TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have just received an email from Gibson Dunn saying that they are reviewing a high number of applications and they will respond to me as soon as possible. Do you think this is the first sign of a rejection letter?
No - it’s just a polite update to say they will get around to reviewing your application soon.

Reactions: GXA123 and Adrian_S

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Is it ok to ask the firm you're doing a vac scheme at if they're willing to provide any financial assistance for booking a hotel for the duration of the scheme? They haven't mentioned it at all so idk whether it's rude?

Reactions: M777

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Is it ok to ask the firm you're doing a vac scheme at if they're willing to provide any financial assistance for booking a hotel for the duration of the scheme? They haven't mentioned it at all so idk whether it's rude?
    Some firms do offer additional financial assistance for things like that. You just need to ask if they can. It won’t be construed as rude as they will be able to understand peoples finances are different.

Reactions: LEL, OB and h1

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Some firms do offer additional financial assistance for things like that. You just need to ask if they can. It won’t be construed as rude as they will be able to understand peoples finances are different.
    I don't imagine there's any harm in asking but I think the salary they provide for the duration of the scheme is intended to cover expenses such as accommodation/travel? Could be wrong but that's what I've always assumed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It isn’t rude to ask. You should just explain you will find it hard to cover the costs of a hotel and you are asking whether the firm can support in anyway. Make sure you have done some research as to how much the hotel might cost. My recommendation is to also look at halls of residence as these tend to be the cheapest option for a period of a week or two. You might also find some cheaper AirBnB type properties too. You don’t have to be based in central London either. You could easily commute from the outskirts of London (places like Croydon) too so think about where you will be looking to stay that will be more reasonably priced than a hotel in a EC postcode.

Many firms won’t be able to support with the costs of a hotel but I know a couple that have.

Other solutions include giving you your first pay up front (and booking the hotel on a pay when you arrive basis).

I have also known vacation scheme students to stay in partners’ houses/flats in London as they are typically living elsewhere for the summer/not commuting it to London as much. Also some trainees often have spare rooms, particularly if their house mates are on a secondment somewhere.

• 🤝
    Reactions: LEL

kaykay

Standard Member
    Jan 9, 2022
    Just received Simmons and Simmons VI + tests - Does anyone know what type of questions they ask? I have searched the TCLA forums but there are not any specific details?
    Hey! I hope the tests and interview went well! Do you mind if I ask you the types of questions in the interview and about the logical reasoning test?

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    Not too sure but I know Shearman prefers Oxbridge as it adds prestige to the firm not sure about others tho
    @Donuttime

I'm not sure who told you this, but you've been misinformed!

I want people from all universities to apply to Shearman. If you meet the entry criteria, please do apply.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    As an Oxford grad I don't really see how employing Oxbridge students enhances the reputation of the firm per se. In fact, a fair number of fellow "jurisprudence" students are totally not fit for teamworking, the corporate environment, or working with others in general, because of their personality traits. Likewise, I believe that oftentimes better candidates can be found at RG and non-RG universities: the candidates that will be a better fit for the firm's long-term success. What Oxbridge students do get, however, is a massive advantage when it comes to applying. For instance, pre-covid firms would hold interviews in Oxford, so students did not have to travel to London and could prep at ease. Also, firms keep coming all the time and organise free drinks, dinners, and events, such as „meet XY firm” in Oxford, which provides students with massive networking opportunities, again, at ease. In November, HL randomly sent free power banks that could be collected from the law library maybe to market themselves. Moreover, the careers service is very OP, with ex magic circle recruiters going through your application with you. These advantages partly explain why it may seem that Oxbridge students are so often recruited; they just have massive advantages over other applicants when it comes to applying.
    Re: prestige, there is a sort of halo effect that oxbridge educations confer. This is ofc somewhat true within the UK, but has become less significant in the past few decades.

It remains very significant outside of the UK. The broader English-speaking world (and much of the rest of it) is more than a little reverential about oxbridge, so you can see why this would be a plus for firms with int'l client bases - having oxbridge grads on staff underwrites your credibility. This is less of an issue for firms which are well-established in the London market, but US firms which are still 'challengers' in the UK are more inclined to lean into this.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    This may just be conjecture on my part but I think the dominance of oxbridge may in part also be due to self-selection out of the process by many students that went to lower ranked / non-RG institutions. I myself went non-RG for undergraduate and many undergraduate friends just won’t even apply to more prestigious law firms as they have decided they don’t stand a chance. I also think A level requirements play a role here, those that meet the A level grades of AAB - ABB require by management firms are more likely to have gone to oxbridge/RG universities.

I do agree that better universities get better access to law firms - my undergraduate university law fair was not visited by MC/US/SC/city law firms whereas they almost all attended the london RG I did my masters at and held exclusive events for that university as well.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    This may just be conjecture on my part but I think the dominance of oxbridge may in part also be due to self-selection out of the process by many students that went to lower ranked / non-RG institutions. I myself went non-RG for undergraduate and many undergraduate friends just won’t even apply to more prestigious law firms as they have decided they don’t stand a chance. I also think A level requirements play a role here, those that meet the A level grades of AAB - ABB require by management firms are more likely to have gone to oxbridge/RG universities.

I do agree that better universities get better access to law firms - my undergraduate university law fair was not visited by MC/US/SC/city law firms whereas they almost all attended the london RG I did my masters at and held exclusive events for that university as well.
    Yes, in my view firms should combat such harmful biases, because their existence, apart from being wrong, limits the firms’ talent pool.

Reactions: Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

Self-selection is absolutely a huge part of it. Interesting point about A levels, I hadn't thought of that (didn't do A levels and elected to go to a less prestigious uni in my home country cause I liked the programme there better).

I did my LLM at a London RG and yeah, the access and support there was miles beyond what I found in my UG or GDL (City, which is great for barristers but thin on the ground for solicitors' firms)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.