Clifford Chance TC

Flk10

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
This statement could apply to any firm, though. Many firms recruit predominantly from vacation schemes and yet people still apply, especially if they're set on the firm and they're confident in their abilities to succeed on a Training Contract. People still get hired, even if they haven't gone through the vac scheme route (how else would firms fill vacancies if the vac scheme candidates weren't all up to scratch?). Absolutely nothing is lost here other than a bit of time and energy spent researching the firm and writing an application, but that applies with every firm.

That's particularly true here. As other people have said on this thread, they're not expressly excluding post-penultimate year students from applying. They're just making their ordinary application process more transparent. Many post-penultimates have secured TCs at CC by convincingly showcasing their skills, abilities and interest in the firm. That will equally apply this year, and it wouldn't surprised if a decent number of non-penultimates still get taken on for a TC.

If OP is absolutely set on Clifford Chance then they are absolutely not wasting their time by applying to the firm, and their application will probably be looked at. People should definitely be aware that non-penultimates don't get priority but it shouldn't completely put them off, and it definitely isn't a waste of time to do so.
It’s not just a case of other students not getting priority though- if they fill all their places with penultimate year students, those applications won’t even be looked at. Many firms recruit predominantly from VSs, but most (barring small intake US firms) will still review direct TC apps and a large number of places will still be offered under this route.

I think the video CC have published with the head of Grad Rec effectively goes as far as telling non-penultimate year students not to bother applying without actually saying those words- in their own words, these applicants will have very little prospect of success.

Of course if others are absolutely desperate to work at CC and still want to apply, they should. But I’d be astonished if the firm recruits many (if any) non-penultimate students this cycle having gone out of their way to advise them not to apply. So there will be an opportunity cost in terms of another application that could have been made to a firm that is happy to recruit anyone and treats all apps the same.

Reactions: JKs, Lawgirl123 and M777

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
It’s not just a case of other students not getting priority though- if they fill all their places with penultimate year students, those applications won’t even be looked at. Many firms recruit predominantly from VSs, but most (barring small intake US firms) will still review direct TC apps and a large number of places will still be offered under this route.

I think the video CC have published with the head of Grad Rec effectively goes as far as telling non-penultimate year students not to bother applying without actually saying those words- in their own words, these applicants will have very little prospect of success.

Of course if others are absolutely desperate to work at CC and still want to apply, they should. But I’d be astonished if the firm recruits many (if any) non-penultimate students this cycle having gone out of their way to advise them not to apply. So there will be an opportunity cost in terms of another application that could have been made to a firm that is happy to recruit anyone and treats all apps the same.

I agree with all this- I think what I meant to say was that there's definitely no harm in applying if someone is really dead set on applying, but it's not clear what criteria they're using for even considering non-penultimate apps nor is it clear how many places will be given to penultimates. I suspect the vast, vast majority will go to penultimates and SPARK candidates but if someone is absolutely dead set on CC (say if they've done a vac scheme or they just really love the firm), then they've got nothing to lose by firing off an application

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I am not convinced that other applications wouldn't be looked at. I strongly feel this is more to stop second/third/fourth applications and that some people with more unique profiles (e.g. career changers) will be looked upon differently than someone who applied to CC in first year, second year and their third year.

I could be wrong though!

Reactions: Romiras and M777

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I am not convinced that other applications wouldn't be looked at. I strongly feel this is more to stop second/third/fourth applications and that some people with more unique profiles (e.g. career changers) will be looked upon differently than someone who applied to CC in first year, second year and their third year.

I could be wrong though!

I hope you are correct!

I attended the open day in September 2019 and reading this news now, I am wondering why on earth I would have been accepted onto a competitive open day to spend the whole day with the firm if there was little prospect of me actually securing a TC there...o_O

That is unless they have tightened things up this year because of the fact that the had more applications than usual.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I hope you are correct!

I attended the open day in September 2019 and reading this news now, I am wondering why on earth I would have been accepted onto a competitive open day to spend the whole day with the firm if there was little prospect of me actually securing a TC there...o_O

That is unless they have tightened things up this year because of the fact that the had more applications than usual.

The way I read it was that people who had been on any feeder programmes (including open days) were the focus, not just Spark. It’s just Spark is the one that gets the most attention

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    If you are a strong candidate, you will get through (irrespective of whether you were 'Target' or Non-Target). As Jessica says, it is designed to deter poor / rushed / repeated (but weak) applicants. CC have already received a few 100 applications, many of which do not fully use the word count (for example), which is a massive waste of time for the Graduate Recruitment team.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you are a strong candidate, you will get through (irrespective of whether you were 'Target' or Non-Target). As Jessica says, it is designed to deter poor / rushed / repeated (but weak) applicants. CC have already received a few 100 applications, many of which do not fully use the word count (for example), which is a massive waste of time for the Graduate Recruitment team.

Although overall quality will be strong for a firm like CC, especially given the volume of applications, people would be surprised how many applications will just be way off the mark of meeting necessary and basic standards. I can see why CC may want to try and limit those type of applications, especially when application numbers go crazy where everyone is scattergun applying.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi everyone!

As the CC deadline approaches, I wanted to see whether my fellow non-priority candidates will be applying to CC or have applied?

Good luck!
    I’m a graduate and have applied for a punt. Had some stuff written from last cycle so wasn’t too much effort. I wonder how they decide if they want to consider us?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    I’m a graduate and have applied for a punt. Had some stuff written from last cycle so wasn’t too much effort. I wonder how they decide if they want to consider us?

Hey!

I wonder that too.

From what it sounds like, I think they will look at their priority pool first and invite who they want to invite. If they have any space or aren't happy with that pool, I think they'll only then look at all the non-priority candidates and invite who they want to invite.

Something to bear in mind is the WG Test too. So whilst they're only prioritising certain candidate pools, those applicants will reduce as they move through the process. I read earlier in this thread that the firm has already been internally rejecting candidates because they're not writing to the word count, not answering the question, etc. Undoubtedly people will be rejected on the performance of their test too.

But, given the video and the sentiment from the firm, I don't think they would "reserve" any places or look at non-priority applications unless they're happy with the priority pool. And I suspect they will be.

I could be wrong though and if I'm honest, it's quite disappointing that the firm took this move. I know of many final year law and graduates who have great skills and experiences which would be an asset to the firm. People like myself couldn't have applied until now due to other commitments e.g. caring, paying for household expenses so just as we're ready, the firm announces this. It seems disheartening.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if I was rejected given the above. So much so, I'd be really happy even if I got to WG stage (as it shows I have a chance).

Last edited:

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hey!

I wonder that too.

From what it sounds like, I think they will look at their priority pool first and invite who they want to invite. If they have any space or aren't happy with that pool, I think they'll only then look at all the non-priority candidates and invite who they want to invite.

Something to bear in mind is the WG Test too. So whilst they're only prioritising certain candidate pools, those applicants will reduce as they move through the process. I read earlier in this thread that the firm has already been internally rejecting candidates because they're not writing to the word count, not answering the question, etc. Undoubtedly people will be rejected on the performance of their test too.

But, given the video and the sentiment from the firm, I don't think they would "reserve" any places or look at non-priority applications unless they're happy with the priority pool. And I suspect they will be.

I could be wrong though and if I'm honest, it's quite disappointing that the firm took this move. I know of many final year law and graduates who have great skills and experiences which would be an asset to the firm. People like myself couldn't have applied until now due to other commitments e.g. caring, paying for household expenses so just as we're ready, the firm announces this, seems disheartening.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if I was rejected given the above. So much so, I'd be really happy even if I got to WG stage (as it shows I have a chance).
    100% agree with everything you’ve said. I think it’ll be really interesting to follow how this new hiring strategy plays out for the firm over the next 5/10 years.

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    100% agree with everything you’ve said. I think it’ll be really interesting to follow how this new hiring strategy plays out for the firm over the next 5/10 years.

Definitely.

I get their POV though. Their SPARK Scheme is a success and more and more of the TC offers are being taken up by SPARK Participants. But, I've always believed that having multiple pipelines gets you the best candidates and so fixating on one pool may not necessarily be wise. But they haven't pulled this out of thin air and likely have the data/experience to support their approach.

It'll actually be interesting to see whether they continue this policy in the next recruitment cycle or the cycle after given that this will be the first year they do it.

Although I do think it'll work for them and if it works well for them, then they don't really have to do anything. It just sucks for us non-target applicants haha

Reactions: OB

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi! I also applied for CC although I’m not in their priority pool (career change), but I have worked quite a bit with CC before.

I have to say I am quite disappointed by their process, I do understand trying to cut numbers but I think the way they have done it appears arbitrary and undermines efforts to appear as prioritising diversity (in a broader sense).

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi all!

Non-priority candidate for the TCs: Has anyone heard back at all?

The email below indicates that we'll find out by the end of today (14/12) if we move to the next stage (WG)?

If we aren't moved to the next stage, we'll find out by 18/12/2020.

If we are moved to the next stage, we have 48h to complete the test. We'll then hear back (but not sure when?)

Email 2 from CC when I submitted:

If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020.

If your application is not considered, you will receive an email confirming that your application will not be taken forward no later than 18th December 2020.

Email 1 from CC when I submitted:

If you are an applicant who does not fall into a year group listed for SPARK or London and Middle East Training Contracts, you will not be sent a Watson Glaser test at the moment, as your application is not being prioritised. If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020. At that stage, you will be sent a Watson Glaser test, which you will have 48 hours to complete.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi all!

Non-priority candidate for the TCs: Has anyone heard back at all?

The email below indicates that we'll find out by the end of today (14/12) if we move to the next stage (WG)?

If we aren't moved to the next stage, we'll find out by 18/12/2020.

If we are moved to the next stage, we have 48h to complete the test. We'll then hear back (but not sure when?)

Email 2 from CC when I submitted:

If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020.

If your application is not considered, you will receive an email confirming that your application will not be taken forward no later than 18th December 2020.

Email 1 from CC when I submitted:

If you are an applicant who does not fall into a year group listed for SPARK or London and Middle East Training Contracts, you will not be sent a Watson Glaser test at the moment, as your application is not being prioritised. If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020. At that stage, you will be sent a Watson Glaser test, which you will have 48 hours to complete.

Hi!

No I haven’t heard anything yet, I’m guessing it’s a no by now... Am assuming you haven’t heard anything yet? I wonder if anyone has at all? Annoying that the rejection time is so delayed, would be great to have a clear answer one way or the other.

I’ve also been following this on pg 8-9 of this thread too: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....pplications-discussion.2733/page-9#post-44522

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.