TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS31

Distinguished Member
Jan 23, 2021
Does anyone have any idea on when we can expect to hear back from non-rolling firms that had their deadlines on the 1st/2nd/3rd of Jan? Like Kirkland, Debevoise, Milbank

I don't want to keep obsessively refreshing my email if it's too early to hear back haha

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Does anyone have any idea on when we can expect to hear back from non-rolling firms that had their deadlines on the 1st/2nd/3rd of Jan? Like Kirkland, Debevoise, Milbank

I don't want to keep obsessively refreshing my email if it's too early to hear back haha
Can vary massively. My kirkland PFO last year wasn't til late Feb.

Reactions: RS31

bhim

Jul 12, 2021
Okay, so what if you got the name of the firm wrong and then right, I was doing like 3 applications at once I think and 1 got muddled up and mentions the wrong firm name at that start but then corrects itself.

e.g. I think X applies to firm A... which is why firm B should do this... and then keeping the correct name: B throughout the rest.

Like I've clearly lost my chance at that firm, but should I tell them? I've looked and apply4law doesn't let me revoke the application.

*I think I'm going to email the firm and cancel my application, and see if I can reapply.*

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Do you mean in assessment centres? How can you know about the topics of commercial questions before the interview?
I think they mean on apps or for open-ended interview questions.

Also I don't think it's terribly common for interviewers to put you on the spot about some prescribed topic - I've heard of cases where you'll be given an article or a report to read and comment on, but they're not likely to just like... ask you to discuss a topic not of your choosing off the cuff. Some firms might do this, idk, but I haven't heard of anything like that and it seems like a rubbish way to interview.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Okay, so what if you got the name of the firm wrong and then right, I was doing like 3 applications at once I think and 1 got muddled up and mentions the wrong firm name at that start but then corrects itself.

e.g. I think X applies to firm A... which is why firm B should do this... and then keeping the correct name: B throughout the rest.

Like I've clearly lost my chance at that firm, but should I tell them? I've looked and apply4law doesn't let me revoke the application.
I wouldn't draw their attention to it. A lot of firms will bin your application off the bat for that, a handful are more forgiving - Slaughters have joked around about it and consider it non-fatal to an otherwise sterling application.

bhim

Jul 12, 2021
I wouldn't draw their attention to it. A lot of firms will bin your application off the bat for that, a handful are more forgiving - Slaughters have joked around about it and consider it non-fatal to an otherwise sterling application.
Ah okay, it's an American firm so I'm not sure what their take on the situation is. A friend recommend submitting a different app with a separate email address and asking the firm to withdraw the current one?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Ah okay, it's an American firm so I'm not sure what their take on the situation is. A friend recommend submitting a different app with a separate email address and asking the firm to withdraw the current one?
American firms aren't a monolith, and I wouldn't imagine that they have a categorically different view on this than UK firms.

As to resubmitting through another email, I personally wouldn't. That could be some kind of terms of use violation, though I'm not sure as I never read them (unlawyerly, I know). In any case it is certainly something upon which they would frown if it came to light.

Reactions: summer207

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That won’t work. Firm’s will be able to flag up duplicate applications even if you register with another email address.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ashurst TC Offer following VS :)
Amazing news! Congratulations

congrats GIF

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Ugh I sounded SO robotic on my VI. Literally awfully robotic and repeated a lot :( so disappointed. I’m soooo bad at these. It’s weird because I’m usually quite good at interviews and have no problem passing that stage, but I just struggle with VIs so much :(
Hi, I'm sure others would have better advice. For me, I just try to get used to getting hype when speaking to myself on the screen (it was very strange at first but it helps me to sound more engaging). Also, try to memorise only the broader points you're trying to make and avoid thinking too much about how you going to answer a question line-by-line, which would help you sound less scripted. I hope it helps 👍

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

John Doe

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 18, 2021
Ugh I sounded SO robotic on my VI. Literally awfully robotic and repeated a lot :( so disappointed. I’m soooo bad at these. It’s weird because I’m usually quite good at interviews and have no problem passing that stage, but I just struggle with VIs so much :(
I can also relate to the problem of repeating yourself. I literally just had a VI and in the middle of one of my answers, I got lost in my own train of thoughts and just started to repeat myself. Perhaps each time try only to make 2/3 distinct points and try to answer as concisely as possible? And doing some practice beforehand will surely help. It's something that I need to work on as well, so good luck to you and me!

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
I can also relate to the problem of repeating yourself. I literally just had a VI and in the middle of one of my answers, I got lost in my own train of thoughts and just started to repeat myself. Perhaps each time try only to make 2/3 distinct points and try to answer as concisely as possible? And doing some practice beforehand will surely help. It's something that I need to work on as well, so good luck to you and me!
Thank you :) the thing is i know all these tips I just think the questions are always ones I haven’t prepared for it and it throws me off unfortunately

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
You're your own worst critic (have I got this expression right?) I'm sure the VI went a lot smoother than you think! I know what it's like to sound robotic though 😅 this is probably tmi, but I have such a stiff poker face that I could be the happiest person in the world and in my mind, I feel like everyone can see my enthusiasm but no, people say I'm deadpan. I always feel like with VIs, you have to overdo it ever so slightly because the energy is a lot different when you're on screen compared to in person. Watch some enthusiastic YouTubers and just see what their facial expressions are like, tone, body language. But also be careful not to overdo it lol

• 🤝
Reactions: John Doe, AvniD and ajt24

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Thank you :) the thing is i know all these tips I just think the questions are always ones I haven’t prepared for it and it throws me off unfortunately
    I had that! I found sometimes slightly underpreparing yourself is helpful as you can get information overload and panic. Also, not writing any notes in your prep time to distract you. However that’s just me. Also, I find it helpful to prepare for the unexpected, so you can start reacting without being thrown off. Get friends or family or even using any resources that do mock video interviews online to help.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and tt_xo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.