TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anon 11031

For my GDL module results (distinction overall), I have 6 distinctions, 2 commendations and one 55% result (😥) - does anyone know if the 55% result means I shouldn't bother applying to bigger firms for TCs?
I doubt 1 result is going to impact their decision if you've gotten a distinction overall, I wouldn't let it worry you too much!

Also, those are some great results - congratulations! ☺️

law89

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Yes, I would definitely say it is doable within a week! This is because these research papers, I would consider, to be a lot easier than your typical LLB essays. Also because there is a lot of instructions on what you should write in your chosen title. The instructions literally give you the bullet points of what your paper should include therefore your research is easily found because you know exactly what you're looking for! If you want me to send you all the titles from 2021 LLM PPRR, feel free to DM me!

To answer your second question, the elective exams are technically 3 hours long. However, as we have been doing the exams online they give you a 4 hour window to complete and submit it, in case of any technical difficulties. So many of us students do use the whole 4 hours to take the exam because this is permissible.

Hope this helps!
I am doing the GDL at ULaw atm and they are 3 hour exams but if taken online as opposed to in person you get 4 hours in total before it closes. Mainly as there are delays when accessing it (as everyone is trying to download the paper at the same time) and the same again when uploading at the end. The extra time is to cover any delays like that or IT issues. Technically it would mean that you do have 4 hours in total with the paper
Thank you both! :) I have the titles already @karinny but thank you for the offer anyway!

Reactions: karinny

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker / anyone who can help,

I am just writing a cover letter for a firm, is it best to address the letter to the head of recruitment or recruitment manager for the office that I am applying to?

The online application doesn't specify who the application will be sent to, so I have no idea who will review this. I'm a bit sceptical in addressing the letter to "Sir or Madam".
Check lawcareers.net for who to send it to - they often have the names of people it should be addressed to. Otherwise the recruitment manager responsible for recruiting that role/office will be fine too.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I have a question on training contract etiquette, which I hope is appropriate to ask here. I've been offered a TC at one firm and I accepted immediately because I know it's the firm I want to work at and have my heart set on. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of a different VS I completed for a different firm which I liked slightly less.

Would it be better to email the second firm to tell them that I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, so they can immediately offer my potential spot to someone else, or is it better to wait to hear whether I've been accepted anyway?
    This is what I did. When I knew that the second firm wasn't the one I wanted, I first of all formally accepted and received confirmation of my acceptance for offer A, then I arranged a call with grad rec at firm B to withdraw from the exit interview process to prevent me possibly being made someone else's offer who really needed it more.

Reactions: erose98

sberry1992

Apr 6, 2020
    Hi guys, I have been trying for a training contract for a few years now. I have a final round interview with a firm on Friday and I am usually fairly calm but I think it is starting to dawn on me how important it is for me to nail it. I guess I am just looking for any advice for how to stay calm other than to prepare well. I think I will be alright on the day but I am starting to feel the pressure and was looking for any tips for remaining calm over the next few days.

A

Anon 11031

Hi guys, I have been trying for a training contract for a few years now. I have a final round interview with a firm on Friday and I am usually fairly calm but I think it is starting to dawn on me how important it is for me to nail it. I guess I am just looking for any advice for how to stay calm other than to prepare well. I think I will be alright on the day but I am starting to feel the pressure and was looking for any tips for remaining calm over the next few days.
    Hey!

I'll preface this advice by saying that I am one of the most anxious individuals in the world and genuinely struggle to not have anxiety attacks in the lead up to interviews - which has been a major obstacle for me. Hopefully, the advice/strategies I gave to myself will help you out.

Prepare, but only to a point
    So the first thing to do, as you noted, is to prepare. However, it's probably worth checking that you aren't overpreparing material that you just wont remember as I feel this can just end up being counterproductive to your own stress levels. Think about your motivations, do some firm research, have competencies prepped but other than that try to be yourself and let your personality come through.

Also, try and stop preparations the night before the interview and give yourself some time to decompress. Drink a glass of wine, watch TV, whatever makes you feel calm...this will help you wind down and consolidate the information you've retained better.

Try not to see this as 'make or break'
    This may sound bizarre, but I've often found that my most successful interviews were the ones I went into thinking "it doesn't matter if I fail, at least I will have had a nice chat for an hour". Go in and do your best, but don't tell yourself that your chances are over if you don't succeed as this is likely to exacerbate nerves and reduce your ability to perform well. Keep reminding yourself of this throughout the week!

Take back some of the control
    It's worth reminding yourself before an interview that they want you and they're taking the time to interview you because they genuinely see the possibility of you getting a TC.

As cliché as it may sound, you are interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. Before interviews I find it helpful to have this mindset as it helps me approach an interview with more confidence and control. Think about WHY you want to work for them, and what questions you might want to ask about what they can offer you? For example, for me it was really important to start my career with a firm that cared about D&I so I went in knowing I wanted to firmly understand their position to see if we were a good match!

I know this might all be a bit generic, but I hope it helps. And it goes without saying, believe in yourself - because we all believe in you!

☺️

Last edited by a moderator:

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Unfortunately, I am not one to issue advice on these sorts of things as I have (to my detriment) let my nerves get the better of me with many final round TC ACs and interviews. I do agree with @lawnoodle that it is best to relax at least the night before the interview. Having a good night's sleep and a clear head are immense advantages.

I wish you all the best - we're rooting for you - and whatever happens you should be proud to have got so far!

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Congrats on the final interview! I totally agree with @lawnoodle

I completely understand the pressure, but try to just enjoy the interview if you can. Think of it as a conversation to show your personality and get to know the firm better.

Try not to stress about preparation (easier said than done!). Presumably you have had earlier rounds of assessment and interview, so you already know the firm well. Read through your notes a couple of times and practice the key questions (why law/why the firm/why you). Then just try to stay busy and calm until Friday!

If you feel comfortable sharing the firm, you may find people who have previously done the interview and can share general tips.

I always use the This Works Stress Check rollerball on my wrists a few minutes before the interview to have a calming smell in the room. Best of luck!

sberry1992

Apr 6, 2020
    I can't thank you guys enough for the kind words. I think you're all spot on about seeing it, as far as possible, as a two-way conversation. I will read through my competency grid today and rehearse my presentation but other than that will take care of myself and try to be as relaxed on the day as possible. I suppose we are all in the same boat and it's comforting to know you guys have got through with nerves jangling as well.

Thank you all so much and I'll report back how it goes on Friday!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Im delighted to announce that after my first round of applications, I have received a TC offer today! Need to now think about what to do - masters or TC ahahha
    Congratulations! Can you not do both and just defer for a year? (Although that might then mean doing the SQE if the firm hasn’t moved to it already for your current intake offer?).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Celestie

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Huge congratulations! 🎉
    Congratulations!
    Congratulations! Can you not do both and just defer for a year? (Although that might then mean doing the SQE if the firm hasn’t moved to it already for your current intake offer?).
    So pleased for you!!!

Can you defer? Imagine how lovely and relaxing a master’s would be when you’ve got the job lined up!
    Thank you so so much guys. I have let them know and sent them over the details and hopefully they will be able to defer - if they do, i will die a happy person :)

Cant believe I got an offer though - didn't even know what a TC was a year and a half ago!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.