TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who applied for White and Case how long did you make their cover letter how many words was 750 words too much. Also as they don't specify in the cover letter what to discuss should you discuss extra curriculum activities in the cover letter or not as they have a separate application question for extra curriculum activities.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    For those who applied for White and Case how long did you make their cover letter how many words was 750 words too much. Also as they don't specify in the cover letter what to discuss should you discuss extra curriculum activities in the cover letter or not as they have a separate application question for extra curriculum activities.
    I did why commercial law, why them, why me and it was around 800 words and I made it through to interviews. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If they have a separate question in their application, I wouldn’t repeat your extra curriculars, however they could be referenced.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I did why commercial law, why them, why me and it was around 800 words and I made it through to interviews. :)
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and that is good congratulations. I asked as some law firms ask for short cover letters some law firms require long cover letters like 900 words so just wanted to ask for guidance.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If they have a separate question in their application, I wouldn’t repeat your extra curriculars, however they could be referenced.
    Thank you for this and also their extra curriculum activities question does not have a word count so was not going to add it in the cover letter but just wanted to be sure.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and that is good congratulations. I asked as some law firms ask for short cover letters some law firms require long cover letters like 900 words so just wanted to ask for guidance.
    The graduate recruitment are testing you - that’s why there is no word count. They said it in their open days. They want to see a strong cover letter as long or short as you think but really make sure there is no “waffle”. So just ask yourself if you REALLY need to write what you had written is what I did.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    The graduate recruitment are testing you - that’s why there is no word count. They said it in their open days. They want to see a strong cover letter as long or short as you think but really make sure there is no “waffle”. So just ask yourself if you REALLY need to write what you had written is what I did.
    Thank you for this this is interesting.

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    Mine was around 1000 words (long I know lol) and I made it to interview last year

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    Also general advice to anyone applying to W&C - at the open day they said they really want to see an interest in the guaranteed international secondment in the cover letter and to think about how this secondment would benefit you/what skills it would give you and how this benefits W&C e.g. knowledge of regulations diff markets and jurisdictions, which would allow you to develop a global mindset which they obvs want in their lawyers. Hope this helps :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Bit slow, but HSF AC!

Skadden telephone interview invite through this morning - applied 08/12!

Ashurst TC Offer following VS
    @Ray00313 @GeorgieW @halfrm congratulations!!! So happy for you 🥳🥳🥳🥳

I’m still waiting on Bakers post-WG (sat the WG 10 days ago), but have heard some people hearing back much quicker.

I'm also waiting for Bakers post-WG (did the WG on 7th so I suppose it'll take some time)

@Law2021vacschemer @YUKI1201 I know the wait is the absolute worst but try to be patient! Teams have only started to come back to work after the holidays this past week so they will take time catching up to apps. Also, I'd recommend following up only if you don't hear back within 3-4 weeks after taking the test. Let us know how it goes for you 🤞

Reactions: Law2021vacschemer

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all! I'm drafting my cover letter and not sure which approach I should take. In explaining 'why me', would it be better to 1) just give details of experiences and let the GR infer the skills or 2) highlight what skills I developed in those experiences and describe how they can be applied in commercial law/the firm?
    Appreciate any tips!!

I have an interview at Slaughter & May coming up and have a question about answering questions like 'why the firm' and 'why commercial law'. I have already written a cover letter that covers these two questions. Does that mean I should expand on what I have already written, repeat it in new words or have a completely new answer?

@YUKI1201 I'd suggest stating a skill/attribute you have ➡️ giving an example of how you have applied it ➡️ linking your skill/attribute back to the firm's ethos/vision/goals by stating how you'll apply it in your role. Does this make sense?

@ellek having core reasons and being ready to expand on them with further mini-reasons always worked for me. For example, if I said that I liked a firm's training contract structure, I'd go into specifics about what I liked in particular, including secondment opportunities, seat structure, the support I'd have during my training etc. I hope this helps!

Ugh I sounded SO robotic on my VI. Literally awfully robotic and repeated a lot :( so disappointed. I’m soooo bad at these. It’s weird because I’m usually quite good at interviews and have no problem passing that stage, but I just struggle with VIs so much :(

I can also relate to the problem of repeating yourself. I literally just had a VI and in the middle of one of my answers, I got lost in my own train of thoughts and just started to repeat myself. Perhaps each time try only to make 2/3 distinct points and try to answer as concisely as possible? And doing some practice beforehand will surely help. It's something that I need to work on as well, so good luck to you and me!

VIs can be really difficult to master- I remember practising day and night to try and get better at them (not saying that you have to do the same! 😅) I made a post recently with my best tips and resources to practice that I hope will be helpful to you. Let me know how you get on with your applications! Wishing you the best 😇

Reactions: John Doe and kab

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Also general advice to anyone applying to W&C - at the open day they said they really want to see an interest in the guaranteed international secondment in the cover letter and to think about how this secondment would benefit you/what skills it would give you and how this benefits W&C e.g. knowledge of regulations diff markets and jurisdictions, which would allow you to develop a global mindset which they obvs want in their lawyers. Hope this helps :)
    Thank you for this great advice this is really helpful.

• Love
    Reactions: aspiringlawyer123_

RebeccaJane

Jan 8, 2022
    I spoke to a future Pinsents trainee from my uni and he said that he only heard back and got invited to take the psychometric test at the end of January, so I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing back yet now. His application was with the Leeds office though so idk if the timeframe is any different for other offices.

I also emailed grad rec to ask a few questions before I submitted my application and they said this:
    "Of the 1500+ applications received approximately 200 will be invited to undertake an online psychometric test, with those who pass being invited to an assessment centre where they will have a one to one commercial/behavioural interview with a Partner and a business simulation exercise. The assessment centres are conducted in February, virtually and/or in house".​
    Thank you :))

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.