TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
I was told I would hear back by the end of this week. They said they would aim for sooner than that, but weren't sure.
I found it hard to be honest. I felt that there wasn't much transparency around the process and the nature of the interview and I didn't expect it to be as intense as it was. How did you find it?
Ah fair enough, I’ll give it some more time then. Yeah i was quite surprised when I got the interview invite but in my interview they said it’s to make sure more people on the scheme are capable of securing a vac scheme so I think it makes sense. It definitely was an intense interview too but I’m sure we did well!

Reactions: Maham

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
I think the 51 weeks one includes breaks and reading weeks, which you don't get on the condensed course. So should give you enough time. At any rate, they'll always try to schedule the start of the LPC to accommodate students moving from the GDL.
I am on the online GDL atm and the final exam is the 10th Sept with LPC induction week starting on the 20th. If you want to start the LPC straight away you have to sign a form saying that you are happy to start before you receive your results but will be immediately removed if you receive a fail mark. You can then resit any failed exams in Nov and have to pass before you can join the next LPC intake in Jan.

Reactions: erose98
A

Anon 11031

I am on the online GDL atm and the final exam is the 10th Sept with LPC induction week starting on the 20th. If you want to start the LPC straight away you have to sign a form saying that you are happy to start before you receive your results but will be immediately removed if you receive a fail mark. You can then resit any failed exams in Nov and have to pass before you can join the next LPC intake in Jan.
This seems like STRESS. I thought it was bad enough that I'm doing my last undergrad exam in August but this is on another level of intense!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Also to add that there is one holiday week at Xmas and 2 at Easter. Other than that there are 2 revision weeks before each set of exams so 6 in total for the year.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    So delighted for you @Celestie, really well done.

I was in the same position and chose to do a master's - I'm so glad I did. I had to push back a bit with my firm to be able to go ahead with it before starting, but I think it's always worth trying if you want to do one. You should also be in a good position given you have the offer already.
    Thank you so much - honestly.

I hope so - they seem open to it and will get back to me. Will be so torn if I have to make a decision :/

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey Asil, are you sure about this? I just checked their website and it still appears to say TBC with an aim to open August. I could have missed an update though so feel free to point me to wherever it is!
    When you go to the application portal and job search the application is open and when you click on start application for direct TC application it says

Update: We are sorry to inform you but following the outcome of our summer vacation schemes, we will not be opening the application process for Training Contracts commencing in September 2023. We will welcome applications for our Winter 2021 and Summer 2022 Vacation Schemes from 1 October. Thank you for your interest in Travers Smith and we do hope you apply in the coming year.

That is what I saw.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jacob Miller and Daniel Boden

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    After doing my first vac scheme last month, I just found out today that I have been put on a waitlist for TC...I was told that everyone he firm offered a TC to has accepted their offer, so unless someone decided to drop out later I basically have no chance :( I am honestly feeling quite defeated...

Thinking ahead about the next application cycle, I wonder how should I talk about my vac scheme on application form/ in interview?
    @Jessica Booker is it worth mentioning that I have been waitlisted? Will it look bad on me if a firm knows that I have a vac scheme that didn't convert?

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    After doing my first vac scheme last month, I just found out today that I have been put on a waitlist for TC...I was told that everyone he firm offered a TC to has accepted their offer, so unless someone decided to drop out later I basically have no chance :( I am honestly feeling quite defeated...

Thinking ahead about the next application cycle, I wonder how should I talk about my vac scheme on application form/ in interview?
    @Jessica Booker is it worth mentioning that I have been waitlisted? Will it look bad on me if a firm knows that I have a vac scheme that didn't convert?

Really sympathise with this – I know how frustrating it is to get close, put so much work into applications/vacation schemes, and not come away with the news you want.

I would also say though that you've done incredibly well to get the VS in the first place, and the fact you are in contention for the TC shows you clearly have what it takes to get a TC in the future. People do decline their TC places regularly and I wouldn't count yourself out yet. I hope you get good news in the coming weeks, but if not, I honestly think you can smash it the next cycle.

I'm not @Jesccia Booker, but I'm not sure its worth mentioning offers/AC's/waitlists in an interview as they usually assess competencies/motivations etc. In my experience interviewing in previous cycles I only mentioned these things if they asked me the outcomes of previous applications. If you wanted to you could add a short sentence in your work experience section entry for the VS you were waitlisted. I think what they'll be far more interested in is what you learnt from the VS and how you have reflected on your motivation for a career commercial law and the firm you are applying to.

Best of luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes - you can mention that you were on a waiting list.

No - it doesn't necessarily look bad if you didn't convert the vacation scheme. Firms know that not ever vac schemer can be offered a TC and if anything, getting the vac scheme in the first place will show you are a strong candidate.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Wait, does this apply to the LPC too? I haven't done an in-person exam since 2018 🤮
    For BPP we'll have the option to do online or in-person and they'll be open book. I had this confirmed by my firm's contact so don't stress too much guys haha (imagine ULaw will be the same but worth confirming with them obviously)

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I can’t quite believe I’m actually writing this, but I’ve been offered a Training Contract at Muckle LLP to start in 2023😭😭😭😭

Over the moon doesn’t quite explain how I’m feeling right now! But I wanted to thank everyone’s support on here and all the help I have received along the way!
    Huge congrats!!! Enjoy the celebrations :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021

hi! i'm sorry to hear this, well done for landing the VS and getting so close.

i'm not experienced in this process at all but perhaps you can detail how you have improved upon addressing the VS feedback if other firms ask you in the future?

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    Yes - you can mention that you were on a waiting list.

No - it doesn't necessarily look bad if you didn't convert the vacation scheme. Firms know that not ever vac schemer can be offered a TC and if anything, getting the vac scheme in the first place will show you are a strong candidate.
    That's good to know - thanks @Jessica Booker !
    I got one more question - my vac scheme was more like a VVS and mainly comprised of training sessions and departmental exercises (e.g. NDA reviewing and lease drafting), and I didn't get to sit with a department. So I feel there's not a lot I can say about this vac scheme in my future application (not like a normal internship where you can say I have provided research support on X and Y for one department or helped to draft client email etc). Do you have any advice on how to approach this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.