TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Does anyone have any success stories of people with poor A levels securing TCs? I got ABC and all my other academics are strong (gcses, undergrad and postgrad) but I still feel like they hold me back - advice????
    Hi there, so I have A*AC and I constantly worry about the C - I know it's a bit better than ABC, but it still makes me worry. However, it has never held me back - I've had ACs with Baker McKenzie, A&O, Mayer Brown, King & Spalding and a couple of others and not once did they ask me about it. I think the key is to really sell yourself in your application and prove what you can bring despite some A-level grades say about you. As you said, you've done well since, so it is just a case of persevering. After all, to be blunt, there's not anything you can do now - so just prove yourself in other ways. Good luck!

future solicitor__

Junior Lawyer
    Aug 10, 2021
    Is it necessary to link the business story you're interested in to the firm you're applying to? I spoke with a trainee at DLA yesterday and they said I have to do this - but just wanted to check as the word count is very tight!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Is it necessary to link the business story you're interested in to the firm you're applying to? I spoke with a trainee at DLA yesterday and they said I have to do this - but just wanted to check as the word count is very tight!
    Nope, it is not necessary you have to show that you are interested in and understand the topic.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Some firms questions will explicitly ask for this, in which case yes. If it's not prompted by the question, I'd actually avoid it as then you're not really answering the question at hand in part of your answer.

This said, I would generally tend to select a business story that is relevant to the firm to show that your interests align with theirs but not everyone will agree on that point and it depends on the firm.

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    Apologies if this seems like a silly question but for the question

"Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you."

is it best to answer it in a STAR structure or would you just write about what the achievement is/entailed in one paragraph and then another separate point for why it's important?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.