TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Is there a TCLA list of Winter VS deadlines, please?

Am aware there are others online but they are not always comprehensive (ie using Lex 100’s, I didn’t see that Dechert were offering a Winter one this year!!)

I think the Dechert Winter VS is only if you're willing to start at an earlier date (I think 2022), but not 100% sure!

Reactions: OB

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021

I think the Dechert Winter VS is only if you're willing to start at an earlier date (I think 2022), but not 100% sure!
    Thank you! Yes it is, so would have been perfect for me, but c’est la vie!

• 🤝
    Reactions: LEL

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I got a WG invite for Stephenson Harwood and it says I need Internet Explorer or Firefox - does this mean I shouldn't use Chrome or Safari?
    I'm pretty sure I used Chrome when I did their WG last year ... as I don't have IE or Firefox on my laptop. It may have changed though this year

• 🤝
    Reactions: corplaw0702
    Has anyone done an AC with Dechert? What can I expect and how is the written assessment?
    Hey, I did one last year!

It is actually quite fun. You have a starting meeting w grad rec and then a q&a with one trainee. This was actually quite intense and even though he reminded me to not take it too seriously, the questions were quite imploring. I am pretty sure this is an assessed part of the day, but do double check. For the Q&A, just ensure you have all your research of the firm down and also know your motivations etc. Also, have questions to ask obviously!

The second interview is with another Grad Rec member and an Associate. This is the commercial awareness quiz. I would say look over exchange rates, different business structures i.e. incorporation, LLP etc. Also, key commercial definitions and regulatory bodies. This is also the competency interview so make sure you have a nice array of examples to say.

Finally, the last interview is w a partner and an associate. The partner read the scenario of the case study to me and went from asking basic questions about the case study to more challenging ones. He changed the scenario and made it more complicated etc. You will be pushed but just use your common sense. If you have a truly sound understanding of businesses and transactions etc, you will be more than fine! I probably faltered there because my knowledge was a little superficial and I was way too nervous. The case study for me was a JV but not sure if they will change it again. Then, once we exhausted the case study, we moved onto motivations and questions about myself.

The written case study was quite straightforward. There was an email and I had to read through some legislation and a contract. The client wanted to know if they could do x y and z and there were also other issues etc. The case study on TCLA is really good practice for timing and reading. Just have a clear structure with an executive summary and headings etc.

Best of luck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.