Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys,

So I have just accepted my place on a vacation scheme with Clyde & Co !! Litreally so happy right now. Thank you to everybody on this thread for all the help and encouragement along the way !!
Well done Shane! All the best for it and hope you secure the TC!! Enjoy your deserved celebrations!! :)

Reactions: SB and S30

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I'm very overjoyed to share that I have finally accepted a training contract with the literal firm of my dreams, after over two years of applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. Funnily enough, the firm I will be joining had previously rejected me at the application stage just last year!

For everyone still chasing that elusive training contract, I just wanted to share a small reminder to never let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams. I come from a fairly unconventional academic background, having completed only two years of my law degree in the UK instead of the full three. I have never been able to secure a vacation scheme, and most of my work experience was obtained in local law firms back in my home country. I cannot count the number of times I was discouraged by career advisers, GR at law fairs, and even a partner at an open day, who all told me that I would be extremely unlikely to succeed on direct training contract applications because I had not completed a vacation scheme, or because I didn’t have any UK work experience.

For a while, I let the naysayers get to me. Any ACs I did manage to land, I attributed to pure luck, and performed extremely poorly in interviews as a result. However, I was lucky to have an amazing support group who helped me regather my confidence, and this cycle, I had the unbelievable fortune of securing not one but three training contract offers as the result of direct training contract applications.

Believe that you can and you are more than halfway there. Know your worth, and give yourself credit for getting as far as you have. I remember being in absolute despair over countless rejections, failed tests and interviews, and feeling like I could never make it, or that I wasn’t good enough. Take the time to reflect on how far you have come since you first started, and remember that even though you may not be the best, you will be set apart by your determination to be better.

Wishing all of you the very best of luck for your applications, and thank you to every member of this wonderful TCLA community for your support and comradeship! Looking forward to hearing of all of your successes this year!
    What a nice way to start a week! Delighted for you @Abstruser - you are always so helpful on here and I wish you all the best for your TC :)

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Reactions: SB and Alice G

Uyo

Feb 4, 2019
    Hi guys,

So I have just accepted my place on a vacation scheme with Clyde & Co !! Litreally so happy right now. Thank you to everybody on this thread for all the help and encouragement along the way !!

Congratulations Shane! Hope you go on to get the training contract! I wanted to ask if you got your offer through a phone call or an email?

• 🏆
    Reactions: gnct

Katie R

Jan 20, 2019
    Hey everyone,

I have been offered a VS but with the choice of dates. The Spring Scheme is a week long and the Summer is 2 weeks. Do you think its better to do one or two weeks at a firm? The one week dates fit better around exams and deadlines (I'm an LPC student so have exams until the end of June) but I'm worried about whether I would be more likely to get offered a TC if I was to do 2 weeks.

D

Deleted member 613

I unfortunately failed the WG and it took them 6 days to get back to me. But, this was also before the Christmas break they are most likely way busier now.

Anyone heard anything today about AC for Clifford Chance Training Contract applications?

For Links, did they explicitly say you hadn't progressed because of your WG mark? I received a rejection post WG, but it didn't say why (whereas in past app cycles, they have cited my WG score as the reason)

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I have been offered a VS but with the choice of dates. The Spring Scheme is a week long and the Summer is 2 weeks. Do you think its better to do one or two weeks at a firm? The one week dates fit better around exams and deadlines (I'm an LPC student so have exams until the end of June) but I'm worried about whether I would be more likely to get offered a TC if I was to do 2 weeks.

I cannot believe there is a greater likelihood in either scheme as there would be no point in the firm offering a sping and summer scheme if they did not intend to look at recruitment from both in equal measure. Since few firms offer spring schemes. It would mean that you would be freer for any further scheme offers that might come your way for the summer and not have to choose between conflicting dates. Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Last edited:

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Hey everyone,

If I were you, I would just pick the scheme that is best for you dates wise. Although it may be a little harder to prove yourself, you just have to make sure you get to know people quickly and really make the most of your time! I'm sure the firm would say to you that it doesn't matter which dates you do, as it would be completely unfair if they only offered spaces to their summer schemers and not those on the spring scheme.

In some ways you may even have an advantage, as during the spring scheme they won't yet have filled any spaces and if lots of people are good they may be more inclined to offer more TCs earlier than usual. :)

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    does anyone have any advice for the mishcon case study interview (/face-to-face case studies generally)?? literally can't find any information about it & this is my first ever interview so any help at all would be very appreciated!!!!

Hi Elsenat, I did the case study last week. Try not to stress, the actual interview itself was quite relaxed - they put you at ease. When you first arrive at Mishcon you and a few others (there were about 5 of us on my AC) will listen to a short presentation on the firm. Then you get split up and either do your case study straight away or have a half hour break first.

In terms of the case study itself, it is quite time pressured. Probably a good idea to try and write your notes to help you in the presentation as you read. Or alternatively allow yourself 10 minutes at the end to quickly write down your notes.

Goodluck!

Reactions: azbwcy and Salma
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.