TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Last year I researched the Gowling games ect and tried to be someone I wasn’t due to that, I didn’t make it to the VI, this year I played the game as myself and my report came out so much better and more positive.
Morale of the story is just try your best to be natural don’t focus on what others say everyone’s experiences of games is different and everyone enjoys/doesn’t like the same things ☺️ good luck everyone x
Haven’t been on here for a while but - made it to gowlings VI

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Anyone applied to gateley and then within a couple of hours get an email stating “You will shortly be invited to complete our interactive assessment as part of the next stage of our recruitment process”

this made me think I’ve passed the application stage or is this automated?

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Complete noob here -- im writing my white & case cover letter, and in the 'why W&C' paragraph I mentioned their global reach and training structure (guaranteed overseas secondment + mix of contentious/non-contentious. -- just wondering if this is too generic, or if there's a way to elevate at all?

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    I'm trying to research sale and purchase agreements but can't find any good websites that explain things simply (for a non-law student). Does anyone have any advice on where to look?
    As a non-law student I am absolutely loving Chris Stoakes' "All You Need to Know About the City"
    I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure if it incudes S&Ps specifically but its the best thing I have found for improving my commercial awareness as it puts the anatomy of the city in seriously understandable laymen's terms.

Commercial awareness is overwhelming for non-law students as there are so many resources out there you don't know where to start. I have just been highlighting this and tabbing it up like I would a textbook and its been really helpful.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Complete noob here -- im writing my white & case cover letter, and in the 'why W&C' paragraph I mentioned their global reach and training structure (guaranteed overseas secondment + mix of contentious/non-contentious. -- just wondering if this is too generic, or if there's a way to elevate at all?
    That content is good to cover, it's something they make a big deal of. The way to elevate it is to give a compelling explanation of why those things appeal *to you.*

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    As a non-law student I am absolutely loving Chris Stoakes' "All You Need to Know About the City"
    I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure if it incudes S&Ps specifically but its the best thing I have found for improving my commercial awareness as it puts the anatomy of the city in seriously understandable laymen's terms.

Commercial awareness is overwhelming for non-law students as there are so many resources out there you don't know where to start. I have just been highlighting this and tabbing it up like I would a textbook and its been really helpful.
    I understand the love, I actually read it when I feel am failing at everything. I feel good knowing I can understand something about the commercial world lol

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

If people want to boost commercial awareness and have fun doing it, read Barbarians at the Gate. Essential reading for anyone interested in PE but also touches on M&A more broadly, corporate governance, finance, all kinds.

A slightly more esoteric companion piece I've been enjoying lately is The Predators' Ball, which revolves around the development of the junk bond market which fuelled the 80s takeover boom.

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    That content is good to cover, it's something they make a big deal of. The way to elevate it is to give a compelling explanation of why those things appeal *to you.*
    Thank you! I was afraid it may be a bit too generic as they're not the only firm to offer these. Would you say 2-3 sentences are enough to justify my motivations? I'm never sure how much detail you're supposed to go in!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Thank you! I was afraid it may be a bit too generic as they're not the only firm to offer these. Would you say ~2 sentences are enough to justify my motivations? I'm never sure how much detail you're supposed to go in!
    It depends what your motivations are. I realise this is vague but say as much as you need to, and no more.

Also AFAIK WC are the ONLY firm to guarantee/require an overseas secondment - this is very different from a firm that runs them but maybe only 20% of trainees get to go in any given year. Apart from the fact that going abroad is cool and fun, also think about what it might mean about the firm's values - is WC committed, in a way others aren't, to training truly international lawyers, to building a truly international brand, to running a truly integrated global operation underpinned by strong relationships between offices?

Reactions: gg332dd

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    It depends what your motivations are. I realise this is vague but say as much as you need to, and no more.

Also AFAIK WC are the ONLY firm to guarantee/require an overseas secondment - this is very different from a firm that runs them but maybe only 20% of trainees get to go in any given year. Apart from the fact that going abroad is cool and fun, also think about what it might mean about the firm's values - is WC committed, in a way others aren't, to training truly international lawyers, to building a truly international brand, to running a truly integrated global operation underpinned by strong relationships between offices?

I didn't think of it this way, this helps so much thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Dig a level (or two deeper):

Why does the firm offer a guaranteed overseas secondment?
    What is the benefit to you of a secondment?
    Why is a mix of contentious and non-contentious work important to you?
    What is it about the firm's global reach that is different to other firm's that also have a global reach?

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    I spoke to a future Pinsents trainee from my uni and he said that he only heard back and got invited to take the psychometric test at the end of January, so I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing back yet now. His application was with the Leeds office though so idk if the timeframe is any different for other offices.

I also emailed grad rec to ask a few questions before I submitted my application and they said this:
    "Of the 1500+ applications received approximately 200 will be invited to undertake an online psychometric test, with those who pass being invited to an assessment centre where they will have a one to one commercial/behavioural interview with a Partner and a business simulation exercise. The assessment centres are conducted in February, virtually and/or in house".​
    Thanks for the info! Any clue on whether this test is the same as WG, or is it tougher/easier??

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.