressured by the early deadline to:

- develop further a “goal I worked towards” response
- learn about legal technology
- craft an ok “change in the legal sector” piece I can use as a foundation for other applications
- learn that for applications less is more (I’m still perflexed why I thought it would a good idea to start and finish an application on NYE)

Last edited:

Eva

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Mar 24, 2018
I agree with all everyone's responses to this so far. First of all, don't worry - you're not the only one! For me, commuting in and out of London every day means that I get home pretty late and am exhausted when I do. I've dedicated my weekends instead on applications - although I can't send off as many as I would like, there also isn't much that I can change without compromising my physical and mental health. It does also mean a rather sparse social life but I'd prefer that over sleep deprivation! As for interviews/ACs, I would say that it's worth having a chat with HR or your direct supervisor to let them know about your situation. May I ask where you work? If it's law-related or a temporary position then they'll probably understand!

At the end of the day, we're all human and we can only try the best we can. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad interview experience or the odd unmotivated day where you feel like you can't get anything done. You've done well to get this far in the process so keep your head up and keep going! :)

I'm definitely drawing inspirations from your words to stay motivated and keep pushing, @Selina, after two rejections in a row.

• 🤝
Reactions: Selina and Helena

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
I agree with all everyone's responses to this so far. First of all, don't worry - you're not the only one! For me, commuting in and out of London every day means that I get home pretty late and am exhausted when I do. I've dedicated my weekends instead on applications - although I can't send off as many as I would like, there also isn't much that I can change without compromising my physical and mental health. It does also mean a rather sparse social life but I'd prefer that over sleep deprivation! As for interviews/ACs, I would say that it's worth having a chat with HR or your direct supervisor to let them know about your situation. May I ask where you work? If it's law-related or a temporary position then they'll probably understand!

To answer your question about where I work, sadly it's not law related as I did a non-law degree. I'm currently working for a wealth management company and they have no idea I want to leave haha! HR aren't the best and my team is pretty small so I need to give quite a bit of notice before taking a day off. I don't know if asking grad rec for a later interview in future would be detrimental to my app though...

And same on the almost non-existent social life! Thankfully it's only for a period.

Reactions: Selina

wakandaaaaaa

Jan 12, 2019
Slaughters - AC
A&O - AC
HSF - 'under review'

Ashurst - PFO
Links - no reply since WG a month ago, presumably a silent PFO
FF - not even sent a link to WG, presumably a silent PFO

much prefer it when firms take 30s to send a 'thank you for your interest' email rather than a silent PFO, but that's just my 2c

Reactions: SB, Roch1234 and datguyak

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Slaughters - AC
A&O - AC
HSF - 'under review'

Ashurst - PFO

much prefer it when firms take 30s to send a 'thank you for your interest' email rather than a silent PFO, but that's just my 2c

Are PFOs actually real?? Surely they have to respond at some point.
Though I'm still waiting to hear back from a few places so it could be that...

wakandaaaaaa

Jan 12, 2019
Are PFOs actually real?? Surely they have to respond at some point.
Though I'm still waiting to hear back from a few places so it could be that...

It's not good practice but it does happen, in the sense that they will send a bulk rejection email maybe 2-3 months later instead of immediately sending you a rejection email once your app is binned. See the recent CC debacle.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Slaughters - AC
    A&O - AC
    HSF - 'under review'

Ashurst - PFO

Also still waiting on Freshfields but surely since they aren't rolling and only closed on 4th Jan or whatever that they're just sorting through apps and will get back to us soon?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.