TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Im delighted to announce that after my first round of applications, I have received a TC offer today! Need to now think about what to do - masters or TC ahahha

So delighted for you @Celestie, really well done.

I was in the same position and chose to do a master's - I'm so glad I did. I had to push back a bit with my firm to be able to go ahead with it before starting, but I think it's always worth trying if you want to do one. You should also be in a good position given you have the offer already.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    When I rang ULaw regarding start dates, they said they usually confirm closer to the time but it's likely to be mid/end of September rather than the start ☺️
    Would add on that the final GDL exams are up till September 10th. I imagine they'll give GDL students a week between their final exams and LPC. So I'd be surprised if it started any time before the 20th.

Reactions: W and Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

It may be different for campus versions but I was given the 20th Sept as the first day of induction week for the online LPC at ULaw
    Can I just ask, what made you choose the online version or did you have no choice?

I've been really struggling with this because one part of me wants to go in, in person, and the other part is still very skeptical about trusting other people to socially distance, wear masks etc?

• 🤝
    Reactions: S87

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Can I just ask, what made you choose the online version or did you have no choice?

I've been really struggling with this because one part of me wants to go in, in person, and the other part is still very skeptical about trusting other people to socially distance, wear masks etc?
    I'm a current GDL student at Moorgate and I'm doing the course online instead of in person, even though we were given the choice. I go into the library each week and I can tell now that people have stopped wearing face masks, whereas before you'd have security checking the floor each hour to make sure people were wearing masks. It is mandatory to wear them in the actual in-person classes, as the classrooms aren't very big (though still socially-distanced). ULaw has been really flexible on people switching from online to in-person and vice versa so if you'd rather get a feel for one or the other first (perhaps wait until you're double vaxxed, if you choose to), then you can always change your mind later.

A

Anon 11031

I'm a current GDL student at Moorgate and I'm doing the course online instead of in person, even though we were given the choice. I go into the library each week and I can tell now that people have stopped wearing face masks, whereas before you'd have security checking the floor each hour to make sure people were wearing masks. It is mandatory to wear them in the actual in-person classes, as the classrooms aren't very big (though still socially-distanced). ULaw has been really flexible on people switching from online to in-person and vice versa so if you'd rather get a feel for one or the other first (perhaps wait until you're double vaxxed, if you choose to), then you can always change your mind later.
    Thank you, this is super informative!

I actually am double vaccinated but me and the person I live with are still very anxious about the COVID situation. I'm going to try and assess what it's like within the first 1-2 weeks and switch to online delivery, if I don't feel comfortable. ☺️

Reactions: TC fiend

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Reading about the GDL and thinking about having to do in-person exams, which I haven't done since 2019...
    Nervous Episode 1 GIF by The Office

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021

No choice for me really as I work full-time so am on the online GDL atm and will start LPC in Sept. The nearest campus is over an hour drive each way so just not feasible to attend in person.

Being more skills based I would prefer to attend in person workshops but I am trusting that ULaw have been offering the online LPC long before the covid situation so it should work well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I can’t quite believe I’m actually writing this, but I’ve been offered a Training Contract at Muckle LLP to start in 2023😭😭😭😭

Over the moon doesn’t quite explain how I’m feeling right now! But I wanted to thank everyone’s support on here and all the help I have received along the way!
    Congratulations! Time to celebrate 🎉

Season 3 Dancing GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jordon

Maham

Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2021
    Hi thanks for coming back to me! Same, I’m starting to worry too because I was told I’d hear back by the Monday just gone. Did they give you the same timeframe? And how did you find the interview?
    I was told I would hear back by the end of this week. They said they would aim for sooner than that, but weren't sure.
    I found it hard to be honest. I felt that there wasn't much transparency around the process and the nature of the interview and I didn't expect it to be as intense as it was. How did you find it?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I can’t quite believe I’m actually writing this, but I’ve been offered a Training Contract at Muckle LLP to start in 2023😭😭😭😭

Over the moon doesn’t quite explain how I’m feeling right now! But I wanted to thank everyone’s support on here and all the help I have received along the way!
    Brilliant news, well done!

• 🤝
    Reactions: djqb and Jordon

erose98

Standard Member
    Feb 6, 2021
    No choice for me really as I work full-time so am on the online GDL atm and will start LPC in Sept. The nearest campus is over an hour drive each way so just not feasible to attend in person.
    Hi - I have a quick question as I'm debating doing the GDL online this September. I read on the Ulaw website that the online course is 51 weeks as opposed to 39. Does this give enough turn around to complete the GDL in the September then start the LPC in the same September? Thanks!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi - I have a quick question as I'm debating doing the GDL online this September. I read on the Ulaw website that the online course is 51 weeks as opposed to 39. Does this give enough turn around to complete the GDL in the September then start the LPC in the same September? Thanks!
    I think the 51 weeks one includes breaks and reading weeks, which you don't get on the condensed course. So should give you enough time. At any rate, they'll always try to schedule the start of the LPC to accommodate students moving from the GDL.

Reactions: erose98
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.