TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
it was one of my part-time jobs that i did during uni holidays but i accidentally said I did it for 6 months longer than I did - but then again, not sure how to discuss part-time work on applications because I didn't work regularly so even if i put the correct date down i didn't actually work the entire period so not sure how major this is
How long did you actually work there (eg first shift to last shift)?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    If anybody is willing to offer advice of Stephenson Harwood's first HR interview, I would be very grateful !
    Know your CV inside out to the detail of your individual modules and why you did them/what you liked about them etc. It’s an interesting one but I found some good tips on TCLA when I did it last cycle :)

• Love
    Reactions: corplaw0702

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
    Oct 15, 2020
    Know your CV inside out to the detail of your individual modules and why you did them/what you liked about them etc. It’s an interesting one but I found some good tips on TCLA when I did it last cycle :)
    Thanks! I'm also slightly confused because on the website it says interview and case study so I assumed they would be together but I'm guessing the case study is the final stage?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thanks! I'm also slightly confused because on the website it says interview and case study so I assumed they would be together but I'm guessing the case study is the final stage?
    So if you pass the HR interview you’ll be sent a written case study to do by itself and then if you pass that then you’re on the vac scheme! :)

Reactions: corplaw0702

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ok - should you get through to interview stage, make them aware of the mistake before you are interviewed.

It is serious enough it needs to be picked up/flagged at an appropriate time, but I don’t think it is worthwhile doing this until you know whether your application is successful or not.

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    Ok - should you get through to interview stage, make them aware of the mistake before you are interviewed.

It is serious enough it needs to be picked up/flagged at an appropriate time, but I don’t think it is worthwhile doing this until you know whether your application is successful or not.
    Okay, thank you - i've been invited to interview so would it be a good idea to email them or just mention on the day?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    PFO from Willkie (first one of the cycle) applied yesterday so very quick turnaround, or they hated my app!😂
    Sorry to hear that but at least you know! I'd rather have a quick turnaround than being in limbo for days/weeks/months like other firms do.

Despite being a one-member team, I feel like Willkie has their whole recruitment process worked efficiently.

Reactions: AW_08, OB and bibss

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Sorry to hear that but at least you know! I'd rather have a quick turnaround than being in limbo for days/weeks/months like other firms do.

Despite being a one-member team, I feel like Willkie has their whole recruitment process worked efficiently.
    Yeah I must say that Willkie is absolutely stellar in terms of its efficiency, especially considering they're just 1 person. They replied to me very quickly post-app. Makes you wonder why so many other, much bigger firms leave candidates hanging for months

Last edited:
    Reactions: OB and SLKEJRWOI97

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Does anyone know if there are any application writing resources here on TCLA?

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I'm struggling to make my applications really tailored to each firm so would really appreciate if there's any guides/blogs/content on TCLA that can help with this.

Thanks in advance!

@Jaysen / @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, thank you - i've been invited to interview so would it be a good idea to email them or just mention on the day?
    I would advise them ahead of the interview. Send them an email, explaining the discrepancy and how the mistake was made and ask whether there is any further information you should provide to them ahead of your interview.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Happy friday everyone. Remember to take a day off and not think about applications (if you can)!

Always here to help :)
    Amy Poehler Popcorn GIF by NBC

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.