2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
I've seen a lot of people say that competition for training contracts this year has been particular hard and competitive. Have you all found this to be true compared to previous years (this has been my first year applying)? And do you think it'll get even more competitive from now on?
I know one of the firms I interviewed with had significantly more applications than usual. They had 2,000+ for the VS when Lex 100 says they have 1,000/year. Not sure how many direct TC applications they had. The Lex numbers may also be inaccurate, but there have definitely been more applications than usual.

This may be because some firms have paused/altered their own recruitment. If this is the cause things should go back to normal post-Covid.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi folks,

Popping in again after a while, again ... got my first TC offer today. Been one heck of a ride.

See you guys on the other side! My inbox is always open.

Jon
Congratulations!

Dr Whoop GIF by UltraNyt

Reactions: Tushar

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I've seen a lot of people say that competition for training contracts this year has been particular hard and competitive. Have you all found this to be true compared to previous years (this has been my first year applying)? And do you think it'll get even more competitive from now on?
    This has definitely been a very very tough cycle for applicants - put it this way, I'm exceptionally relieved I wasn't competing in it this year.

I've spoken to a lot of people who have said it's been one of the worst cycles for applicants since the financial crisis.

Reactions: RB and Daniel Boden

JBL

May 11, 2021
    Sorry to be that guy asking if ‘anyone has heard’ but…

has anyone heard from Pinsent Masons? I had the AC on the 26th July and was told in the candidate briefing that we would hear by Tuesday 10th August but haven’t heard since.

refreshing my emails is getting unhealthy 😬but I guess the ‘don’t call us, we will call you’ approach applies?

• 🤝
    Reactions: karinny and deckoking123

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Anyone still waiting to hear from L&W post VI, I know some AC invites have gone out so expecting a PFO but was told I would hear within 2 weeks and it’s now over that time period…

hhph34

Feb 6, 2021
    did my Watson Glaser with Freshfields on 3 August and still haven't heard back on either a rejection/interview... who here has?

also has anyone heard from ashurst since? they sent an email saying it's taking way longer than normal.

white9

Standard Member
    Jul 29, 2021

has anyone heard from Pinsent Masons? I had the AC on the 26th July and was told in the candidate briefing that we would hear by Tuesday 10th August but haven’t heard since.

refreshing my emails is getting unhealthy 😬but I guess the ‘don’t call us, we will call you’ approach applies?
    Still waiting too, don't worry!

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021

On the VS they told us we’d hear by the 13th august!

Reactions: white9
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.