TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Is a law firm (direct TC application) likely to contact a work experience from 2019? from abroad? It's my only legal work experience and it only lasted a couple of days.
I would like to know to give them a heads up because they are obviously not English.

Please detail any academic awards, positions of responsibilities and/or any interests or hobbies outside of academics and work experience (please list in bullet points).Max 300 words

What do you find attractive about Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's sectors/departments and which area(s) are you interested in having exposure to in your Training Contract any why? Max 500 words

In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting? Max 300 words

Imagine you are a trainee at BCLP and you have been working on a task for an associate in the Finance department. The associate is away and a partner in the department urgently wants a summary note of the research to send to a client, and has asked you to send it to them by tomorrow morning. How would you react? Max 300 words
for the first question what kind of things would you put? Can you give examples please? if you don't have any notable awards etc, what can you highlight instead? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for the first question what kind of things would you put? Can you give examples please? if you don't have any notable awards etc, what can you highlight instead? @Jessica Booker
It isn’t just awards - any extra curriculars can be included in here from school, college or university. Anything where you have taken responsibility or committed to something outside of your studies or work.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2021
Hi, I’m trying prepare for an interview with a big city law firm that is strong in most practice areas, and I’m really struggling trying to find a specific news story that has an impact on the firm (if the question comes up)

Anyone know how specific the news story should be that I mention? For example I thought that the huge rise in m&a transactions is a big one but is that too obvious / not specific enough?

Plus, I’m just not sure how to analyse a news story in a way that links it to law firms? (Is it as obvious as just, which law departments it’ll involve/ it might create more business)? Any help much appreciated
What firm is this for? :)

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Im stumped on whether to relate the question 'Which business news story has interested you the most in the last 12 months and why?' back to the firm. Ive seen some examples that havent done this and I kind of like my answer as it is. What do you guys think?

Reactions: lila122

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Anyone else waiting on a lot of winter VS applications, including rolling, that they just haven't heard back from at all? I applied for a lot of winter VS's throughout august + september, have heard outcomes from only HSF, A&O and JD so far (all unsuccessful). Had my hopes up that I'd have a clearer picture about my applications by now - worried it's cutting it close (in terms of notifying the firm I'm paralegalling for etc)

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Anyone else waiting on a lot of winter VS applications, including rolling, that they just haven't heard back from at all? I applied for a lot of winter VS's throughout august + september, have heard outcomes from only HSF, A&O and JD so far (all unsuccessful). Had my hopes up that I'd have a clearer picture about my applications by now - worried it's cutting it close (in terms of notifying the firm I'm paralegalling for etc)
Totally agree! I have 5 firms I’m still waiting to hear back from and it’s only 6 weeks until the VS are meant to start. I totally appreciate the tight turnaround the firms have but I feel in an uncomfortable position whereby asking for holiday so late. The stress of waiting is also a bit much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.