TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    Hi everyone, hope everybody is doing well. Just a quick technical question. What partnership model does Slaughters use, and how is it different say from Clifford Chance? Or is it all the same? Most pages simply refer to Slaughters maintaining a "traditional lockstep". However, I know for a fact Cc does not run an "eat what you kill" either. Just curious if anyone has any ideas I can build off. Thanks in advance :)

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi everyone, hope everybody is doing well. Just a quick technical question. What partnership model does Slaughters use, and how is it different say from Clifford Chance? Or is it all the same? Most pages simply refer to Slaughters maintaining a "traditional lockstep". However, I know for a fact Cc does not run an "eat what you kill" either. Just curious if anyone has any ideas I can build off. Thanks in advance :)
    Slaughters is one of the only firms that still has the traditional lockstep, which means your pay increases with your seniority and time at the firm. Most other MC firms have a “modified lockstep”, which means it’s a combination of seniority / time at the firm / output or work. It’s US firms which mostly employ the “eat what you kill” model, whereby your profits are determined by the work you bring to the firm, not how long you’ve been there.

• 🏆
    Reactions: rose888, Adrian_S and AvniD

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Just did my VI for Irwin Mitchell and for a few questions i got cut off. I've done a few VI's and never feel good about them- I feel like I present myself in a much better way in live interviews. Feeling so disheartened by how many law firms recruitment processes have a video interview element that just doesnt accurately portray ones personality- i come off as cold and not friendly I feel.... :( i fucking hate the application process for law firms. I understand they receive thousands of applications but just feel that it's not personal at all and is centered around quickly cutting down the pool of people by criteria that is not relevant/representative of what you are actually capable of and what you can bring to the firm....

mome101

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 30, 2021
    Just did my VI for Irwin Mitchell and for a few questions i got cut off. I've done a few VI's and never feel good about them- I feel like I present myself in a much better way in live interviews. Feeling so disheartened by how many law firms recruitment processes have a video interview element that just doesnt accurately portray ones personality- i come off as cold and not friendly I feel.... :( i fucking hate the application process for law firms. I understand they receive thousands of applications but just feel that it's not personal at all and is centered around quickly cutting down the pool of people by criteria that is not relevant/representative of what you are actually capable of and what you can bring to the firm....
    True! I have a bit of a resting B face and so I'm also afraid that I may come across as cold and then the firm might not wanna know me

Reactions: ellwilsen

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    I

The thing is RG is not really an equal playing field in itself. There is quite a gap in ‘prestige’ or whatever you want to call it between UCL/ LSE law compared to less known RG’s for example. I’m not saying it’s right or correct but it’s just about reputation and probably difficulty of admission.
    Surprisingly, Slaughter and May would be a good firm to apply to

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Not too sure but I know Shearman prefers Oxbridge as it adds prestige to the firm not sure about others tho
    As an Oxford grad I don't really see how employing Oxbridge students enhances the reputation of the firm per se. In fact, a fair number of fellow "jurisprudence" students are totally not fit for teamworking, the corporate environment, or working with others in general, because of their personality traits. Likewise, I believe that oftentimes better candidates can be found at RG and non-RG universities: the candidates that will be a better fit for the firm's long-term success. What Oxbridge students do get, however, is a massive advantage when it comes to applying. For instance, pre-covid firms would hold interviews in Oxford, so students did not have to travel to London and could prep at ease. Also, firms keep coming all the time and organise free drinks, dinners, and events, such as „meet XY firm” in Oxford, which provides students with massive networking opportunities, again, at ease. In November, HL randomly sent free power banks that could be collected from the law library maybe to market themselves. Moreover, the careers service is very OP, with ex magic circle recruiters going through your application with you. These advantages partly explain why it may seem that Oxbridge students are so often recruited; they just have massive advantages over other applicants when it comes to applying.

Last edited:

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    As an Oxford grad I don't really see how employing Oxbridge students per se brings the reputation of the firm up. In fact, a fair number of fellow "jurisprudence" students are totally not fit for teamworking, the corporate environment, or working with others in general, because of their personality traits. Likewise, I believe that oftentimes better candidates can be found at RG and non-RG universities: the candidates that will be a better fit for the firm's long-term success. What Oxbridge students do get, however, is a massive advantage when it comes to applying. For instance, pre-covid firms would hold interviews in Oxford, so students did not have to travel to London and could prep at ease. Also, firms keep coming all the time and organise free drinks, dinners, and other events in Oxford, which provides students with massive netwoking opportunities, again, at ease. Moreover, the careers service is very OP, with ex magic circle recruiters going through your application with you. These advantage partly explain why it seems that Oxbridge students are so often recruited; they just have massive advantages over other applicants.
    idk if I was just a bit clueless but that whole second part about the advantages Oxford students (and I'm sure Cambridge for that matter) get is awful. It's just disappointing when you're non-RG and absolutely sweating it out for just an interview (or any glimmer of hope) and doing open day applications everywhere just to chat to someone at the firm. I mean it's obvious now that you mention it, just a bit of a reality check lmao

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    idk if I was just a bit clueless but that whole second part about the advantages Oxford students (and I'm sure Cambridge for that matter) get is awful. It's just disappointing when you're non-RG and absolutely sweating it out for just an interview (or any glimmer of hope) and doing open day applications everywhere just to chat to someone at the firm. I mean it's obvious now that you mention it, just a bit of a reality check lmao
    yeah, fully agreed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.