TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubin

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Hi all! Question about Aspiring Solicitors’ mock interview.
    On the page, it says I can only book mock interviews for affiliate law firms. But when booking, it says partner firms. These are not the same thing. I’m trying to use it for Bird & Bird, however I’m not sure if I’m eligible since it’s only an affiliate firm and not a partner firm.
    Does anyone have any guidance?
    Thanks!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    @AvniD

Could you help me with the following aswell pls (White & Case app):

Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.

- Is it okay to bullet-point for this?
    - There is no word count- how much would be too much for this (my answer is quite long given the q asks about quite alot)?
    - Is it okay to separate into sections using headings- i.e. 1)Interests and extra-curricular activities; 2)positions of responsibility; 3)achievements
    I'd use paragraphs, assigning about 2-3 lines per interest/activity, and avoid headings. You could, however, put the interests/activity's name in bold or underline it, if the system allows for it, and then continue with your paragraph. I'd keep it under 500 words as well as Jessica said.

Reactions: TCApp2021

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Hi all! Question about Aspiring Solicitors’ mock interview.
    On the page, it says I can only book mock interviews for affiliate law firms. But when booking, it says partner firms. These are not the same thing. I’m trying to use it for Bird & Bird, however I’m not sure if I’m eligible since it’s only an affiliate firm and not a partner firm.
    Does anyone have any guidance?
    Thanks!
    Hey!

I'm also an AS member and had a quick look at the email they sent us after completing Aspire. This is what it says about interviews there: " Mock interviews are strictly reserved for those who are invited to an assessment centre or interview with and AS Founder or Affiliate law firm only." So I think you'll be able to book one. :) And good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: Zubin

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Dear @Jessica Booker,

I have just submitted my application to Osborne Clarke, but I only looked at the references section today.
    The firm required two references, in terms of the places where we have worked. I have contacted my second reference, but he has not gotten back to me yet. So I just put NA on the application form, where they asked for references. Should I email graduate recruitment when my second reference responds?

I have submitted my application already with the NA. Should I email graduate recruitment when he responds?

Kind Regards,
    Rijul

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Dear @Jessica Booker,

I have just submitted my application to Osborne Clarke, but I only looked at the references section today.
    The firm required two references, in terms of the places where we have worked. I have contacted my second reference, but he has not gotten back to me yet. So I just put NA on the application form, where they asked for references. Should I email graduate recruitment when my second reference responds?

I have submitted my application already with the NA. Should I email graduate recruitment when he responds?

Kind Regards,
    Rijul
    Yes, you can do. Although I would just wait until you have heard back from them. It won’t impact your application and how it is reviewed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So sorry @Jessica Booker

I have one more question regarding this application.

I accidentally put one of my work experience entries in the wrong order.

Will this be a strike or an instant application rejection.

Regards,
    Rijul
    I don’t know in all honesty. It will make it harder for your reader to understand your journey/story, so rather than it being a strike or an automatic rejection, you are just making it a lot harder for them to understand.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, does anyone know how long an LPC offer from the University of Law lasts for before there is the need to accept? Thank you! :)
    Whatever it is, push for the offer to be extended for as long as you need to. You are the person in demand here, not them and they won’t sell all their LPC places (despite what they tell you). You can often signs up days before the course starts, but they prey on basically getting you to commit ASAP by a whole range of tactics. You really don’t need to be pressurised into anything and could just continue to ask them to push your offer out until a couple of weeks before the course starts.

Reactions: kitty_kat

LaraBeth

Oct 9, 2019
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any experience finding work before starting a TC with Jones Kemp? Applied online and am now being asked for a lot of personal information to register, and could not find too much information about them/reviews online so just wanted to double check that people have had good experiences with them. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had any experience finding work before starting a TC with Jones Kemp? Applied online and am now being asked for a lot of personal information to register, and could not find too much information about them/reviews online so just wanted to double check that people have had good experiences with them. Thanks!
    Providing a lot of details for a recruitment t agency is quite standard. They need all of this information to check your background/experience.

They are a reputable recruitment agency though and have had contracts to supply temp paralegals at more than one of the firms I have worked for.

LaraBeth

Oct 9, 2019
    Providing a lot of details for a recruitment t agency is quite standard. They need all of this information to check your background/experience.

They are a reputable recruitment agency though and have had contracts to supply temp paralegals at more than one of the firms I have worked for.
    Thank you so much! Just wanted to double check!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.