Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I don't know how widespread this is, but I remember Latham's Winter scheme is only open to Law/GDL/LPC students/graduates
Ah yes I see what you mean now. I thought @ELA meant that certain firms had no scheme for non-law, but yes there are specific deadlines for certain categories. For example Freshfields window in early June-end July is only open to Law and GDL graduates.

Reactions: Alice G

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about next application cycle and wonder if people with more experience of applying have thoughts on this:

Where firms offer Winter, Spring and Summer vacation schemes, and all schemes offer a TC interview at the end (and assuming I am eligible to either of them), what factors should I take into consideration when deciding which scheme to apply to? Are there any strategic considerations?

As a side question, if a scheme is open to Law/GDL/LPC student only (vs. everyone), would you say these are likely to be 'less' competitive? (I know it is always highly competitive of course).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Consider:
-whether applying for a winter scheme will prevent you from applying for spring or summer. And if applying for any scheme at all prevents you from applying for a direct TC. Each firm operates these rules differently.
- roll recruitment or not. Winter deadlines are sooner so you hear back sooner. you’re not kept on the hook for longer.
-non law schemes/interview days, there will generally (in my experience/knowledge) be understanding around gaps in knowledge for assessments or case studies
- depends on your background. You make chose to apply for direct TCs where you have applications already complete from the last cycle and you feel there’s limited value in doing a scheme and the firm take a good proportion of direct TCs.

Like you say they’re competing regardless. But from talking to people, firms will be mindful of how many TC places they already allocated direct/through schemes. So it’s better to get in first either through a winter scheme or direct TC app, particularly through rolling recruitment.

• 🏆
Reactions: ELA, Helena and Jaysen

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
Ah yes I see what you mean now. I thought @ELA meant that certain firms had no scheme for non-law, but yes there are specific deadlines for certain categories. For example Freshfields window in early June-end July is only open to Law and GDL graduates.
Yes, sorry.

Really my question was, what are people's thoughts in terms of deciding whether to apply for a winter, spring or summer scheme when a firm offers all three?

Reactions: wwood and Helena

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
Consider:
-whether applying for a winter scheme will prevent you from applying for spring or summer. And if applying for any scheme at all prevents you from applying for a direct TC. Each firm operates these rules differently.
- roll recruitment or not. Winter deadlines are sooner so you hear back sooner. you’re not kept on the hook for longer.
-non law schemes/interview days, there will generally (in my experience/knowledge) be understanding around gaps in knowledge for assessments or case studies
- depends on your background. You make chose to apply for direct TCs where you have applications already complete from the last cycle and you feel there’s limited value in doing a scheme and the firm take a good proportion of direct TCs.

Like you say they’re competing regardless. But from talking to people, firms will be mindful of how many TC places they already allocated direct/through schemes. So it’s better to get in first either through a winter scheme or direct TC app, particularly through rolling recruitment.
Thank you! Really helpful :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you! Really helpful :)
Latham’s winter scheme is the last in their cycle. They take people on a rolling basis through schemes so they might have fewer spaces by winter. Hope this helps clear things up :) I would always advise to apply for the earlier schemes if they work for you and if you feel ready :)

Reactions: S30

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
Latham’s winter scheme is the last in their cycle. They take people on a rolling basis through schemes so they might have fewer spaces by winter. Hope this helps clear things up :) I would always advise to apply for the earlier schemes if they work for you and if you feel ready :)
Very useful info, thank you!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Very useful info, thank you!
No worries! I ought to say also when it comes to conflicting schemes, say when you’ve applied to a few for spring and you would like to switch to summer if the dates don’t work for a couple of them, firms are generally understanding of this as well in my personal experience and from what I have heard from others as well :) don’t hesitate to message or anything if you would like a bit more advice :)

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
No worries! I ought to say also when it comes to conflicting schemes, say when you’ve applied to a few for spring and you would like to switch to summer if the dates don’t work for a couple of them, firms are generally understanding of this as well in my personal experience and from what I have heard from others as well :) don’t hesitate to message or anything if you would like a bit more advice :)
Ah yes, that's good to bear in mind! Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.