Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Hey guys, I've got a silly question and I wonder if anyone can help me out with the answer.

Recently, Linklaters became the first magic circle firm to secure "Chinese law capability". What exactly does this mean? Is it just a regulatory thing?

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

Reactions: SB and Salma

Serah O

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hey guys, I've got a silly question and I wonder if anyone can help me out with the answer.

Recently, Linklaters became the first magic circle firm to secure "Chinese law capability". What exactly does this mean? Is it just a regulatory thing?

It probably mean they're able to advice on Chinese law.

Selina

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Haven't heard anything back from Gibson Dunn since the beginning of December!

I interviewed with them last week (quite a tight turnaround, only received an email about it exactly a week before) and someone I know had theirs on Thursday so I would assume it's ongoing! Haven't heard back from them yet since though.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Is anyone able to provide insight on what to expect from Mayer Brown telephone interview?

When I did the telephone interview last year, it was strengths-based and I got asked:

What keeps you motivated?
What practice areas are you interested in?
Time you took initiative?
How do you build a relationship?
If your senior colleague asked you to keep track of what might affect clients how would I?
And why is it important?
What kind of firms have you applied for?

SaaraK22

Standard Member
Oct 18, 2018
I interviewed with them last week (quite a tight turnaround, only received an email about it exactly a week before) and someone I know had theirs on Thursday so I would assume it's ongoing! Haven't heard back from them yet since though.

I still havent heard from then and I applied beginning of January, when did you apply?

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hi guys,

I have applied to some law firms recently, and as this is my second cycle - will it look bad to law firms that I have selected I have applied before to the firm. Will this be taken into consideration in a negative light, when looking at my application?

Thank you

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

It is a regulatory issue. Foreign law firms are restricted from offering Chinese law advice unless they partner up with a Chinese firm under the Shanghai Free Trade Zone (introduced in 2013). Linklaters formed an alliance with a smaller local law firm and sent quite a few of its lawyers over there. The firm was then granted government approval to practice Chinese law capability last year.

Here's a great article on this: https://www.leaders-in-law.com/legal-news/is-linklaters-china-alliance-a-game-changer/

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
    does anyone have any advice for the mishcon case study interview (/face-to-face case studies generally)?? literally can't find any information about it & this is my first ever interview so any help at all would be very appreciated!!!!

Serah O

Star Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    When I did the telephone interview last year, it was strengths-based and I got asked:

What keeps you motivated?
    What practice areas are you interested in?
    Time you took initiative?
    How do you build a relationship?
    If your senior colleague asked you to keep track of what might affect clients how would I?
    And why is it important?
    What kind of firms have you applied for?
    Thank you!

JL

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2018
    Hi everyone, bit last minute (have interview tomorrow) but could anyone help me with who Jones Day's competitors are and why? I have really struggled to find any specific reference to their competitors in my research. Thanks!

Hi Catherine,

I went about this using Legal 500. If you look at sections where Jones Day has tier-one status, then click on those links to a broader index of all firms, you should begin to see patterns emerge of firms it regularly competes with.

Hope this helps and best of luck for tomorrow!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I'm very overjoyed to share that I have finally accepted a training contract with the literal firm of my dreams, after over two years of applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. Funnily enough, the firm I will be joining had previously rejected me at the application stage just last year!

For everyone still chasing that elusive training contract, I just wanted to share a small reminder to never let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams. I come from a fairly unconventional academic background, having completed only two years of my law degree in the UK instead of the full three. I have never been able to secure a vacation scheme, and most of my work experience was obtained in local law firms back in my home country. I cannot count the number of times I was discouraged by career advisers, GR at law fairs, and even a partner at an open day, who all told me that I would be extremely unlikely to succeed on direct training contract applications because I had not completed a vacation scheme, or because I didn’t have any UK work experience.

For a while, I let the naysayers get to me. Any ACs I did manage to land, I attributed to pure luck, and performed extremely poorly in interviews as a result. However, I was lucky to have an amazing support group who helped me regather my confidence, and this cycle, I had the unbelievable fortune of securing not one but three training contract offers as the result of direct training contract applications.

Believe that you can and you are more than halfway there. Know your worth, and give yourself credit for getting as far as you have. I remember being in absolute despair over countless rejections, failed tests and interviews, and feeling like I could never make it, or that I wasn’t good enough. Take the time to reflect on how far you have come since you first started, and remember that even though you may not be the best, you will be set apart by your determination to be better.

Wishing all of you the very best of luck for your applications, and thank you to every member of this wonderful TCLA community for your support and comradeship! Looking forward to hearing of all of your successes this year!

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I'm very overjoyed to share that I have finally accepted a training contract with the literal firm of my dreams, after over two years of applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. Funnily enough, the firm I will be joining had previously rejected me at the application stage just last year!

For everyone still chasing that elusive training contract, I just wanted to share a small reminder to never let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams. I come from a fairly unconventional academic background, having completed only two years of my law degree in the UK instead of the full three. I have never been able to secure a vacation scheme, and most of my work experience was obtained in local law firms back in my home country. I cannot count the number of times I was discouraged by career advisers, GR at law fairs, and even a partner at an open day, who all told me that I would be extremely unlikely to succeed on direct training contract applications because I had not completed a vacation scheme, or because I didn’t have any UK work experience.

For a while, I let the naysayers get to me. Any ACs I did manage to land, I attributed to pure luck, and performed extremely poorly in interviews as a result. However, I was lucky to have an amazing support group who helped me regather my confidence, and this cycle, I had the unbelievable fortune of securing not one but three training contract offers as the result of direct training contract applications.

Believe that you can and you are more than halfway there. Know your worth, and give yourself credit for getting as far as you have. I remember being in absolute despair over countless rejections, failed tests and interviews, and feeling like I could never make it, or that I wasn’t good enough. Take the time to reflect on how far you have come since you first started, and remember that even though you may not be the best, you will be set apart by your determination to be better.

Wishing all of you the very best of luck for your applications, and thank you to every member of this wonderful TCLA community for your support and comradeship! Looking forward to hearing of all of your successes this year!

You fully deserve this all!! Many congratulations once again, wishing you all the success!

• 🤝
    Reactions: SB and Abstruser

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

I'm surprised to hear you received so much discouragement, but well done for proving them wrong!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.