TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Pinsent PFO post AC

Now i would like to say I'm surprised based off of my performance from the in tray exercise but i have just read my feedback (which was delivered on amberjack not via a human) and i actually am surprised. I met every single one of their capabilities they were looking for "natural talent, strong potential" and only got "showed some strengths" for attention to detail.

Maybe i'm delusional but i do think that is a little unfair and annoying to give feedback via a generic amberjack assessment report. I took the day off of work, travelled into central London to not get feedback from a human. i understand there are others so they can't get through everyone but even scheduling a call in the future regarding feedback or making it tailored via amberjack. I dunno.

I am not going to dwell as i knew my in tray did mess me up but maybe not that much? The firm not having my adjustments set in stone from the beginning did play a part but at least fieldfisher can give a telephone feedback after a TI.

The beginning of my cycle downfall starts here 😭
    I know how frustrating it is getting a report instead of a call!
    And it’s the main reason why didn’t know where to improve exactly after my winter vac scheme AC with HSF - i talked with someone and they had the same exact report and everything seemed okay 🤦🏻‍♀️ Honestly, after going through what felt like a marathon of countless assessments for a firm, the least they could do is give me a hint about what I'm doing wrong in a conversation with someone, not the report that could’t be less helpful

Reactions: Apple

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    Has anyone had post-AC Spring pfo for Milbank yet? Aware offers have gone out but not sure why PFO taking so long - just want to get some feedback at the very least
    I sent them a chaser email today. Poor form from them since grad rec told me on the day that they'd get back to us in 2 weeks regardless of the outcome.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    And it’s the main reason why didn’t know where to improve exactly after my winter vac scheme AC with HSF - i talked with someone and they had the same exact report and everything seemed okay 🤦🏻‍♀️ Honestly, after going through what felt like a marathon of countless assessments for a firm, the least they could do is give me a hint about what I'm doing wrong in a conversation with someone, not the report that could’t be less helpful
    Honestly, I felt exactly the same after my HSF AC.

The report felt very generalised and their report on my scenario interview just didn’t feel accurate in the slightest. Perhaps they have blanket statements and apply them to each candidate, but that still doesn’t feel sufficient. They know candidates will spend hours and hours getting to that stage and to just give something that’s effectively automated just doesn’t sit well with me.

Know they’re more focused on those who actually have offers at that stage but is still incredibly unhelpful in the process.

Marissa

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2020
    @Jessica Booker Apologies if something like this already exists but I think it would be good we had a separate thread (also featured) for coping with stress and anxiety during the application season. Just a thought.

I’m sure we all find ourselves constantly refreshing our emails after making 10+ applications and waiting to hear back. And when others post about an AC, WG or VI invite, our brain goes into overdrive and we begin to predict/assume our fate if we haven’t heard anything. I think we need something to encourage ourselves to build more healthy habits for eg, to not think the worst, or perhaps put our emails on silent so we can actually concentrate on our work/studies/activities throughout the day, lol. Some PFOs can be quite hard-hitting and I’d rather pick and chose when I was to digest such information because I have found that it has ruined my entire day at times.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Honestly, I completely agree with you and think that’s really poor from them.

When you’ve put in hours of research from the application stage to video interview prep to AC prep, let alone with the time/costs involved of travelling to London, I think giving you computerised Amberjack feedback is terrible. They’ve met you in person for a good few hours and have come to an informed decision, so you wouldn’t think it would be a great burden to give some genuine, helpful feedback.

Sorry about that, I think that’s really disappointing from PM.
    I actually called them to ask for feedback and was told "everyone get's a computerised one. it's how our assessor mark you"

I'm sorry but no, you don't hype everyone up at the AC that they were the final 30 of 2,500 applicants then give me the same feedback i got post blended assessment back in November. They are really taking "we're innovative and technology centric" to a whole other level. At least the lunch the provided was nice at the AC otherwise i wouldn't be soo forgiving 🤣

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    What's the contingency plan for people who have already graduated (and are currently doing the PGDL) and haven't secured the TC yet? I have no idea what I'll be doing after my PGDL. Tried my luck with the Civil Service but they received 60,000 apps. Is anyone in the same position?
    LLB grad here, i'm currently on a year long internship but when that ends i'm gonna try get a paralegal role maybe at my same company but also worrying 😭 not sure how i feel about self funding sqe without a TC

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.